Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Tips for painting rubber

Message Subject: Tips for painting rubber
WiscoMusky
Posted 2/25/2015 3:41 AM (#755962)
Subject: Tips for painting rubber

I went to my musky shop and bought an assortment of clear base lair and color 2nd coat paints... But even after many coats and dozens of hours of being dry, the paint doesn't stick very well.

What brands of paint would your suggest for rubber, and what are some tips you have to get them to stick permanently? Thanks!!
Tackle Industries
Posted 2/25/2015 4:11 AM (#755963 - in reply to #755962)
Subject: Re: Tips for painting rubber

The good stuff has MEK in it. Nasty stuff.... In the chemical world we call it "Methyl Ethyl Death"... It is a fantastic solvent though to carry colors into plastisol. I am not sure if any lure parts store even ships the good plastisol paint anymore. I know Lure Craft had to stop last year due to safety concerns and rising shipping costs due to the danger of the material...
Junkman
Posted 2/25/2015 5:11 AM (#755967 - in reply to #755962)

I made up my mind a few years ago to really jump in to lure making. I carefully ordered all the stuff online, bought every size beaker, took a microwave out to the garage, and plunged in. It was winter so I didn't leave the garage door open. Well, days later I was in a dumpster with no clothes on and everything hurt really bad. My advice, save your brain, buy the baits at the musky shop!
thescottith
Posted 2/25/2015 6:15 AM (#755971 - in reply to #755967)

Check out Alumidust.
Marling
Posted 2/25/2015 8:32 AM (#755980 - in reply to #755962)
Subject: RE: Tips for painting rubber

I painted up some soft plastics with this stuff last year and a few are still in my tackle bag looking good... http://www.ispikeit.com/Store/c-97-colure-coat-water-based-soft-pla... . It's water based and not harsh at all to shoot. I just used my little masters air brush. It takes a few coats to get it looking good, and I found it works best if you paint the bait fresh out of the mold while it's still a little warm. Of course it's not as good as the nasty stuff, but I don't want cancer.

Edited by Marling 2/25/2015 8:34 AM
fishhawk50
Posted 2/25/2015 8:36 AM (#755982 - in reply to #755962)

LurePartsOnline.com stuff is called Spike-It. Dip-n Glo soft plastic paint. just modified a couple madussas with it. works well.. ventilate your work area though.
Potomac
Posted 2/25/2015 11:15 PM (#756175 - in reply to #755962)

Alumidust works really well...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)