Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Topwater Hooks

Message Subject: Topwater Hooks
Trimpej
Posted 4/15/2023 6:53 PM (#1019926)
Subject: Topwater Hooks

Replacing a cut back hook on a Dr. Evil, and wanted to get opinions on if others usually upsize or make any changes to topwater hooks? Anything you feel increases hooking percentage or makes the bait run better? Also if changing hook size, what would you recommend?
Reef Hawg
Posted 4/20/2023 12:14 PM (#1020060 - in reply to #1019926)
Subject: RE: Topwater Hooks

I maintain either a 5/0 3551 or Eagle Claw 774 up front, swapping for forementioned variety 3/0 or 4/0 for back. The takeaway is that based on how the individual lure reacts to hook change, you may have to choose the 3/0 over 4/0 or vice versa based on how you want it to run/how tail is bent.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 4/20/2023 12:40 PM (#1020063 - in reply to #1019926)
Subject: Re: Topwater Hooks

The hook sizing on those lures is spot-on imho. With other brands of topwaters I typically try and upsize the hooks, but the Lake X hooks are perfect.

I do have a couple of Fat B's with the belly hook removed, and one size bigger tail hook. These work well when there is a lot of floating weeds, removing the belly hook keeps most of the weeds off of the rotating tail.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)