Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Calcutta D Drag

Message Subject: Calcutta D Drag
George W
Posted 12/19/2014 9:57 PM (#744834)
Subject: Calcutta D Drag

Anyone else find that their drag on the Calcutta D is too weak... or did I just get a lemon? I like everything about the reel, but wasn't pleased with the 15 Lb drag from the get go. I like to have little to no drag slip on the hookset and it doesn't seem this reel can provide that. I upgraded the drag washers to the Carbontex drag washers which was a marked improvement from the factory Shimano washers. However, after a season of use, the carbontex drag seem to be slipping. As soon as you exceed the static friction coefficient, the drag just slips. Not sure why Shimano didn't design this with a heavier drag like the rest of the reels in the Calcutta line.

I assume the carbontex drag is worn out and I will probably replace the washers. Are there any other ways I can improve the drag strength? This reel has already cost me a couple of fish this past season.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, other than the suggestion to thumb the spool on the hookset.

kap
Posted 12/19/2014 10:13 PM (#744836 - in reply to #744834)
Subject: RE: Calcutta D Drag

similar concerns, upgraded as well, pike master says he has a fix with a different washer. i am going to send mine back to him, hope it works, nice reel other wise
not a sells man for pikemaster. i set my drag on the looser side and any slippage can hurt
Propster
Posted 12/20/2014 12:14 AM (#744844 - in reply to #744834)
Subject: Re: Calcutta D Drag

Yep, wish they made the stack bigger (more washers). PM does have a flat key washer he can add (vs the cupped stock one) that can add some drag
PIKEMASTER
Posted 12/20/2014 8:03 AM (#744850 - in reply to #744834)

YES I can upgrade your drag system on any D reel, maybe add 30-40% more drag and if the drag is used it will pull with no jerks. If more drag is needed then you need to buy a TRANX
Bring any Baitcaster Reel to the Chicago Musky Show and drop them off for Detailing / Pimping, I will have a booth there .
George W
Posted 12/20/2014 6:01 PM (#744882 - in reply to #744850)

Thanks for the replies... I'll be contacting you Pikemaster.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)