Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Jerk Trolling Drag

Message Subject: Jerk Trolling Drag
bigwillmc
Posted 5/8/2022 5:50 PM (#1006226)
Subject: Jerk Trolling Drag

Have never trolled before but yesterday figured I would give jerk trolling a try to cover more water. So I started jerk trolling a Suick up shallow at ~2.2mph, and it didn't take too long until the rod loaded up real nicely and I had a fish on. The fish stayed pinned for a few seconds and gave me about 7 solid headshakes before she got off.

In retrospect, I'm starting to think that I may have yanked the hooks out of the fish. I was using my casting setup, so basically an XH rod with braid and my drag locked down. I'm fairly new to musky fishing and have never trolled before, but from what I've read it sounds like it's good to have the drag slip when a fish hits it while trolling at 3+mph. So maybe I should back off the drag a bit more, but I am trolling a bit slower so I also don't want it too loose.

What does everybody think? Should the drag slip even when trolling at 2mph? If so, how tight should it be? Or maybe fish just get off and that's fishing. Hoping to figure it out ahead of time vs by losing fish haha.
Ranger
Posted 5/8/2022 10:06 PM (#1006235 - in reply to #1006226)
Subject: RE: Jerk Trolling Drag

Assuming your drag system is at 100%, set the drag just like you would for normal casting. Which is not overly tight. Deal is, you can always use your thumb to sorta lock the spool as you set the hook. Then, if the fish is big or green or both let up and allow the fish some space. When trolling a Suick, pulling forward then stalling, it's easy to keep your thumb on the spool. Also, with a Suick, pull the rod forward from 5:00 to 3:00 (or 7:00 to 9:00), stall and then drift the rod tip back with a tight line - a good way to be ready to set the hook no matter what.

I had a lot of success (for me) slow trolling Suicks after dark on smaller, mid-summer, pressured lakes. When schools of gills are at the surface over deep water then the big predators are nearby and looking up. Rake the lake and maybe luck into a hot tanker.

Good luck!
jdsplasher
Posted 5/8/2022 10:39 PM (#1006236 - in reply to #1006235)
Subject: RE: Jerk Trolling Drag

It definitely sounds like you ripped the hooks from his jaws if your drag was locked down. You should be able to pull line off spool pinching your finger and thumb on line. Never tighten drag down when trolling. Your asking for trouble. Straighten hooks, broken line, broken rod, stripped gears on reel……

Not sure if Suick still attaches hook to cotter pin, but I would cut the hooks, then replace hooks with a split ring. Hook too rigid if Not split ringed. Fish gets leverage if hook don’t rotate a bit.

Trolling jerk baits is an excellent productive method of catching fish…..heck, it’s trolling!!!

JD  

chuckski
Posted 5/9/2022 10:22 AM (#1006244 - in reply to #1006226)
Subject: Re: Jerk Trolling Drag

When I cast I'm pretty much a locked drag guy when I troll I back off a bit.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 5/9/2022 11:51 AM (#1006248 - in reply to #1006226)

IMO with any kind of trolling you need:
-a fiberglass rod
-mono line
-a perfectly adjusted drag
*Pick two*
Ranger
Posted 5/9/2022 12:54 PM (#1006251 - in reply to #1006226)

Ya, when I say "your drag at 100%" I mean your drag system is operating at peak performance. Almost all my reels are older Ambassadeurs which are very easy to maintain and upgrade. Every Ambassadeur is upgraded with Smooth Drag carbon fiber washers. My reels are clean and properly lubed, too, with upgraded gears and bearings. Check out the competition surf casters from Japan, those guys really know how to trick out reels. I try to do what they do but they're the best in the world.

I set all drags the same when I hit the water, i.e., I'm able to pull line off the reel by hand but its not easy. When I take out I release the pressure on all the drag systems because with Ambassadeurs there are a pair of concave metal washers that I do not want to flatten; once those guys get flattened the drag system is screwed.

For me, the proper drag setting is where a green boat side fish can both get hooked well and also pull line without me releasing the spool.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)