Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beasts

Message Subject: Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beasts
BrianS
Posted 5/23/2023 10:04 PM (#1021002)
Subject: Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beasts

Does anyone know what the difference between the old revo toro beasts (blue/black T2) vs. the new toro beasts (grey/black T3)? The T2 models run for $400 while the T3 models run $330. (The same question applies to the Revo Toro Rocket models too) I bought the T3 toro beast, but I know many people who prefer the older models. Nobody I asked knows the difference, if anyone here knows please let me know. Thank you in advance!
Cedar
Posted 5/24/2023 9:23 AM (#1021014 - in reply to #1021002)
Subject: RE: Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beasts

A little background on the T2's. The T2 RT Beast had more bearings, a better drag, and a 2 pc spool shaft (if I remember correctly), compared to the Revo Toro S's made at the same time. The RT S models had a 1 pc spool shaft that ended up being stronger and more durable compared to the Beast models. The current T3 RT Beasts have less bearings than the T2's, the same or very similar drag as the T2's, the now discontinued model RT S frame, and the 1 pc spool shaft assembly from the S models. Mat Hegy from Mat's Reel Repair explained that to me some time ago. There may be, and probably are other differences (besides color also) between the 2 generations, but these seem to be the main ones. Basically Abu Garcia combined the best, or more successful parts from both the T2 RT Beast, and the same gen RT S models to come up with the T3 RT Beasts. That was my take on it. AG also wanted/needed to be more competitive price wise with the T3's in order to better compete with the other popular models (Tranx, Lexa's, Komodo's, etc). I've had several T2's, S's, and now T3's. My favorites are the stock T3's, and S's (with 3 ABEC 5 bearings on the spool shaft - T2 Beasts had 3 spool shaft bearings, and the S models only had 2 + a bushing). I've had T3 Beasts since they were released, and have sold all of my T2's, but would've really liked AG to keep the 50 size. I've been thinking about picking up a T3 RT Rocket this year (I like the red), and swapping out the stock gears for a Beast 4.9 set. When the T3's came out, people said that they weren't as good because they were less money, and had less bearings... in my opinion, they were wrong.
RyanJoz
Posted 5/24/2023 2:55 PM (#1021030 - in reply to #1021014)
Subject: Re: Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beasts

Cedar nailed it. They swapped the spools, removed bearings from the levelwinds that were problematic, and removed bearings from the cranks in favor of bushings. Bushings do wear out, but last longer in wet environments where they aren’t maintained. The T3’s are much more durable. The Tranx is more comfortable in my hands (middle finger hits the bump out on the frame/side plate. Beast is a good second or third choice for me.
Ronix
Posted 5/25/2023 8:06 AM (#1021047 - in reply to #1021030)
Subject: Re: Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beasts

I really like the T3 beasts - in addition to all mentioned above, the T3s no longer come with 3 handle options hence another reason why the cost is different. The counter balanced power handle that came with the T2s was the best handle IMO would have preferred that came stock on the T3 high speed models as opposed to the double paddle handle.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)