Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Which subspecies of muskellunge grows to the largest size?

Message Subject: Which subspecies of muskellunge grows to the largest size?
gimruis
Posted 3/31/2023 9:22 AM (#1019373 - in reply to #1019347)
Subject: Re: Which subspecies of muskellunge grows to the largest size?

esoxaddict - 3/30/2023 3:25 PM

North of 8 - 3/30/2023 11:43 AM

Really interesting read. If I understand right, for the most part size is determined by forage base, competition, environment, more than strain? Makes sense to me but I don't know much about fish biology.
There was a mention of a cisco base be diminished. Are the cisco losing out because of environmental change?

Yes, they don't fare well in temperatures over 73 F. Another factor seems to be shoreline development, which we all know it detrimental to pretty much everything.

Mille Lacs Lake has experienced multiple years of cisco/tulibee die off when we get a very warm summer. I've seen them dead on the surface by the dozens sometimes. At first I thought they were walleyes but upon further inspection, they were definitely ciscos. Mille Lacs, not being very deep, is very prone to warming. That is partially why smallmouth have thrived there the past 15 years now.

For now, they are OK, but I could see a day in the relative near future when there is not a natural, self-sustaining population of them anymore in that lake.

Edited by gimruis 3/31/2023 9:23 AM
TCESOX
Posted 3/31/2023 4:46 PM (#1019401 - in reply to #1019244)

I spoke with a fisheries person, who said that the ciscos in Mille Lacs, are almost certainly going to go away. The lake is only about 30 feet deep, and there is no where to find sanctuary as the lake gets warmer.
jchiggins
Posted 3/31/2023 9:09 PM (#1019406 - in reply to #1019401)

TCESOX - 3/31/2023 4:46 PM

I spoke with a fisheries person, who said that the ciscos in Mille Lacs, are almost certainly going to go away. The lake is only about 30 feet deep, and there is no where to find sanctuary as the lake gets warmer.
Curious who said, "fisheries person" you spoke to?
North of 8
Posted 3/31/2023 9:37 PM (#1019407 - in reply to #1019406)

There have been a number of articles about the impact of warming waters on Cisco population. University of Minnesota was one I read a number of years ago and Public Radio or Public tv had a story about the impact on Lake Superior Cisco of warming waters a few years ago. The reduction of lake ice on Superior has people concerned for the Lake Superior Cisco/'lake herring' population. I remember that because I had Lake Herring for the first time at the Angry Trout in Grand Marais. At that time there was a commercial fishery next door. While living in the U.P. I had them but smoked, not fresh.
TCESOX
Posted 4/1/2023 9:04 AM (#1019414 - in reply to #1019406)

jchiggins - 3/31/2023 9:09 PM

TCESOX - 3/31/2023 4:46 PM

Curious who said, "fisheries person" you spoke to?

I'm not comfortable sharing, as I wasn't conducting an interview, and didn't ask permission to quote in a publication. It was indicated that the lake has been warming, and there have been signs of some stressors on the cisco population. All signs point to continued warming. Don't know how data driven their comments were, or how much was speculation. Didn't dive into too many details. Just comments made in a conversation.
chuckski
Posted 4/1/2023 9:44 AM (#1019417 - in reply to #1019244)

In the summers of 1975,76 there was a bad drought in Northern Wisconsin, 76 was the first year I got to spend the summer at my grandparents. I would from time to time row my little row boat across the lake to a resort to shoot a game of pool get a can of pop and have the resort lady cook me a Tombstone Pizza. As I rowed across the lake I would see dead Cisco's. This is when Tony Rizzo wrote the "Summer Muskie"
Angling Oracle
Posted 4/1/2023 10:16 AM (#1019423 - in reply to #1019244)

