Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Modern Day Muskellunge World Record Program -> MuskieFIRST to be the Home of the Modern Day Muskellunge Record Keeping Program

Message Subject: MuskieFIRST to be the Home of the Modern Day Muskellunge Record Keeping Program
sworrall
Posted 5/6/2012 11:35 PM (#558279)
Subject: MuskieFIRST to be the Home of the Modern Day Muskellunge Record Keeping Program

Recently, a panel of well known Muskie anglers, historians, activists, and professionals approached OutdoosFIRST Media, and more specifically, MuskieFIRST.com with a request:

'The MDMWRKP needs an official home. There is no doubt that there has been more interest,  and more threads and written words about muskellunge records on MuskieFirst than most of the other muskie sites, publications, or other media sources put together. So, it follows that it would be a 'natural fit' for MuskieFirst, should you be interested.'

MuskieFIRST expressed interest in hosting the organization, and Steve Worrall and Zach Boudreau, Co-Owners of OutdoorsFIRST Media, agreed to provide a Forum, Editorial support, and Public Relations functions through http://muskiefirst.com. All MDMWRKP members unanimously endorsed the concept.

Stand by for more information!

Top H2O
Posted 5/7/2012 12:08 AM (#558287 - in reply to #558279)
Subject: RE: MuskieFIRST to be the Home of the Modern Day Muskellunge Record Keeping Program

Good for you steve,,.... Looks like more work for sure,... Hope you find time to get out fishing once in a while.

Jerome
sworrall
Posted 5/7/2012 12:13 PM (#558343 - in reply to #558287)
Subject: RE: MuskieFIRST to be the Home of the Modern Day Muskellunge Record Keeping Program

Press Release

Informational Website

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(MDMWRP-medium.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MDMWRP-medium.png (100KB - 1168 downloads)
Ranger
Posted 5/8/2012 11:02 PM (#558651 - in reply to #558279)
Subject: Re: MuskieFIRST to be the Home of the Modern Day Muskellunge Record Keeping Program

Wow, congrads!
eboost
Posted 7/11/2012 5:51 PM (#570639 - in reply to #558279)
Subject: Re: MuskieFIRST to be the Home of the Modern Day Muskellunge Record Keeping Program

Nice!
scot
Posted 8/27/2012 5:13 PM (#581172 - in reply to #570639)

Sweet!
sworrall
Posted 10/10/2012 10:28 AM (#590023 - in reply to #558279)

Fall is here, if it's going to happen in 2012....
muskyhunter47
Posted 10/17/2012 4:29 PM (#591578 - in reply to #558279)

larry ramsel was talking abought this last weekend sounds cool.are you going to look at the Mi. new state record
Larry Ramsell
Posted 10/22/2012 2:07 PM (#592477 - in reply to #558279)

Shows just how rare a "true" 60 pounder is...year six of our new program and still no 60!
Bytor
Posted 10/24/2012 3:55 PM (#593199 - in reply to #592477)

Why don't you amend your rules and make this your record? The fish is legit and then your organization would actually have a record fish.

I find it odd that a record keeping organization doesn't have record. How can you be a relavant organization without a record?
sworrall
Posted 10/25/2012 11:12 AM (#593437 - in reply to #558279)

Because one that meets the 60 pound minimum size hasn't been caught yet and the entire organization ( some pretty knowledgeable folks) agreed the 'mark' for a new World Record should be 60#.

There have been several fish in the 50# bracket recorded over the years, some fairly close to the 60# mark decided upon by the committee. The reasoning behind the decisions made and a listing of the folks involved can be found here:

http://modernmuskierecords.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=ar...

We'll see, perhaps they will do just that.

river runt
Posted 10/26/2012 11:04 PM (#593837 - in reply to #558279)

Just like politics another spin for an organization to be created to challenge another, full of propaganda, vested interest, notartity and celberities who claim to know all their is to know about the sport!
Why dont we all just slow down and enjoy fishing for what it is and not get so caught up in disputes, challenges and tactics aimed at ousting others.
The release quoted...
" This program was created to facilitate the recording and verification of a modern day muskellunge world record, the brass ring of our sport., not only for this generation, but for future generations as well, filling the current record void with a legitimate modern day record muskie fisherman can all rally around, without sacrificing our catch and release core belief due to a minimum acceptance weight of 60 pounds."

My record fish is not measured by size rather the experience I had when my 2 sons worked together to net their first musky, its crap like this which makes this a industry and loses the sport and reason God created fish."

"Brass ring of the sport" a statment like that is like bringing in Mike Tyson to mediate a dispute between two newlyweds. Have we all lost our senses! Brass ring of our sport??? "Legitimate" "core beliefs" measured by who and what motivation?? My belief is not motivated by size and catch and release...
Everytime we fish is the thinking we are intent to break the "supposed", "preoporter" record. Humility and vanity are not synominis. Toot, toot....your own horns! Musky is a fish created by God and human intervention has led to gynetical cross breeding, stocked, protected like a state symbol and tainted by humans.
Those who are pounding their chest in protests to past reocrds, take a look at where we are compared to 50 years ago, are you really that proud with the technology, equipment, stocking programs and attitude todays fisherman possess. Lets use our $45,000.00 boat equipped with auto pilot, motor trolling, sonar with side imaging, 9 foot poles spooled with 100 pound test line and 100 pound leaders, the line you dont have to dry at night and oars you dont row! Really! Think for a second about what it was like to catch a 40 pound muksy 50 years ago and then tell me about records.
If you still are not convinced take some time and read some Aldo Leopold... You can not compare todays records with the past, just like baseball this sports records are tainted and its time to get back to the love of the game and not records!
I hope all of you take some time to reflect on what makes musky fishing a sport, yes there are legends, legendary disputes and forklore, heck, thats what makes it intriquing, ousting ghosts of the past, our forefathers seems odd to me!

