Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Need a 2nd Opinion

Message Subject: Need a 2nd Opinion
Weiseyyy
Posted 5/4/2022 7:26 PM (#1006092)
Subject: Need a 2nd Opinion

Hello!
(Lots of text below)

I have recently posted a couple of threads that are in relation to my current predicament here. To make it as short as possible, I am currently deciding on what I want to do for a new setup for big rubber. Money isn't an issue, but I have already spent a solid amount this season on new gear since it is my first real year targeting muskies. Anyways, I have two options at the moment. The first one being this: Get the rod and reel I truly want (Tranx 500HG and XXH Thorne Predator) and bite the bullet and spend the money for something that I'll use for many many years as I progress in this sport. Option two being this: Go with an older rod and reel setup (First Gen Lexa 400H with an old 9' XXH TI rod that has been chopped down to 7'7") from a gentleman online without being able to feel or test out either piece for $200.

The reason I am considering option two is because since I have already put a solid amount into the sport thus far, maybe I go with something cheaper that may still get the job done. I am equally as close to going with option one because I haven't been disappointed yet with just going with what I truly want, but is it worth it? $200 for something that could very well work, but isn't great and is kind of unorthodox, or $950 for what I really want, what I can personally test out in person, and that will last for years.

Thanks for any input on this. It really isn't that deep of an issue, but I feel like many have felt the same way about things.
Ram
Posted 5/4/2022 7:33 PM (#1006094 - in reply to #1006092)
Subject: RE: Need a 2nd Opinion

Option 1. You won’t regret it. Same set up I have.
joh10891
Posted 5/4/2022 7:38 PM (#1006095 - in reply to #1006092)

Option 1. If you go option 2, you'll just be wondering/wishing what things would be like if you went option 1. Plus a TI XXH chopped that short (depending on how it was done) is gonna be too stiff IMO. For the record I love my tackle industries rods, and also the original Lexas have held up great and been my go-to reel for seasons and seasons. But go option 1.
Weiseyyy
Posted 5/4/2022 7:52 PM (#1006096 - in reply to #1006094)

Ram - 5/4/2022 7:33 PM

Option 1. You won’t regret it. Same set up I have.

Awesome! Mind if I ask what length you went with for the rod?
Also, thanks a ton on the input. It means a lot.
Weiseyyy
Posted 5/4/2022 7:53 PM (#1006097 - in reply to #1006095)

joh10891 - 5/4/2022 7:38 PM

Option 1. If you go option 2, you'll just be wondering/wishing what things would be like if you went option 1.

That is another thing I was worried about too. Thanks a ton for your input sir.
Ciscokid82
Posted 5/4/2022 8:22 PM (#1006101 - in reply to #1006092)
Subject: Re: Need a 2nd Opinion

I’d go with the rod you want but not sure you need to go to the 500 Tranx. With rubber bait you really don’t need the cranking power because they don’t create the drag that a big bucktail has, and mostly it’s a pull/pause or rip/ pause style of retrieve. The rod is the more important tool for rubber imo. I’d get a smaller HS reel that will balance out the setup better.
jdsplasher
Posted 5/4/2022 8:37 PM (#1006102 - in reply to #1006101)

Ciscokid82 - 5/4/2022 8:22 PM I’d go with the rod you want but not sure you need to go to the 500 Tranx. With rubber bait you really don’t need the cranking power because they don’t create the drag that a big bucktail has, and mostly it’s a pull/pause or rip/ pause style of retrieve. The rod is the more important tool for rubber imo. I’d get a smaller HS reel that will balance out the setup better.

This! Agree with Ciscokid!

JD 

esoxaddict
Posted 5/4/2022 8:56 PM (#1006103 - in reply to #1006101)

I'll throw my hat in the ring here. I spent a lot of money buying rods when I started out without knowing what rods were best matched with what reels and for what applications. Rod and reel choices depend on how you fish, where you fish, what you fish with as far as lures, and what you fish out of. That's not something you're likely to figure out right away, so I'd be careful buying dedicated setups for any one application until you know you need them.
Weiseyyy
Posted 5/4/2022 9:23 PM (#1006106 - in reply to #1006101)

Ciscokid82 - 5/4/2022 8:22 PM

I’d go with the rod you want but not sure you need to go to the 500 Tranx.

