Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Frabil Net bags

Message Subject: Frabil Net bags
btfish
Posted 12/18/2014 4:41 AM (#744608)
Subject: Frabil Net bags

Hi Guys

No doubt the Frabil nets are great products, it is time to upgrade as my current Beckman is almost done so I am going with a Frabil. The question is which one so I have 2 questions I need some feedback on. It seems the term Power Catch is used kind of geneically and there are actually 3 models I am interested in that have the power catch.

1. The 8425 & 8430 appear to have the same frame but a different net bag. The 8425 has a 1 3/4 in mesh and the replacement bag is about $100. The 8430 has a 2 in mesh and the replacement bag is about $50.

There is also a cost difference with between the two nets and the 8425 is obviously higher (although this is not a show stopper if it is the correct net).

The 8430 is the net that seems to be in most of the stores I have looked at?

So my first question is which net do most of you use/prefer, how do you like it, and why?

2. My second question is Frabil offers the 8430 in a version with a 72 inch handle for a small aditional cost. I like a longer net handle and actually have an extension on my current Beckman. I just don't know how long it is as it is stored in the boat right now but I can find out. So my second question is anyone using the 8440 model which has what I think is a lighter bag and a longer handle.

I know there are lots of threads on this and I have read them but none of them are as specific as I what I am looking for.

Have a good day guys and thanks in advance.
ShutUpNFish
Posted 12/18/2014 7:05 AM (#744615 - in reply to #744608)
Subject: Re: Frabil Net bags

I personally do not like these huge hooped nets myself...They are not only big and bulky to stow, but also big and bulky to handle when the time comes to net a monster. This is my personal preference and you will get 100 different opinions on this matter, so like many other aspects of muskie fishing; its what is most comfy for you.

I personally use a Frabil Power Catch mid size which I use for muskie and salmon whenever I salmon fish as well. I believe the hoop is 24"X36" with a deep net - If you don't think that net would do the job....mine has landed 80 lb Sturgeon, 55" muskie and a 45lb muskie without any problems....The nicest thing is that it stows, conveniently, up against the inside wall of my boat perfectly, out of the way, but within reach at all times. Remember, mine is just 1 perspective...

Good Luck in your search.
scotty348
Posted 12/18/2014 10:48 AM (#744641 - in reply to #744608)
Subject: RE: Frabil Net bags

I had an older power catch bag on my net that kept getting fish tangled if they rolled in the net, so I just tried ordering the #4666 Frabill Big Game Bag 32x41, but it sounds like they haven't been shipping those bags out in the last few months. I wouldn't buy another power catch net bag because the bag gets tangled too easy and I was constantly fixing holes. Instead, I went with a slightly smaller Drifter XL bag at 37x35, which looks like a heavier bag but slightly smaller hoop size. Both were pretty similar price around $60-$70.
ToddM
Posted 12/18/2014 11:24 AM (#744644 - in reply to #744608)

I do not know the model numbers but the frabill big game bag with the thick rubber coated mesh is the best one. It is not as flexible as the thin coated mesh bags. Fish tend not to roll and get caught up in it as bad. Makes for easier hook removal and faster releases.
Will Schultz
Posted 12/18/2014 11:48 AM (#744649 - in reply to #744608)

8425 is perfect, not too big like the Big Kahuna to handle with one hand. The net is nice and keeps fish from getting too wound up.
danmuskyman
Posted 12/18/2014 8:11 PM (#744704 - in reply to #744608)

Have you checked out the new drifter nets? I got a chance to use one up in canada, and really liked it. They are very similar to the frabil models you describe but I thought they were slightly lighter so most likely easier to handle alone. Also I know they come in different colors so you can maybe find one to match your boat. Also I see they are introducing a new predator series net witch look a lot like the old Beckman nets so if you were happy with your Beckman you may want to check those out.
curleytail
Posted 12/19/2014 12:32 PM (#744789 - in reply to #744608)

I'm pretty sure mine is the 8425. I have the Big Game Powercatch, one size down from the Big Kahuna. It handles muskies well, and doesn't take up the whole boat. It has the heavily coated rubber mesh, and is very tangle free.

The price on the frabill website seems very, very high, though I bought mine probably 8 years ago. Pretty sure that's the one with 1 3/4" mesh. I think the 2" is the thinner stuff. Never used the thin mesh, but from what I've seen on TV, thin mesh tends to make bird nests pretty fast with rolling muskies.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)