Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The reason I work is to finance my fishing.
- (Added by: Jeff78)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Holy Crap! I Almost Lost it All!

Message Subject: Holy Crap! I Almost Lost it All!
Beaver
Posted 12/28/2014 9:37 AM (#745543)
Subject: Holy Crap! I Almost Lost it All!

Dogs got me up early and I couldn't fall back asleep, so I headed out to the garage. I had some things to finish and some things to start. I had a dozen blanks that were ready to begin the painting process, so I opened up the 5 gallon bucket of sealer and one by one I submerged them until the bubbles stopped, and then I took them out and hung them up to dry. Once they were done, I began to put the first coat of ETex on lures I painted two days ago. One by one I applied the mixture and hung them up. When I finished the last one, I went back to the first one to look for bubbles. I don't have a dehumidifier out in the paint room, but that really helps keep the bubbles down, so I grabbed the first one in line and started to forcefully exhale on any trouble spots. The CO2 that you exhale usually takes care of any bubbles, but some were being very stubborn so I grabbed my soldering torch. I tried to light it, but it was being a pain in my nice try too, then it finally lit but when it did, the flame came out about 18" and the next thing that I knew almost all of the sealer-dipped blanks were ablaze with a bright orange flame. I have 2 fire extinguishers in the paint room but what was dripping off of the lures was like a constant flow of fire that was catching in a collecting tray under the racks, so I grabbed the tray and headed for the door. I tossed the tray out onto the driveway and ran back inside to find a row of flaming lures that were trying to set the shelves on fire but a few quick shots from the extinguisher put out 75% of what was burning. The dripping flames from the lures kept reigniting the carpet and other stuff on the floor. So I gave the floor a quick blast and grabbed all of the flaming lures and put them in a metal bucket and took them outside too. Once back inside I could put out everything else that was aflame. We're talking about an area 2' square on the floor, and a part of the shelf and a dozen lures. They were reclaimed once before, and I'll reclaim them again because it was the sealer that was burning and not much else. But as I cleaned up I realized just how blessed I was because there was a five gallon bucket of that sealer just a foot away not to mention gallons of paint thinner and a hundred or so plastic bottles of paint. Had I not had a fire extinguisher and got that collection tray out of the room, my lure making days might just be over.
When I finally cleaned up and got back inside, I flopped on the couch to rest and opened my phone to the Bible verse of the day....."Fear thou not; for I am with thee; be not dismayed; for I am thy God and I will strengthen thee and I will help thee. Yea I will hold you upright with the right hand of My righteousness."
Thank You God that I can use the talent that You gave me to paint another day.
The rest of you guys.......Be Careful out there.
ToddM
Posted 12/28/2014 11:17 AM (#745550 - in reply to #745543)
Subject: Re: Holy Crap! I Almost Lost it All!

Beav, I am really glad this worked out. Maybe you can paint some flames on the lures for now on? Seriously glad nothing bad happened and your back held up for that tense fast thinking moment. I preach circumstances to my kids all he time. Circumstances can align in an instant to create a.very dangerous and unforeseen situation.
Trophyseeker50
Posted 12/28/2014 2:55 PM (#745570 - in reply to #745543)

Yikes. Was there once myself. Go figure an electrical fire in an electricians shop. Lol. Severed extension cord behind the tablesaw
bowhunter29
Posted 12/28/2014 5:18 PM (#745599 - in reply to #745543)

Wow, that's crazy! Glad to hear the Lord was watching over you.

I had a similar situation a few years ago with a roll of paper towels. Fortunately, my shop floor is bare concrete!

Jeremy
CU301DSV
Posted 12/28/2014 6:07 PM (#745609 - in reply to #745543)

Yikes! Glad you are OK and that there wasn't any worse circumstances. A couple of years ago or so my fishing partner lost his whole garage to a fire, all his woodworking/lure stuff, a ton of tools, a project car, rare auto parts and more.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)