What would you recommend then? A 400? I’ve never understood why people think they need the 500 either, but big reel for big baits makes sense ??
RLSea
Posted 5/4/2022 9:28 PM (#1006107 - in reply to #1006092)

The most important tool for fishing big rubber is the rod. The difference in casting effort between a rod built for it and one that's not is HUGE. And in this application, long rods rule. If you're hesitant to shell out the big bucks for Predator which is the apex IMO, there are several good options for considerably less made by St. Croix, TI, Chaos, Bulldawg, Musky Shop etc.
joh10891
Posted 5/4/2022 10:01 PM (#1006110 - in reply to #1006102)

With the folks mentioning 400 sized reels for large rubber: I would've agreed a few years ago (and it does seems to be majority opinion), but I've changed my sentiment. It's not just about the drag- it's inertia. Heavy plastic baits, especially on the pause or fall, take a bit of energy to get going again. Some rubber baits (medusas come to mind) do have a fair amount of water resistance too. To be clear, both the inertia and drag related energy isn't near as bad as large bucktails. But having a 500 sized reel certainly makes fishing large rubber baits easier. Something like a straight retrieve or smaller plastic though, I'd agree the smaller reels are fine. Long story short, I say stick with the Tranx 500
And agreed, rod more important than reel for large rubber.
medy
Posted 5/4/2022 10:09 PM (#1006113 - in reply to #1006092)

Opinion from someone that has thrown rubber on a 7’6” XH, I think option 2 is too short of a rod to throw big rubber. Way more work to throw it on a shorter set up
Musky-Slayer
Posted 5/5/2022 12:10 AM (#1006114 - in reply to #1006092)

I throw a 8' Tooth Tamer Jawbreaker rod, it has a long grip which gives u good leverage to throw the Big Rubber. It's rated up to 48oz/3lb lure. I throw 2lbers and Monster Dussa's with it or just pounders all day effortlessly. Best part is, it doesn't break the Bank... I also have a 7'9" XXXH St.Croix Premier it works fine for pounders. I have multiple rod's in each size from 7'6"/7'9"/8'/8'6" to 9'3". IMO the shorter length is not a cast ability issue at all especially when the reel is set properly to the bait you're throwing.

http://www.biggametackleco.com/muskie-rods.html
Ogandrews
Posted 5/5/2022 5:49 AM (#1006118 - in reply to #1006092)

The first predator I bought was a 10ft xxh that I got last year with a new lexa 400hd 8.1 and it’s an incredible rod. If all you want to do is throw big rubber and have the option to throw stuff bigger than pounders than go with a xxh. If you don’t plan on going over a pounder than an xh is the most versatile rod I’ve ever used. Throws a pounder super well and also throws a small single 8 bucktail really well if I wanted to use it.

Buy the predator and you’ll have the best rod if quality is important to you. Buy once cry once

I will say if you can find a tranx 500 great than get it but I’ve been throwing all my rubber on either a lexa hd or a lexa tws. Much less expensive than a tranx 500, waaay lighter and more comfortable, and way easier to find. After switching from tranx to lexas last year I doubt I’ll ever buy another tranx. Lexas have better casting distance, more comfortable, and $120-200 less depending on which you get. Lexas got a bad name because the first gen ones weren’t as good but in the last 1-2 years they have become incredible reels
Weiseyyy
Posted 5/5/2022 10:12 AM (#1006125 - in reply to #1006118)

Ogandrews - 5/5/2022 5:49 AM
Buy the predator and you’ll have the best rod if quality is important to you. Buy once cry once

I actually did buy my first one this off season and can’t wait to use it on the water. I got a 9’6” XH as that’s what I was told was going to be the most versatile rod, like you mentioned. At the time, I never planned on throwing monster Medusas or bigger because I barely knew what they were and just never thought about it. I paired it with a 400 Tranx and it feels amazing! If only it could at least come just a little closer to being able to kind of throw big rubber, I wouldn’t even think about getting another setup.