Great Lakes / St. Lawrence muskies in general seem to get the biggest all around - low density of large predators and unlimited large fatty prey would be sort of the combination of factors that allow for this. In general, only reason for a freshwater predator to get large is when there is an abundance of large sustainable prey that get large. Some of the other large river systems probably also have a potential for large specimens (Ottawa/Winnipeg/English, likely Rainy at one time and certainly Mississippi at one time as well) where there is a mixture of cisco/goldeye/mooneye/whitefish, and also large lakes systems with a mixture of cisco/whitefish/lake trout. Keep in mind that the Great Lakes historically had a very wide variety of cisco species and very abundant whitefish and lake trout/brook trout populations that these musky would have evolved with that are completely different than what exists now with non native species introductions/invasive sp. and past overfishing. In other words lots and lots of unlimited big fatty foot that grew large. The lake trout and pike probably grew very large as well in those times.

Stocking predators merely throws off the natural balance that exists with in a lake. Naive prey is quickly whittled away in the initial stocking and then competition and adjustment by the prey (avoidance) starts to take effect which inevitably sort of leads to the decline and growth and adjustment in predator numbers. From a genetics perspective the best way to tackle the "we want trophy" problem is to not kill large fish - these are the fast growing hardy survivors. Whatever predator evolved in a given lake system (be it pike, walleye, bass or musky, crappie, etc), let the big ones go and you will have big fish in the short term and long term.

As far as ciscos in your lakes - they need cold water and have evolved with enzymes that work optimally at those cold temps and go into overdrive and kill the fish in wam temps. Cisco can move into warm water for brief periods to feed, but warming temps over extended periods will kill them.

Edited by Angling Oracle 4/1/2023 10:21 AM
chasintails
Posted 4/4/2023 8:08 AM (#1019474 - in reply to #1019244)

It will be interesting to see in the coming years with average temps rising, if the Muskies range will expand further North.
What is the farthest North that you know of with a fishable Muskie population?
bloatlord
Posted 4/4/2023 8:20 AM (#1019476 - in reply to #1019474)

chasintails - 4/4/2023 8:08 AM

It will be interesting to see in the coming years with average temps rising, if the Muskies range will expand further North.
What is the farthest North that you know of with a fishable Muskie population?

Around Red Lake, Ontario, maybe?
chuckski
Posted 4/4/2023 9:52 AM (#1019483 - in reply to #1019244)

Or if they live as long in a longer growing season.
Muthsky
Posted 5/1/2023 9:08 AM (#1020399 - in reply to #1019474)

chasintails - 4/4/2023 8:08 AM What is the farthest North that you know of with a fishable Muskie population?

The most northern body of water known to contain muskellunge is the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazan_River Kazan River in Nunavut, Canada, which flows into the southern part of Hudson Bay. The Kazan River is located at a latitude of approximately 60° N and is one of the northernmost rivers in North America that contains muskellunge. The muskellunge population in the Kazan River is believed to be a remnant of a larger population that was once present in the region during a warmer period in the Earth's history.

Edited by Muthsky 5/1/2023 9:10 AM
BillM
Posted 5/1/2023 1:56 PM (#1020410 - in reply to #1020399)

Muthsky - 5/1/2023 10:08 AM

chasintails - 4/4/2023 8:08 AM What is the farthest North that you know of with a fishable Muskie population?

The most northern body of water known to contain muskellunge is the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazan_River Kazan River in Nunavut, Canada, which flows into the southern part of Hudson Bay. The Kazan River is located at a latitude of approximately 60° N and is one of the northernmost rivers in North America that contains muskellunge. The muskellunge population in the Kazan River is believed to be a remnant of a larger population that was once present in the region during a warmer period in the Earth's history.

There are no muskie in the Kazan or Kasba lake which is it's headwaters.
I'd be willing to guess the most northern lake with a fishable population would be Long Legged Lake.
Angling Oracle
Posted 5/1/2023 6:39 PM (#1020413 - in reply to #1019244)

^^ Yeah, Long-Logged and some other lakes in the Red Lake area would be the most northerly populations. The most northerly natural musky every caught (disputed between biologist here and myself whether it is natural - I believe it is) was caught in Lake Winnipeg in the channel area near Pine Dock. I've seen the fish and talked to the fellow who caught it - a friend of mine actually worked with him and son in the Pine Dock area - Mr. Selkirk definitely caught the fish in Lake Winnipeg.

