Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> What is the best trailer hooks?

Message Subject: What is the best trailer hooks?
OH Muskyman
Posted 9/22/2022 12:28 PM (#1012061)
Subject: What is the best trailer hooks?

Ok this time of year I use a lot of buzz baits bass size and safety pin style spinner baits. I’m just above 55% catch rate once hooked so far for Sept. (have lost 16)
I’m at a loss, I’ve tried all the typical things I could think (sharpen hooks, harder hook sets, softer rod) that may help with no better results. May question is - is there a really good trailer hook out there anyone would recommend? And I would more than welcome any other suggestions that would help with keeping them hooked on these style baits.
Also I’m fishing in some real thick stuff so trebles are not an option.
jdsplasher
Posted 9/22/2022 2:42 PM (#1012065 - in reply to #1012061)
Subject: RE: What is the best trailer hooks?

My favorite trailer hook I use on my custom spinnerbaits is a Trotline hook 6/0. Large ringed,  I get from Barlows….

It’s just the nature of top water. Low hookup %. Try shortening up skirting. If possible, run your trailer hook upside down, and make sure it’s a long shank trailer! Don’t set hook till you feel weight…………..

JD 

7.62xJay
Posted 9/22/2022 11:34 PM (#1012083 - in reply to #1012061)
Subject: Re: What is the best trailer hooks?

Don't spose you can braze? I braze on EWG style hooks, before I did that I tied em on with 84lb AFW wire. I'm gunna have to try that JD, flipping the hook around. Otherwise Red October Stingers MAY work depending on your hook size/barb but I personally don't like the concept of shrink tube and main hooks barb being the only securing mechanism. And like JD said, wait for the weight, because sometimes that tap is actually them bitting the blade, they don't normally lose interest if you maintain retrieve speed, but you rip it out of sight, they gone.
OH Muskyman
Posted 9/23/2022 9:39 AM (#1012089 - in reply to #1012061)

I agree and I have done a much better job waiting to feel weight before setting hook. Although man that can be exciting and hard to do at times. My issue I believe is the trailer hook is not getting good penetration or the barb is not holding. Most I have hooked for awhile halfway to the boat then gone. I have even got to the point I do a really good job now days sharpening hooks several times each day or after catches.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 9/23/2022 11:36 AM (#1012099 - in reply to #1012061)

Sorry can’t help with the trailer hook but I was having problems with my hook sets holding as well. Now I went to a thicker medium /slow action rod and haven’t had any problems with hooking them. Also I’ve learned to pull harder Good luck cause I know how you feel after missing like over 10 in a row.
RikkiTikkii
Posted 9/25/2022 3:30 PM (#1012155 - in reply to #1012061)
Subject: RE: What is the best trailer hooks?

I would make sure you are using a heavy enough rod that you can really hammer them on the hook set, don’t be afraid to set two or three times if your instincts say to. I think fish in general are less likely to throw single hooks than trebles once you have them hooked. I fish pike with heavy duty spinnerbaits and almost never lose fish. If I do it’s because I let off pressure as I go to grab them and they go crazy at the same time.

Another thing I think many spinnerbaits lack is a large enough main hook. Some manufacturers seem to think that if you have a trailer hook the main jig hook can be about the same smallish size as the trailer hook. I like a big single hook with a long shank. I don’t really like trailer hooks either, especially in weeds. Would recommend lil hustler spinnerbaits and the pearson grinder.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)