Thanks a lot for the input sir.
chuckski
Posted 5/5/2022 12:55 PM (#1006134 - in reply to #1006092)

I own option 1 also!
Conservation Guy
Posted 5/5/2022 1:50 PM (#1006135 - in reply to #1006125)

I would suggest using what you have this season to see what you like/do not like, especially since it is perfectly suited for throwing large rubber up to a pound. You can spend a lot of money only to realize things that annoy you once you are using it for a couple of days on the water.
Weiseyyy
Posted 5/5/2022 2:08 PM (#1006136 - in reply to #1006135)

Conservation Guy - 5/5/2022 1:50 PM

I would suggest using what you have this season to see what you like/do not like, especially since it is perfectly suited for throwing large rubber up to a pound. You can spend a lot of money only to realize things that annoy you once you are using it for a couple of days on the water.

I’m thinking that this is the plan at the moment. I just hope that if I do end up liking heavy rubber baits and throwing them, options for gear will still be available, primarily from Shimano.

Thanks for your input sir. Super helpful.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 5/5/2022 5:33 PM (#1006141 - in reply to #1006136)

You already own a 9'6" predator XH? That's one of the best big rubber rods already. You can throw anything with it. Are you able to actually find a Tranx 500HG? I haven't looked for a while so maybe they're coming back in stock but from what I've seen they aren't available.
Weiseyyy
Posted 5/5/2022 7:25 PM (#1006144 - in reply to #1006141)

Kirby Budrow - 5/5/2022 5:33 PM

You already own a 9'6" predator XH? That's one of the best big rubber rods already. You can throw anything with it. Are you able to actually find a Tranx 500HG? I haven't looked for a while so maybe they're coming back in stock but from what I've seen they aren't available.

The rod seems fantastic for literally everything up to pounders, which for most people is plenty. Also, I believe I’ve found a hookup for 500HGs if you are looking for em. They probably won’t last long.
pstrombe
Posted 5/5/2022 8:43 PM (#1006146 - in reply to #1006092)

Guess I'm a cheap skate.
8 ft Okuma XXH paired with a Shimano Calcutta and 80 Lb Power Pro
Ogandrews
Posted 5/5/2022 10:58 PM (#1006150 - in reply to #1006141)

Kirby Budrow - 5/5/2022 5:33 PM

I was going to say the same thing as this now that I’m thinking about it. In the vast majority of situations you aren’t probably going bigger than a pounder so until your really comfortable throwing those than it’s not worth the money getting a dedicated rod for the giant stuff. I really like my xxh and use it for almost all my rubber but that is more so due to the fact that it has an 8.1 lexa hd on it which I like better for rubber than the 7.1 tws on my xh. If I had to throw rubber all year with the xh I wouldn’t feel like I’m at any disadvantage until the odd situation I go over a pounder.

Throwing big rubber isn’t for everyone. On video it looks really cool but you could throw a pounder for an hour and realize that it isn’t your favorite tactic. Get used to how to work the baits and if you like doing it enough than get a dedicated rod for it. Coming from bass fishing I spent a crazy amount of money on technique specific rods right when I got into musky fishing. My rod selection has been cut way down because I’ve realized that a couple quality rods can present baits in the same way as something technique specific. You can really go down the rabbit hole once you want to have the perfect rod for every different bait
southern comfort
Posted 5/6/2022 8:15 AM (#1006154 - in reply to #1006092)

You are talking about investing $1,000 on a heavy rubber set-up.i would suggest using your current 9'6" XH Predator set-up this year to see how it goes and get more experience with heavy rubber. In re to Tranx 500 I find I use mine most often throwing big bucktails Dbl 10s or bigger.
7.62xJay
Posted 5/6/2022 8:45 AM (#1006155 - in reply to #1006092)

I'm in the exact same boat as you Weiseyy. However I've been waiting all year to for my employment year mark to come around in order to cash out my unused PTO (Use it or cash it out at the end of the year policy). Well 3 weeks of extra pay and these forum members has got me motivated to get a my first Predator. Going to Spoil myself with a nice glass of Scotch while I draw up ideas for a custom 10' XXH. If your still on the fence, I can let you know what I think of it in a few months.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)