Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Politics: from the Greek word "poly" meaning many and the word "tics" meaning blood sucking parasites.
- (Added by: rpieske)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Screw eyes in Hard Plastic?

Message Subject: Screw eyes in Hard Plastic?
esoxkid06
Posted 1/1/2015 5:04 PM (#746232)
Subject: Screw eyes in Hard Plastic?

Hey everyone,

I have recently started tinkering with lure building and making blanks, molds etc. for Musky fishing. The thing Im wondering is if screw eyes work for hard plastic baits? I haven't been able to find much info online regarding this, only wood baits. I'm thinking of finding a way to make the mold work so I have the eyes in it, when I pour the resin. on The other hand will the plastic crack if I attempt to screw in the eyes after the bait is made? this is all pretty new to me, and I'm sure there is going to be plenty of trial and error along the way.
Tigerhunter
Posted 1/1/2015 8:31 PM (#746250 - in reply to #746232)
Subject: Re: Screw eyes in Hard Plastic?

I have done this on a lure I was trying out. It was a lure I gave up on so take it for what it's worth. For my master I shaped the bait and used screw eyes for the line tie and the hook hangers. I then used rtv silicone and poured a mold. I would place screw eyes in the divots left from the masters screw eyes. It worked great for trial and error, much quicker than through-wire. I caught a pickerel and 5-6 lb bass without pulling the screw eye out but a musky could be a different story.

As far as putting the screw eyes in after, if you pre-drill and use epoxy like with wood, I think it would be similar....at least no cracking. The resin I have used seems like it may be too soft for this application but it's hard to tell.

Again, this was a lure that I gave up on so the testing of strength never really came into play.
RAZE1
Posted 1/3/2015 9:49 PM (#746477 - in reply to #746232)

The best idea I've seen to date was Bagley's B-flat hook hangers! They used brass eyelets molded into tiny lead bars. The bars had a re-bar like pattern on the outside that they epoxied through the appropriate sized drilled holes. It allowed them to weight the bait at the same time. I can tell you as far a strength goes, you could never pull them out of that balsa without ripping that bait to shreds. I think their design would work anywhere, as long as the weight was necessary. B-flats were intended to be a crank style bait until the lip broke-off on Lee Sisson one day. Just planting some seeds......

Edited by RAZE1 1/3/2015 9:50 PM
esoxkid06
Posted 1/5/2015 11:26 PM (#746818 - in reply to #746477)

RAZE1 - 1/3/2015 8:49 PM

The best idea I've seen to date was Bagley's B-flat hook hangers! They used brass eyelets molded into tiny lead bars. The bars had a re-bar like pattern on the outside that they epoxied through the appropriate sized drilled holes. It allowed them to weight the bait at the same time. I can tell you as far a strength goes, you could never pull them out of that balsa without ripping that bait to shreds. I think their design would work anywhere, as long as the weight was necessary. B-flats were intended to be a crank style bait until the lip broke-off on Lee Sisson one day. Just planting some seeds......

I never thought of that! I love B-flat's lol thanks for the info on that! interesting and well working idea it seems
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)