Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Fu%^in Sh#$ that hail hurts like a motherf@#$er!!! Andy after the hail turned from pea sized to dime size as we tried to get to shore under a tree.
- (Added by: esox109)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Practice Blanks

Message Subject: Practice Blanks
Beaver
Posted 12/21/2014 6:20 PM (#744999)
Subject: Practice Blanks

I went out to the garage for a while today and cut out blanks from the last of the reclaimed Redwood that I have. These last boards were too thick to use as is, but I didn't feel like firing up the table saw so I put a bigger blade on the band saw and trimmed 1/4" off of each blank. I didn't realize it at the time, but when I picked up the trimmings from the floor, I had twenty 1/4" thick lure bodies. Now I have something to test new color shades and patterns on. Taylor has shown an interest in painting lures and has some good ideas for some schemes she wants to try. Well now I have something for her to practice on that looks exactly like the blanks we will be painting. Anybody else do something like this? I have some pieces of Cedar that have cracks in them and I'm going to make them into 1/4" thick lure blanks to use for experimenting. Had I run the boards through the table saw I never would have gotten these 'practice blanks.'
Beaver
mnmusky
Posted 12/21/2014 7:04 PM (#745003 - in reply to #744999)
Subject: Re: Practice Blanks

sounds like a good idea. you could then display them in your shop or some other place. even decorate the x-mas tree with em!
Beaver
Posted 12/21/2014 10:03 PM (#745017 - in reply to #745003)

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I have some Krome that should be the base coat and then get a mist of Kandy sprayed over it so the chrome still shines through. Now I can experiment by spraying both sides with krome and then misting several colors of kandy over it and see which ones go well together. I'll be able to develop krome patterns and put those on a practice lure and take it outside to see how they look in the natural light instead of My daughter has a few color schemes that she wants to paint, so now she can use these and do a different color on each side of one of the practice lures and even make alterations until she gets it just how she wants it and then put it on a real blank. I have a 5 gallon bucket full of rejects and failures sitting in my painting room, I'm going to take those and cut them into 1/4" lures and never have to waste wood or sketch colors on paper again. Another good thing discovered by mistake.
sworrall
Posted 12/21/2014 10:18 PM (#745018 - in reply to #744999)

Beav,
You left a basket of wood here with lure designs sketched out on them. Been looking for those? See you soon....the ice beckons.
Beaver
Posted 12/21/2014 11:16 PM (#745022 - in reply to #745018)

I think that I left some Sterno camp stoves up there too when I had to make a hasty retreat home last year when the clots had me all swollen up. Taylor and I will have to journey northward and have some catch and eat Bluegills with you guys. It will have to be after Christmas, so we will be praying that the decent weather sticks around for a while. We need to catch some fish, it's been a while.
Beav
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)