Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Decisions, Decisions, Decisions... TranxAHG and TranxA Applications

Message Subject: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions... TranxAHG and TranxA Applications
VMS
Posted 1/16/2023 5:46 PM (#1017170)
Subject: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions... TranxAHG and TranxA Applications

Hi Everyone...

In the process of upgrading to some new equipment, and have been thinking a lot about different applications of the Tranx 400 series of reels. I have one dedicated rod set up with a 500HG for big blades (double 10's) and have found it to be very nice for the larger topwater prop baits. So...with the big stuff taken care of, I am contemplating how I want to set up my other 3 rods, and am going with tranx 400's.

So...with that said, here is my question to all of you...help me decide. I am going to set up 3 rods. Tell me which reel (tranx 400A or tranx 400AHG) with each rod...

The rods:

Rod #1: St. croix Legend Sling Blade
Rod #2: St. Croix Legend 7' - 6" the Jerk (dedicated jerkbait rod but would consider other applications as well)
Rod #3: St. Croix Triumph 7' ligher action (I believe up to 4 oz?)

Which reel A or AHG would you put on each rod and the applications you would use them for?

Thanks!
nar160
Posted 1/16/2023 8:45 PM (#1017173 - in reply to #1017170)
Subject: Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions... TranxAHG and TranxA Applications

I'd go HG all around. The main benefit of low gear is reduced fatigue with hard pulling baits, but it sounds like your other setup is for that. All HG gives maximum redundancy and you won't have to adjust when moving between the setups.
jvlast15
Posted 1/17/2023 8:28 AM (#1017176 - in reply to #1017170)
Subject: RE: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions... TranxAHG and TranxA Applications

You have your big puller taken care of. Tranx 400A seems a little redundant. I would go HG on the rest of your reels - just more versitile.
TCESOX
Posted 1/18/2023 5:21 PM (#1017238 - in reply to #1017170)
Subject: Re: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions... TranxAHG and TranxA Applications

In general, I'm a high gear guy. I do have a low gear for my big blades, but also for my walk the dog(whether on the surface, or below). With the cadence I use, the high gear just picks up too much line, and I lose the needed slack to make it walk.
RJ_692
Posted 1/19/2023 2:45 PM (#1017258 - in reply to #1017170)

id put a high gear on jerkbait rod for sure. when the rod does the work and reel is mostly taking up line i like high gear

i also like high gear for things that have to do something fast to start, like say a buzzbait. i really like a long ranger with the HG for both buzzbaits and smaller swim baits. it doesnt take too long before straight cranking a bucktail or spinnerbait gets old with this.

cranks and spinners i go with a lower gear ratio. i still like the old 5:3:1 for these. call me old fashioned but i can speed that up or slow that down
Handy1
Posted 1/19/2023 7:52 PM (#1017265 - in reply to #1017170)

I use the 8'6' MHF Long Ranger for my smaller bucktails, from double 8's under 2oz to the smaller single blade bucktails. It is also great for 8" under minnow baits. I do pair with Shimano Tranx 300 HG to burn the bucktails.

I use the 8'6" HF Sling Blade for bigger bucktails , topwater, jerkbaits and less than 8oz rubber baits. I do pair with Shimano Tranx 400A with power handle to bring them bigger bucktails in with ease and speed.

I use the 8'6" HF Legend Elite with same setups as Sling Blade and Long Ranger, for different options for hot Musky, and use with the Tranx 400 HG. This rod and reel are the bomb! So light to throw all day!

The best thing these three rods all have in common, are that they all are split grips with 16" handles. The 16" handle clears my beer gut with no problem, Lol! 18" plus handle can be little more of challenge, Lol!

I use the 9' XXH Shock and Awe for all my rubber baits over 8ozs, paired with Tranx 400A with power handle.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)