Funny how much time we spend challenging
Musky fishing, like life, ought not be meausured by the size of what we catch, rather the moment and memories of chasing

Edited by river runt 10/26/2012 11:15 PM
horsehunter
Posted 10/27/2012 6:42 AM (#593851 - in reply to #558279)

AMEN
sworrall
Posted 10/27/2012 11:19 AM (#593881 - in reply to #593837)

river runt - 10/26/2012 11:04 PM

Just like politics another spin for an organization to be created to challenge another, full of propaganda, vested interest, notartity and celberities who claim to know all their is to know about the sport!
Why dont we all just slow down and enjoy fishing for what it is and not get so caught up in disputes, challenges and tactics aimed at ousting others.
The release quoted...
" This program was created to facilitate the recording and verification of a modern day muskellunge world record, the brass ring of our sport., not only for this generation, but for future generations as well, filling the current record void with a legitimate modern day record muskie fisherman can all rally around, without sacrificing our catch and release core belief due to a minimum acceptance weight of 60 pounds."

My record fish is not measured by size rather the experience I had when my 2 sons worked together to net their first musky, its crap like this which makes this a industry and loses the sport and reason God created fish."

"Brass ring of the sport" a statment like that is like bringing in Mike Tyson to mediate a dispute between two newlyweds. Have we all lost our senses! Brass ring of our sport??? "Legitimate" "core beliefs" measured by who and what motivation?? My belief is not motivated by size and catch and release...
Everytime we fish is the thinking we are intent to break the "supposed", "preoporter" record. Humility and vanity are not synominis. Toot, toot....your own horns! Musky is a fish created by God and human intervention has led to gynetical cross breeding, stocked, protected like a state symbol and tainted by humans.
Those who are pounding their chest in protests to past reocrds, take a look at where we are compared to 50 years ago, are you really that proud with the technology, equipment, stocking programs and attitude todays fisherman possess. Lets use our $45,000.00 boat equipped with auto pilot, motor trolling, sonar with side imaging, 9 foot poles spooled with 100 pound test line and 100 pound leaders, the line you dont have to dry at night and oars you dont row! Really! Think for a second about what it was like to catch a 40 pound muksy 50 years ago and then tell me about records.
If you still are not convinced take some time and read some Aldo Leopold... You can not compare todays records with the past, just like baseball this sports records are tainted and its time to get back to the love of the game and not records!
I hope all of you take some time to reflect on what makes musky fishing a sport, yes there are legends, legendary disputes and forklore, heck, thats what makes it intriquing, ousting ghosts of the past, our forefathers seems odd to me!

Funny how much time we spend challenging
Musky fishing, like life, ought not be meausured by the size of what we catch, rather the moment and memories of chasing

With all due respect:
Keeping of records, especially World Records, in all sports has been a standard practice since man developed the printing press. In the case of this organization, our interest is not to displace any of the 'traditional' records, but to keep a record of modern day Muskellunge weighed at sixty pound or more as described within the rules of entry. In fact, several of the most prominent Members have stated publicly that they feel the historical records should stand upon their own merit. Some of the Members do believe the historical records leave something to be desired in the accuracy department, and that debate continues amongst those who find the subject interesting or even compelling.

To date, 6 years past formation, no new records have been entered.

I do not believe any of the members of the MDMWRKP profess to know 'all there is to know about the sport'. Much to the contrary.

We are proud and honored to have input from Internationally recognized muskie Historians, the top scientific minds in Muskellunge management, and some of the most well known and dedicated conservationists in the Sport. On the roster are also some of the most accomplished muskie anglers in our lifetimes and in all of Muskie angling history no matter what category of Muskie angling one is addressing. Many are known to do far less 'horn tooting' than you have in your entry here despite incredible success as anglers.

I have fished for Muskies and was surrounded by those still casting and some who have passed who were well known in the sport almost the entirety of my life, and that for very close to the time frame you ask we examine of 50 years.

I also have two sons and a grandson who fish muskies, and have not seen any effect on our families enjoyment of Muskie fishing what so ever from the formation of the MDMWRKP, present or past record keeping, and can't imagine how there would or should be.

Technology is what it is, and advancements in one category are not exclusionary to all others. The management of Muskellunge has advanced at the same pace as the segments of the pursuit you spoke to, as science is better capable of allowing more focused and successful management of trophy and non-trophy waters across the range, to the great benefit of the average angler's enjoyment of the sport. This is truly the 'golden age' of Muskie angling, and that is not even open to question. never before have so many truly large specimens been caught, and never before has there been the opportunities there are today to catch a truly large Muskie...or catch a muskie of ANY size, for that matter.

I would not challenge your last statement as a 'purist', but certainly would as an average guy out enjoying the sport. I personally still get a big kick out of the day on the water, and any day we put a Muskie in the net is a better day than one we did not. A day where a truly big muskie hits the net is even better, and should a 60 pound plus giant ever visit our boat, it will be my personal choice to measure her up and let her go, and if you think for a minute I won't 'toot my horn' about the experience, you are mistaken...I will, and will be delighted to do so, pictures and video attached.

That said, if a true 60 pound fish ever IS harvested, I would be proud to take part in recognizing that catch as the standing Modern Day World Record.

fins355
Posted 10/31/2012 8:24 AM (#594856 - in reply to #593881)

Very well put Steve. I agree. I'm not sure I agree with the 60lb. requirement but that's another story.

DougP
sworrall
Posted 11/1/2012 9:18 PM (#595406 - in reply to #558279)

Stand by...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)