Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Stocking the Crow River (west of metro)

Message Subject: Stocking the Crow River (west of metro)
tolle141
Posted 1/29/2015 8:46 AM (#750792)
Subject: Stocking the Crow River (west of metro)

Hi Everyone,

Has Muskies Inc ever considered a proposal to stock the Crow River in the west metro? It's a long, winding river that is largely rock, sand, and wood. Would present a very different angling experience close to the metro (medium sized river in an rural area). Would be particularly appealing to fly anglers. It serves as the border between Wright and Hennepin counties. I can't foresee any reasonable objections from the spearing community and it's a Mississippi tributary so one could argue that muskies are native to it. Neither I nor anyone I know have ever seen one in it (Stretch from St Michael to Delano).

Thoughts?

Ben Tollefson

Edited by tolle141 1/29/2015 8:48 AM
mnmusky
Posted 1/29/2015 8:59 AM (#750793 - in reply to #750792)
Subject: Re: Stocking the Crow River (west of metro)

Pelican lake is scheduled to be drained into it last I heard. That would be sweet to stock it but would they stay there Or migrate to ol miss? There is walleye in it.
Angler II
Posted 1/29/2015 9:09 AM (#750794 - in reply to #750793)

While I'm not against stocking the Crow river, I think there is better options out there. I think the Rum River would be one of those options as it drains from Mille Lacs and dumps into the Mississippi.

Just my 2 cents.
tolle141
Posted 1/29/2015 1:40 PM (#750858 - in reply to #750794)

Angler II - 1/29/2015 9:09 AM

While I'm not against stocking the Crow river, I think there is better options out there. I think the Rum River would be one of those options as it drains from Mille Lacs and dumps into the Mississippi.

Just my 2 cents.

Interesting point. From my experiences with the Rum it seems to be very similar to the crow, except it's dammed and occasionally lowered.

My thoughts on the crow would be that it might not be hit with such stiff opposition and it would present a unique angling experience in the metro. The rum could likely do the same.
MOJOcandy101
Posted 1/29/2015 3:46 PM (#750880 - in reply to #750792)

Though I no longer live in the area i think the crow would be a great system to introduce muskies too. There are plenty of bait fish for them to feed off of and like you said plenty of structure with some deep holes as well. Would it be such a bad thing if they did get into the mighty Mississippi?
mnmusky
Posted 1/29/2015 5:43 PM (#750901 - in reply to #750792)

not "bad" if they went into the Miss. but would they return? The Miss has musky in it already and have never heard of any in the crow.
muskyhunter47
Posted 1/29/2015 6:34 PM (#750907 - in reply to #750901)

I guy from work catches minnows in the sprig on the rum he has cought a few 6 inch muskies 2 years ago north of anoka above the dam.there in there don't know if there is a fishable Population could be worth trying
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)