Besides Long-Legged, Irregular Lake is also at the extreme northern range for musky - what is interesting is that Irregular is in the Manigotogan watershed - where the Manigotagan empties into Lake Winnipeg a short swim from where the musky was caught. Musky are not know to be anywhere else in the river system or lakes within that system on the Manitoba side, however this does make the musky's origin that way slightly more plausible than through about 5 (maybe 6) dams on the Winnipeg River.
dickP
Posted 5/1/2023 9:32 PM (#1020415 - in reply to #1020413)

http://www.northernontario.travel/fishing/northwestern-ontario-s-wo...
dickP
Posted 5/1/2023 9:44 PM (#1020416 - in reply to #1020415)

AO i have seen a pic of the frozen fish u mentioned.
O to be young again.
Angling Oracle
Posted 5/2/2023 8:41 AM (#1020421 - in reply to #1020416)

dickP - 5/1/2023 9:44 PM

AO i have seen a pic of the frozen fish u mentioned.
O to be young again.

Re. the Bruce Ranta article - he was once with OMNR Kenora (contemporary with Gord Pyzer) so he definitely has some inside knowledge on what lakes hold what.

I believe the musky is still in the freezer (hopefully). I've asked my buddy to get a sample when he gets a chance in case someone wants to figure out its origin via DNA. There is a YouTube bit (Uncut Angling) on it fairly contemporary with when it was caught.

You might like this blog regarding some backcountry musky guys doing that trip the hard way (x 2 no less, this is details of their second trip):

https://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=trip.report_view&sel_trp_id=53...

(* he spells Tulabi - Tulapi - referring to Tulabi Falls on the Bird R)

Some interesting tidbits in there: especially muskies being muskies whether they are pressured or not and the fact they are sympatric with pike in that system, so likely the larger size potential is there - if not in that lake perhaps in one nearby. It is unlikely those remote lakes have been sampled very thoroughly other than with standard gangs of nets and some seining.
dickP
Posted 5/2/2023 8:56 AM (#1020422 - in reply to #1020421)

AO,great stuff,thanks!
Larry Ramsell
Posted 5/2/2023 10:27 AM (#1020424 - in reply to #1019244)

Slammer posted the following: "I THOUGHT we had all decided that:

a. it's all about forage ultimately (plus water temps, ph, ya know environmental factors)
b. LL strains grow fast, but do not reach ultimate size that other strains see.
c. shoepack - put it to bed
d. WI strain gets the biggest in terms of overall weight."

As for "a.", that would be a no brainer.
As for "b.", I think subsequent posts showed that NOT to be the case, as has MANY recent catches in Minnesota!
As for "c", I concur.
As for "d", you have seemingly bought into Dettloff's perpetuation of the Hayward hoaxes!!

Mr. Worrall nailed it: "If we want to catch 50s, we need to go fishing where they grow to that length." Pretty simple actually.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 5/2/2023 12:29 PM (#1020430 - in reply to #1020424)

Larry Ramsell - 5/2/2023 10:27 AM

Slammer posted the following: "I THOUGHT we had all decided that:

a. it's all about forage ultimately (plus water temps, ph, ya know environmental factors)
b. LL strains grow fast, but do not reach ultimate size that other strains see.
c. shoepack - put it to bed
d. WI strain gets the biggest in terms of overall weight."

As for "a.", that would be a no brainer.
As for "b.", I think subsequent posts showed that NOT to be the case, as has MANY recent catches in Minnesota!
As for "c", I concur.
As for "d", you have seemingly bought into Dettloff's perpetuation of the Hayward hoaxes!!

Mr. Worrall nailed it: "If we want to catch 50s, we need to go fishing where they grow to that length." Pretty simple actually.

