Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "My frick'in IQ went up 60 points when I got rid of that guy"Justin Mullins in a conversation with me @ the Milwaukee show about a former employee
- (Added by: T-Bone)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Alternatives to Alumilite

Message Subject: Alternatives to Alumilite
Musky_Slayer
Posted 2/2/2015 8:04 PM (#751632)
Subject: Alternatives to Alumilite

I was wondering if anyone uses an alternative to alumilite,

I feel theres gotta be something on the market that is cheaper than $120 for a bottle

Thanks
rocko
Posted 2/2/2015 9:07 PM (#751643 - in reply to #751632)
Subject: RE: Alternatives to Alumilite

Slayer,
I have also used products from Smooth-on.

http://www.smooth-on.com

Get a trial size and see if they work for you. They have a distributor in Hartland
Tigerhunter
Posted 2/2/2015 9:25 PM (#751647 - in reply to #751632)
Subject: Re: Alternatives to Alumilite

I used fabricast 50 from specialty resins. From the small amount I have done over the years I didn't really see much of a difference in quality. The two differences I can think of off the top of my head are that the fabricast is significantly cheaper (at least it was when I bought it a year ago) and the fabricast is white after it sets up (alumilite is pinkish/tan). Those differences are enough for me to get more once I run out.
muskie tamer
Posted 2/2/2015 9:44 PM (#751656 - in reply to #751632)

What alumilite are you using, or looking at. Alumilite has a white resin.
Tigerhunter
Posted 2/3/2015 5:11 AM (#751678 - in reply to #751632)

Nice, I had gotten some from Hobby Lobby 2 years ago and it was tan, I just checked the Alumilite website and see they have tan, white, black and clear.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 2/3/2015 7:38 AM (#751689 - in reply to #751632)

There are pros and cons to everything...I have used both Alumilite and Smooth On products. Alumilite is slightly more money, but this is what I have found...First, the customer service and support from Alumilite cannot be beat...theres something to be said for a company that the actual owner/operator gets on the phone with you or calls you right back to offer help regarding his products. Second, I feel Alumilite does a lot of research to get their products just perfect and there seems to be far more consistency.... with some of the Smooth On stuff, I noticed the silicones and resins were sometime slightly different from batch to batch.

Coming from someone who produces a good many baits each year, this material is relatively inexpensive when its all said and done.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)