Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Rod Reccomendations - 7’5” max length

Message Subject: Rod Reccomendations - 7’5” max length
RikkiTikkii
Posted 6/7/2022 4:14 PM (#1006856)
Subject: Rod Reccomendations - 7’5” max length

Hello my last post about leaders I got some very helpful responses so I back again to ask about my newest combo I will be purchasing soon. It’s technically for Muskie but it will inevitably mostly catch Great Lakes pike because prime musky waters are a decent drive.

I need a rod for lures about 1.5-3oz probably for mostly jerkbaits/gliders and large paddle tail and curly tail jigs. This rod will fill the gap between a heavy bass rod which comfortably throws up to 1.5oz and my dedicated musky rod which is an okuma labeled for 4-12oz (I don’t think it would do well with 8oz+ but I haven’t tried). The kicker is that the biggest one piece I can fit in my truck cab is 7’5” (my okuma is tele).

What would you buy in this range? Two piece, tele, short one piece rod because I use lots of jerk baits anyways? I’m leaning towards a short one piece. I greatly prefer Fenwick and they have a new line coming out where the handle attaches to the rod which is an abnormal two piece—don’t know how well it works. Also don’t know if Fenwick musky rod ratings are accurate. Also considering a st Croix or tackle Indusries 7’6” MH. Only rods I am prejudiced against is daiwa because they have a poor warranty program.

The reel will be a high ratio tranx/curado/scorpion 300 have not decided that yet.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

PS i just moved to the Burt/mullett lake area in Michigan if anyone is local.
7.62xJay
Posted 6/7/2022 8:03 PM (#1006867 - in reply to #1006856)
Subject: Re: Rod Reccomendations - 7’5” max length

Don't know have the answer to your question or know anything about it, but that Fenwick sounds cool.
Just commenting to let you know Musky Innovations has Tele rods on the Market now too.
RikkiTikkii
Posted 6/7/2022 8:26 PM (#1006869 - in reply to #1006867)

Thanks, I just checked them out—they were not on my radar at all. They look nice but they don’t seem to have a proper MH rod. They look pretty heavy duty and the lightest one was rated to 10oz. I assume their ratings are accurate since they are a musky company. The Winn grip type handles are unique.
RLSea
Posted 6/7/2022 8:37 PM (#1006870 - in reply to #1006856)

I have a TI 7'6" MH I use for small jerkbaits and it is super light, nice rod.
7.62xJay
Posted 6/7/2022 10:02 PM (#1006871 - in reply to #1006856)

I've never owned a St.Croix or a Fenwick, and i am not familiar with their warranty policies,that being said;If warranty and 1 piece short length is a prerogative, look at Cashion. Tried em once, never going to try another "bass class" rod. Absolutely love the rods and customer service. I believe warranty is unlimited,lifetime, no questions asked $60 replacement fee, with ability to upgrade for slightly larger fee.
TCESOX
Posted 6/11/2022 6:29 PM (#1006924 - in reply to #1006856)

One of my six casting set ups, is a Fenwick HMXT76X-T. It's a 7'6" telescoping rod. XH medium fast. It's a beefy bass rod, so it's not actually extra heavy, more like a medium heavy in the musky world. It says 3/8 to 2 oz. lures, but I typically throw 2-4 oz. baits no problem. rated for 12-30 lb. line. I have a Curado 300E, with 65 lb. Max Quatro line on it. I really like it because I can cast super accurately with it. Use it a lot around docks, with 5 inch swim baits and 2 oz. spinner baits. It has worked well for about 8 years and many fish.
mikie
Posted 6/12/2022 9:54 AM (#1006927 - in reply to #1006856)

IMHO, you can't go wrong with the Tackle Industries rod you mentioned. You hay wish to go up from MH if you're gonna jerkbait a lot with it. Best advice I can give is to pick out one you think you'll like then try to get your hands on it and see how it feels before you buy it. m
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)