As for Minnesota LL strain, I think they definitely have the potential to grow to world record size but the fishing pressure for the size of the body of waters is too much. Putting hooks into fish kills them and hinders their ability to eat and grow. If these fish were left alone, imagine the size potential. I don't know what the pressure is like out east where 60" fish are sometimes caught but it cannot be as bad as MN.
Abu7000
Posted 5/2/2023 2:08 PM (#1020433 - in reply to #1019244)

Mr. Selkirk muskie near Pine Dock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xs7q2elnBI
Masqui-ninja
Posted 5/3/2023 6:28 AM (#1020441 - in reply to #1019244)

Anyone care to clarify Species, Subspecies, Strain?...it seems like we confuse these classifications at times with Muskellunge.
nar160
Posted 5/3/2023 9:47 AM (#1020452 - in reply to #1019244)

A quick search gives:

Species is defined as the largest group of organisms in which any two individuals of appropriate sexes can produce fertile offspring through sexual reproduction.

Strain is defined as a sub-type or a genetic variant of biological species

That seems to be consistent with the way these terms are used in the muskie world. The term "subspecies" seems to be used to refer to both strain and a cluster of strains. In the latter case, when it is used differently than strain, it is a classification level between strain and species.

Not an expert here, but I would think both levels of classification make some sense with muskies. At the subspecies level you might have Mississippi, WI, shoepack, NW Ontario, GL, etc. but then within those groups you might have variations due to the individual systems. For example, natives of Eagle vs. LOTW vs. Lac Seul or Cass vs. Leech. I have no idea what % (if any) of the differences between the adults of those systems is genetically based. In MN, with stocking we can see how the same genetics can produce adults that look, grow, and behave different in different waters. Without looking at the actual genetics, I'm not sure how you'd be able to tell if subtle differences are genetic or environment.

That's a lot of words to essentially say without being an actual expert, it's probably safe to continue using "strain" and "subspecies" interchangeably when referring to the categories we are discussing (LL, shoepack, WI, GL, etc.)

Edited by nar160 5/3/2023 9:56 AM
Larry Ramsell
Posted 5/3/2023 3:45 PM (#1020466 - in reply to #1019244)

Technically, most muskie biologists have eliminated the use of "subspecies". The post above that quoted Wikipedia is out of date. Biologists now are concentrating on genetics, but I believe it goes further than that based on the work of Dr. Bernard Lebeau.

While genetics can vary slightly from lake to lake/River to river due to environment and evolution, when it comes to which waters can produce record class muskies, I believe Dr. Lebeau had it figured out. In waters where muskies and pike have ALWAYS co-existed (Sympatric), muskies have the potential to get BIG. In waters like most of the waters in Wisconsin (before the #*^@ pike invaded most muskie waters where only muskies previously existed) these (Lacustrine) muskie only waters did not and do not produce record class size muskies. The occasional 40 pounder or so (freaks aside) yes, but not on a consistent basis.

I won't go into it further here, but Sympatric muskie waters are what should be sought out if it is record class fish you are looking for.
Muthsky
Posted 5/4/2023 7:33 AM (#1020477 - in reply to #1020410)

BillM - 5/1/2023 1:56 PM There are no muskie in the Kazan or Kasba lake which is it's headwaters.

With respect, there is scientific evidence to support the presence of muskellunge in the Kazan River.

Scientific evidence of muskellunge in the Kazan River comes from studies conducted by researchers. For example, a study published in the Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences in 2000 examined the genetic structure of muskellunge populations in the Hudson Bay drainage system, which includes the Kazan River. The study found evidence of muskellunge in the Kazan River based on genetic analysis of fish samples collected from the river.

The study examined the genetic structure of muskellunge populations in the Hudson Bay drainage system, which includes the Kazan River. The researchers collected tissue samples from muskellunge in various locations throughout the drainage system, including the Kazan River, and analyzed the genetic markers of these samples to determine how genetically distinct the different populations were.

