Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> What Makes a great Musky Partner

Message Subject: What Makes a great Musky Partner
BenR
Posted 12/10/2014 11:06 PM (#743669 - in reply to #742817)
Subject: Re: What Makes a great Musky Partner

Just friends, people I would spend time with anyways. Needing a "partner" to fish seems a bit formal...
sworrall
Posted 12/10/2014 11:21 PM (#743671 - in reply to #742817)

Enjoys the time on the water because that is where we are.

Is my friend, and knows/understands that I love the sport, but do not worship it.

The rest is just learning stuff, and I'm old enough most of the folks I fish with need no further schooling.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/10/2014 11:46 PM (#743673 - in reply to #742817)

When all is said and done, it's all about having a good time out there. There are "courtesies" that one should adhere to as mentioned above. But the more years that go by, the more I appreciate the hunt, the people I share it with, and the places in which it takes place.

This is what we do. We often forget that most people will never even see a place like the lakes we fish. I guess if I had to pick one quality in a fishing "partner" it would be someone who appreciates the experience in the same way that I do. I've said this before... Every year that goes by is less about the fish and more about the fishing.
Cody
Posted 12/13/2014 4:26 PM (#743981 - in reply to #742817)

Contender may have the right idea I would say one you look forward to fishing with and enjoy time on the water with too. My wife is my favorite partner, the two girls......well, I should maybe be quiet there. I know a good neighbor is one who don't call, come over or borrow stuff.
Sunshine
Posted 12/14/2014 8:01 AM (#744009 - in reply to #742817)

A great netter ??
Trophyseeker50
Posted 12/14/2014 8:44 AM (#744012 - in reply to #742817)
Subject: RE: What Makes a great Musky Partner

I fish with a number of good fisherman each year. They have a good combination of fishin skills and knowledge as well as a personality that keeps it fun and lite all day. After a long day on the water with nothing in the net you can still say you had a great day. Also staying positive is a must. Knowing that the next cast could be the one.

Couple things that drive me nuts...

If you spend all day changing baits you will reduce you success rate exponentially
Choose a half dozen baits for the day and use them to there fullest

Please treat my boat and equipment like it is the investment that it is.
Don't smoke or chew, or spill stuff on my carpet

Don't be set on only one presentation or area
Be adaptable and versatile.

That being said if you know me I'm out to have fun and move fish. Let's make the best I the time we have out there

Edited by Trophyseeker50 12/14/2014 8:48 AM
Tackle Industries
Posted 12/14/2014 3:22 PM (#744056 - in reply to #742817)

They bring hot cheese and jerky.
stephendawg
Posted 12/14/2014 3:56 PM (#744058 - in reply to #742817)

Mutual enjoyment of the outdoors experience is first. That's why my family is at the top of my list. My wife and daughter read and relax. I love looking in the back of the boat seeing them chillin' with not a care in the world. My son and I have fished a lot of hours together through the years and have made multitudes of awesome memories but we have very different fishing styles. Doesn't matter. He's there for me, I'm there for him. My main musky partner is one of my very best friends and we have a way of bringing each other up a notch because of all the reasons everyone else has mentioned. Can't recall a day when we ever tired of each other's company and never a hint of resentment or impatience regardless of the day we're having. Great post as I reflect on God's blessings this Christmas season.
muskie! nut
Posted 12/14/2014 5:30 PM (#744062 - in reply to #742817)

I feel that a great partner would be one that has limited vision do if you raised a monster he would not know that you did - unless you told him/her.
rodbender
Posted 12/14/2014 6:54 PM (#744069 - in reply to #744062)

farts down wind keeping me out of harms way.
Top H2O
Posted 12/14/2014 9:26 PM (#744099 - in reply to #744062)

If any of you guys Raised a Fish (no matter the size) would you be "Ticked Off" if your Partner threw back at it???.... And then boated it ??
I personally would be pumped for that experience..... A Fish in the Boat is better than NO Fish in the Boat...... Good for my partner and Me ! Especially during a Tournament.

Edited by Top H2O 12/14/2014 9:31 PM
Posted 12/14/2014 11:10 PM (#744112 - in reply to #744099)

Top H2O - 12/14/2014 9:26 PM

If any of you guys Raised a Fish (no matter the size) would you be "Ticked Off" if your Partner threw back at it???.... And then boated it ??
I personally would be pumped for that experience..... A Fish in the Boat is better than NO Fish in the Boat...... Good for my partner and Me ! Especially during a Tournament.
No,hell we would cross cast after a follow to get a bite.0723
esoxaddict
Posted 12/15/2014 4:20 AM (#744115 - in reply to #744099)

Top H2O - 12/14/2014 9:26 PM

If I looked at him, and said "take it", I would not be upset. If I had my chances at it and didn't catch the fish, I wouldn't be upset. In a tournament? Somebody catch the fish. Who cares who it is?

It's a team sport.

But if I'm l'm setting up to throw back at it and said partner cuts me off, casts at it before I have a chance and catches it? Dick move. There are some guys I fish with where that stuff is expected. We all do that stuff to each other for laughs, and at the end of the day, nobody cares.

For the most part, though, the guy who rasies the fish should have every opportunity to catch it. After that all bets are off.

