Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Local Tournaments with Pro Anglers

Message Subject: Local Tournaments with Pro Anglers
ToddM
Posted 5/13/2022 9:44 AM (#1006338 - in reply to #1006267)
Subject: Re: Local Tournaments with Pro Anglers

If you can't go fish a local tournament do your best, enjoy the camaraderie knowing you are supporting a good cause,.exit area of a human comes to mind.

I think one of the reasons local tournament angling is down because that message is lost. Social media has brought the me-ism to the forefront and the collective good out.
mikie
Posted 5/13/2022 12:08 PM (#1006342 - in reply to #1006267)

There should also be restrictions on how fancy a GPS / Depth unit you have, if you're gonna even the playing field between ams and prosx. Each boat have only one spinner-type Lorwance unit to keep it fair. And, while we're at it, only ten baits per angler. Now, that's a contest! m
bturg
Posted 5/13/2022 12:21 PM (#1006343 - in reply to #1006329)

1. Not offended
2. don't guide anymore
3. a bit surprised at the anti-guide bias here
4. going back to my cave like most of the other 5%
ToddM
Posted 5/13/2022 2:24 PM (#1006344 - in reply to #1006343)

bturg - 5/13/2022 12:21 PM

1. Not offended
2. don't guide anymore

It's good to have people who.we read in print and see on TV here and have that interaction. If we listed all the big names who stopped posting due to being attacked over petty jealousy people new to these message boards would cry. Nearly unfettered access to that interaction. If you can think of them they would be on the list.

Edited by ToddM 5/13/2022 2:25 PM
raftman
Posted 5/13/2022 2:24 PM (#1006345 - in reply to #1006343)

Me too. If I started a thread asking for tips for my first trip to vermilion the first 5 tips I’d get would be to hire a guide.

7.62xJay
Posted 5/13/2022 3:38 PM (#1006347 - in reply to #1006345)

raftman - 5/13/2022 2:24 PM

Me too. If I started a thread asking for tips for my first trip to vermilion the first 5 tips I’d get would be to hire a guide.

I'd theorize it comes from the whole "the dumbest speak the loudest, and the loudest are heard the most" effect. An indirect negative experience with a guide will also stick in your mind far longer than a positive. Because more than likely that positive experience was nothing more than "boring, 0 contact, just some people in a boat fishing". Shoot, unless their boat or vehicle has custom business decals on it, you'd have no idea that "that someone" is even a guide.

I've only had one negative experience with a bass/pike guide. Not directly though, just watching and listening him. Felt terrible for his clients, his reputation and reviews eventually do him in. And that's OK.

Other than that, I've got nothing but respect, jealousy, and envy for guides.
North of 8
Posted 5/13/2022 3:45 PM (#1006348 - in reply to #1006343)

1. Not offended
2. don't guide anymore

Don't go too far back in that cave. I for one appreciate the help you provide on this board, just finished extending the handle on a rod using the tips you posted for me.
esoxaddict
Posted 5/13/2022 5:06 PM (#1006351 - in reply to #1006267)

I fished a lot with a lot of guides. A LOT. Some would be considered "legendary" by most. I've learned a ton from some of them, a little from all of them, and jack-poopy from a few of them. Some are now good friends, and some I wouldn't trust any farther than I could throw them. There are a couple that I wouldn't mind seeing just how far I could throw now that I think about it. Some I'd be really excited to have in my boat during a tournament. Some I'd be excited to see fishing out of another boat, and some I couldn't care less as long as they say on the other end of the lake.

Edited by esoxaddict 5/13/2022 5:08 PM
curdmudgeon
Posted 5/13/2022 10:27 PM (#1006353 - in reply to #1006267)

addict just, as they say, won the internet. Hat tip!
curdmudgeon
Posted 5/13/2022 10:41 PM (#1006354 - in reply to #1006333)

sworrall - 5/13/2022 8:46 AM

Moderating this herd of cats is part of my daily job.

Puhleeze! That is China Cat Sunflower, Sir!
Ciscokid82
Posted 5/14/2022 8:59 PM (#1006363 - in reply to #1006267)

I’ve been a carpenter for about 20 years now, and have been working on my own(LLC) for 8. As I see it fishing guides are just like contractors in the trades. I get almost all my business through word of mouth and if you do poor quality work or are an ass then you will simply not stick around long, no matter how much you’ve spent investing in your business. A young or old fishing guide, who has a new rig( that you are envious of apparently), has probably taken out a substantial loan to pay for that equipment. And all that means is that they are betting on themselves! They are under massive pressure to catch, teach, and keep people happy, and for a wage that is really quite modest. Are there any wealthy Midwest fishing guides - I don’t personally know any that got wealthy from fishing/guiding without some other income source. Go crawl back into your hole.
chuckski
Posted 5/14/2022 10:01 PM (#1006365 - in reply to #1006267)

Hey big boats with all the whistle's are the norm today and client's expect the norm. Has anybody seen a guide fish out of a row boat with a ten horse?
BigMo
Posted 5/15/2022 10:21 AM (#1006370 - in reply to #1006267)
Subject: RE: Local Tournaments with Pro Anglers

When I was a kid (I am 53 now), we always tried to get better to "play up" in sports......play on the 10 year old team when we were 8, make varsity as soon as you could (even if it meant sitting on the bench), etc. I/we were a competitive bunch so we worked to get better. In terms of fishing local tournaments, I have no problem with guides/pros fishing them. I want to fish against those folks. Might just learn something too.

In golf, there is a weekend game I play in for solid money that is season long and it is based on birdies only. It is open to everyone of all skill levels and it doesn't matter how many rounds you play. Some of the guys (surprisingly mostly mid-handicappers not high) have started to complain because they haven't won anything. "So and So plays 2x more rounds than anyone," "So and So is a 2 handicap," etc. My response.....guess you have to play better or don't play. One can choose not to fish events like that or get better.

Finally, angling is A OR THE source of income for the guides and pros one is referring to. No quarrels with that from me. I just enjoy fishing and competing once in a while. If a pro/guide is in the field, I better do well enough to put spending money in my pocket or contribute to their livelihood.
ToddM
Posted 5/15/2022 11:56 AM (#1006372 - in reply to #1006267)

The FRV Challunge on the Chain had local guides and former guides in it yesterday. Some of them blanked and didn't make the top ten for a check. Next year one of them might win it. No guarantees. Support the local give back to the fisheries club tournaments. We stocked over 800 Muskies in the chain last year alone. Not something we can do without your support. I am glad some of the guides stepped up to support our efforts.

Edited by ToddM 5/15/2022 11:58 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)