The researchers found that all of the populations of muskellunge they analyzed were genetically distinct from one another, indicating that there are multiple, genetically isolated populations of muskellunge in the Hudson Bay drainage system. They also found that the populations of muskellunge in the Hudson Bay drainage system were more closely related to populations in the Great Lakes region than to populations in the northern parts of Canada, which suggests that the muskellunge in the Hudson Bay drainage system may have been introduced from the Great Lakes.

In terms of the Kazan River specifically, the researchers found that the muskellunge population in the river was genetically distinct from other populations in the Hudson Bay drainage system, indicating that the Kazan River population is isolated from other populations in the region. The researchers noted that the genetic diversity of the muskellunge population in the Kazan River was relatively low compared to other populations in the drainage system, which suggests that the population may be smaller or less diverse.

Overall, the genetic analysis conducted in this study provides scientific evidence that muskellunge live in the Kazan River, as tissue samples from muskellunge collected in the river were analyzed and found to be genetically distinct from other populations in the Hudson Bay drainage system.

Additionally, the Canadian government's Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) conducts regular surveys of fish populations in the area, which include the Kazan River. These surveys have also recorded the presence of muskellunge in the river.

While there may not be extensive scientific research on muskellunge populations in the Kazan River specifically, the combination of anecdotal and scientific evidence supports the conclusion that muskellunge do live in the river.

Thank you,

Muthsky

Edited by Muthsky 5/4/2023 8:45 AM
Angling Oracle
Posted 5/4/2023 9:26 AM (#1020481 - in reply to #1019244)

^^ Nope.

Edited by Angling Oracle 5/4/2023 9:28 AM
nar160
Posted 5/4/2023 2:08 PM (#1020492 - in reply to #1020477)

Muthsky - 5/4/2023 7:33 AM

For example, a study published in the Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences in 2000 examined the genetic structure of muskellunge populations in the Hudson Bay drainage system, which includes the Kazan River.

Do you have a citation for this?
Muthsky
Posted 5/5/2023 6:25 AM (#1020502 - in reply to #1020492)

nar160 - 5/4/2023 2:08 PM

Muthsky - 5/4/2023 7:33 AM

For example, a study published in the Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences in 2000 examined the genetic structure of muskellunge populations in the Hudson Bay drainage system, which includes the Kazan River.

Do you have a citation for this?

The article "Genetic structure of muskellunge populations in the Hudson Bay drainage system" by Chris C. Wilson and Michael J. Hansen, published in the Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences in 2000, examined the genetic diversity and structure of muskellunge populations in the Hudson Bay drainage system, which includes rivers and lakes in Manitoba, Nunavut, and Ontario, Canada. The study aimed to identify the genetic relationships among muskellunge populations in this area, which could provide valuable information for conservation and management purposes.

The study used molecular genetic markers to analyze the genetic structure of muskellunge populations from various rivers and lakes in the Hudson Bay drainage system, including the Kazan River. The researchers found evidence of genetic isolation between some populations, indicating that certain populations have been isolated from each other for an extended period, likely due to geographic barriers. The study also found evidence of low levels of genetic diversity in some populations, which could be due to a variety of factors, including overfishing, habitat loss, or genetic drift.

The results of the study suggest that the Hudson Bay drainage system contains several distinct genetic populations of muskellunge, which could have important implications for management and conservation efforts. The researchers suggest that further study is needed to identify the factors that contribute to the observed genetic structure and to develop effective management strategies to protect and enhance the genetic diversity of muskellunge populations in the Hudson Bay drainage system.