Junkman
Posted 12/15/2014 9:30 AM (#744131 - in reply to #742817)

It's always a team sport! If my boat has a fish; I have a fish! Now, OK, I know what you're thinking....you're thinking the Junkman needs others in the boat to catch a fish more than most. And, I'm not saying that's not true, but if show me the guy who thinks it's all about him and "his fish," I'd just as soon see him fishing by himself so that he can have all the credit. It's not always a tournament, but it's always a team sport.
14ledo81
Posted 12/15/2014 10:17 AM (#744138 - in reply to #742817)

Most times I would rather the other guy in my boat catch the fish. I typically fish with my 12 year old son or guys with little muskie experience. I boat substantially more fish than them anyway, so I would rather they have the opportunity. Especially my son. I want him to stay interested in the sport, and he is nearing the age where he will soon not want to hang out with "dad".
jerryb
Posted 12/15/2014 1:31 PM (#744163 - in reply to #744138)

I can certainly relate to having seen 4 boys go from just old enough to hold a rod (21/2) to them out growing fishing altogether, but the story doesn't end there. All I can say is hang in there because they eventually come back around and it's quicker at least this case than you might think. Today though our time is more limited they're all back asking when we can go out next. It seems weird to say this but I think it's even better now and I'm really looking forward to the day when they have kids of there own and see them out together. Best of luck!
BNelson
Posted 12/15/2014 3:19 PM (#744178 - in reply to #742817)

I'll throw a few in, I'm sure some have been said but for me, the best partners that bring success to the boat:
* are always positive... PMA to me is huge. even when conditions or fishing sux, to always have the mentality it WILL happen it's just a matter of when.
* can throw any bait, anywhere, and work it right, to trigger strikes...
* think with an open mind, don't say things like "they are not eating bucktails right now" cuz that can change on the next cast.
* complement each other, not by saying "dude you look good in those jeans", but by mixing it up ...ie, i'm throwing topwater, they go with a plastic deep... mix it up to help FIND the pattern.
* have the stamina to go the distance, not yawning every 5 minutes cuz they didn't get enuf sleep, that just gets me down.
* have fun on the water, some of the funniest times I have had in the boat are with Scottie Thomas and we always do very well when we share the boat....
* don't F up the net job!
* bring beer, like Hair Nation, and know how to back up the boat trailer. LOL

Edited by BNelson 12/15/2014 3:21 PM
Scottie Thomas
Posted 12/15/2014 6:11 PM (#744201 - in reply to #744178)

Yeah, a whole bunch of good ones have been said, and I havent read em all, but I think this is a great subject now that we are all locked up until May.

....be able to capitalize on a window
... (i used to be very guilty of this).... but know when to chat and joke around, then know when to focus
....be willing to work as a team and be open minded
...be willing to fish during so called off hours, dont just say, oh we are going in at 11 pm. If fish are going in the middle of the night or in the middle of the afternoon, be willing to do it.
....know what youre doing, or learn really quick!
....if you have a suggestion/idea, etc dont be bashful and SHARE IT!
....be unselfish. I HATE when people get pouty when someone else catches a fish, positive mojo can help put fish in the boat no doubt.

Nelly, cannot wait till May, Im just coming for the deli that you carry around in the back of that boat!!

Edited by Scottie Thomas 12/15/2014 6:13 PM
Rotorhead
Posted 12/20/2014 9:30 PM (#744902 - in reply to #742817)

Knows how to take a good photo - position, light angle, etc. Not afraid to tell the holder of the fish to adjust holding position and quickly takes multiple photos (many smart phones will take 5 photos in about 2 seconds if you just hold the button) for just the right one. Plans the shot and gives instruction to the holder before they take the fish out of the net so it's all done quickly. Also remembers to take other fishing action shots to remember the day even if you don't catch fish.
Muskiefool
Posted 12/21/2014 11:16 AM (#744943 - in reply to #742817)

I would have to say Sex.  ;-
jakejusa
Posted 12/23/2014 2:27 PM (#745194 - in reply to #742817)

One of the attributes I like the best when sharing the boat with someone is when they are openly willing to discuss spots, methods, baits, all in an effort to put the pieces of the puzzle together. Some very strange but productive presentations have come out of those types of discussions.
I also get a kick when guys are willing to just start singing--even when they can't! (No names are mentioned to protect the innocent)
Mudpuppy
Posted 12/24/2014 10:27 AM (#745275 - in reply to #745194)

Great stuff musky hunter friends, add up all the good points and you have one great partner. They are hard to find especially for older persons. How about teaming up with a younger person, not a bad idea. Heck the older guys have all the toys and in case of problems a younger guy is sure handy to have around.

Mudpuppy
satch
Posted 1/26/2015 2:43 PM (#750417 - in reply to #742873)

Long TIme Lurker - 12/5/2014 6:26 PM

I must be weird, I always prefer to have both guys running figure 8s if we got a fish boat side that is repeatedly showing up, I never looked at it as my fish or his fish. I looked at the boat like a team and we are here to put as many in the boat as possible. We catch a fish.

Shrug,

as long as your partner 8s at his end of the boat, couldn't agree with you more.....Also, I have a pard that I love fishing with and is a good friend but INCREDIBLY bossy. I want your input and suggestions, but not in such a douchie manner. Wouldn t kill you to follow one my suggestions once in a while either. Right, Louie?
Simple Man
Posted 1/26/2015 2:53 PM (#750421 - in reply to #743524)

ShutUpNFish - 12/10/2014 7:48 AM Likes to drink Yuenglings!!

Wow....good one!  That's a great beer...especially for guys like me that cant get it locally!

esoxaddict
Posted 1/26/2015 5:57 PM (#750451 - in reply to #742817)

Here's one I forgot.

When you forget your net, and borrow one from a buddy, check to make sure it doesn't have a GD HOLE in it!

It's funny now, but it wasn't so funny then.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)