Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Globes

Message Subject: Globes
Ogandrews
Posted 5/6/2023 6:37 PM (#1020543)
Subject: Globes

I picked up a musky madness globester this winter, tried it today and love the metallic sound you get at low speeds. I really don’t like the hook placement though, when the baits moving the front hook is almost in the back of the bait. I’ve had a lot of fish headshot topwaters and can see this thing not having a great hookup. Do you guys have any recommendations on other globes, ideally bigger than the globester? Doesn’t look like there’s much out there that is commonly sold. Don’t mind spending some money if it’s a solid bait
muskymartin67
Posted 5/6/2023 8:47 PM (#1020545 - in reply to #1020543)
Subject: Re: Globes

No globe has the hook up ratio of a bucktail, but they are great baits, and have their time and place, one of my favorites is the older Frenchy La May Le Lures either the early handmade or early to mid 90s factory baits, not the late 90s Chinese made ones. Only sure way to tell is the "Le Lure" logo is stamped with either black or yellow paint, if it's a metal tag or no logo I would pass - you can pick them up on E bay from time to time for around $40-$80 depends on color and condition.
jdsplasher
Posted 5/6/2023 9:19 PM (#1020546 - in reply to #1020543)
Subject: RE: Globes

Ogandrews - 5/6/2023 6:37 PM I picked up a musky madness globester this winter, tried it today and love the metallic sound you get at low speeds. I really don’t like the hook placement though, when the baits moving the front hook is almost in the back of the bait. I’ve had a lot of fish headshot topwaters and can see this thing not having a great hookup. Do you guys have any recommendations on other globes, ideally bigger than the globester? Doesn’t look like there’s much out there that is commonly sold. Don’t mind spending some money if it’s a solid bait

Take a pic of bottom of lure. We Might be able to help make suggestions easier on hook mods.

JD

chuckski
Posted 5/7/2023 10:30 AM (#1020555 - in reply to #1020543)

Globes come in many makes and remakes and different sizes too. I fish with one of each size of the org. Pflueger's 2 sizes.
These have the best sound of all of them, However they have the old style hook hangers like the Cisco Kid lures. What i have done on those is take out the screws add a solid ring then a reg split ring to give the hook some movement. I do have a Musky Madness Globster too and I like the sound too. I went to take a look at the design and I can't find it. (it's the one I use here in Colorado and it's shore fishing) Lost in all my gear. It is the small size. And from there I have a Slammer Globe with is bigger and then another one and it's bigger and I can't remember the make but it has little prop on the tail end, and the largest I have is a T. I. and it also has the prop on the tail. I like to fish his group of lures because they don't get used as much as the tail spinners. As far as hooking goes remember there a surfacebait.
Ogandrews
Posted 5/8/2023 5:49 AM (#1020566 - in reply to #1020543)

Looking at the globester again it would be pretty easy to move that hook hanger forward. The front hook is just a swivel hung on the through wire. I should be able to cut the through wire, drill a new hole for the swivel further forward, fill in the old one and then just rewire it. The lakes I fish get absolutely pounded with tailbaits august/September so this should give a different look that I can still cover some water with.
jdsplasher
Posted 5/8/2023 6:02 AM (#1020567 - in reply to #1020566)

Exactly……OR, you can take a piece of shrink tubing. Place over treble. Attach with your split ring.

Push tubing up into body hole best you can, then heat tubing. Treble will sit straight down or slightly down.

It will not swing as far back as before…..and will help with hookups also exposing more hooks than if it was against the body. I do that quite a bit with my custom Headbangers!

JD

muskymartin67
Posted 5/8/2023 6:49 AM (#1020568 - in reply to #1020543)

Keep in mind If the hook is too far forward it can catch the propeller and result in a fouled cast another option is hook spreader which adds an extra hook and moves them off to the sides
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)