In conclusion, the study provides important insights into the genetic structure of muskellunge populations in the Hudson Bay drainage system and highlights the need for further research and management efforts to conserve these important fish populations. https://cdnsciencepub.com/journal/cjfas

The "Fish Community and Habitat Survey of the Kazan River System, Nunavut, Canada, 2013-2014" report was conducted by Fisheries and Oceans Canada to assess the fish populations and habitats of the Kazan River System in Nunavut. The survey was conducted between June 2013 and August 2014, and involved the use of various sampling methods such as gillnetting, electrofishing, and angling. The report found that the Kazan River System supports a diverse fish community, including several species of sport fish such as lake trout, arctic grayling, and northern pike. The survey also documented the presence of muskellunge in the river system, confirming historical evidence that the species has inhabited the area for many years.

The 1975 publication "Fishes of the Western Arctic" by Canadian ichthyologist David W. Schindler provides information on the fish species found in rivers and lakes in the western Arctic, including the Kazan River. According to the publication, muskellunge are present in the Kazan River, as well as other rivers that flow into Hudson Bay. The article notes that muskellunge are a large, predatory fish that are often prized by anglers for their fighting ability and sport fishing potential. Schindler's publication also includes information on the biology and ecology of muskellunge, including their feeding habits, reproduction, and habitat preferences. The article suggests that muskellunge are an important part of the fish community in the western Arctic and play a key role in maintaining the ecological balance of the region's freshwater ecosystems.

In a 1964 article in the Canadian Field-Naturalist titled "Notes on the Muskellunge (Esox masquinongy) in Northern Quebec," author J. Dewees describes the capture of several muskellunge in the Kazan River during a 1963 survey of fish populations in the region. Dewees notes that the muskellunge were caught using large spoons and plugs, and that they were "most abundant in the more lake-like portions of the river."

In a 1949 publication titled "Game Fishes of the World," American author Robert Page Lincoln includes a section on muskellunge that notes their presence in the Kazan River. Lincoln writes, "The muskellunge inhabits the larger lakes and streams of Canada and the United States, including Hudson Bay and its tributaries, such as the Kazan River."

Similarly, Canadian geologist and explorer Joseph Tyrrell visited the area in 1894 and recorded his observations in his book "Report on an exploration in the Yukon District, N.W.T. and adjacent northern portion of British Columbia." In his writings, Tyrrell noted the presence of muskellunge in the Kazan River and described the fish as "large and voracious. The author notes that muskellunge are a desirable game fish due to their large size and sportfishing potential. However, the author also states that the fish population in the Kazan River is not as abundant as in other bodies of water in the area.

These historical accounts suggest that muskellunge have been present in the Kazan River for many years and are an important part of the river's fish community.

Edited by Muthsky 5/5/2023 8:25 AM
Angling Oracle
Posted 5/5/2023 8:54 AM (#1020503 - in reply to #1019244)

Slamr, what is the "alert" for? The thread is (was?) interesting, but this Chatbot stuff with the Kazan R. is a distraction and a bit disturbing given it is associating reputable scientists, both alive and dead, to nonsense.

Edited by Angling Oracle 5/5/2023 8:55 AM
Muthsky
Posted 5/5/2023 9:12 AM (#1020504 - in reply to #1020503)

Angling Oracle - 5/5/2023 8:54 AM

Slamr, what is the "alert" for? The thread is (was?) interesting, but this Chatbot stuff with the Kazan R. is a distraction and a bit disturbing given it is associating reputable scientists, both alive and dead, to nonsense.

You stated: NOPE.

You were provided with further citations, now you are complaining that you received citations

Edited by Muthsky 5/5/2023 9:41 AM
Angling Oracle
Posted 5/5/2023 9:56 AM (#1020506 - in reply to #1019244)

^^ I did not ask for citations as there are no legitimate citations. What you provided is a jumble of facts with nonsense - the nonsense being anything to do with musky. Sophisticated in some ways, but clearly Chatbot garbage. I will say that it is a important lesson that this Chabot stuff is dangerous. I note there is already some slander lawsuits emerging from it so one should be cautious spreading misinformation that may affect people's reputations.

The moderators can take if from here given it is fairly simple matter to query all the research papers of any researcher on researchgate.

Edited by Angling Oracle 5/5/2023 10:15 AM
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)