Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Fishing a glide bait and a regular D swimbait?

Message Subject: Fishing a glide bait and a regular D swimbait?
KDogg14
Posted 4/19/2022 5:56 PM (#1004636)
Subject: Fishing a glide bait and a regular D swimbait?

Went back out yesterday morning. It was brutal. Cold front came through and water temp dropped to 56. Wind was blowing pretty good as well. Didn't get any hits or follows but I have a few questions about technique. First question, are double 8 and 10 spinners a pain in the butt to get the blades to start moving? I tried several and each one seems to spin properly only 1 out of 3 casts. Is there something I am doing wrong or do the lures just need to be broken in so they can spin properly as soon as I begin my retrieve? I was messing around with a regular D and I was just reeling it in. Are they any methods to working a regular or super D? I liked throwing the sea cow. https://tackleindustries.com/shop/jerkbaits_gliders/sea_cow/scw-18/
Do you work this glide bait like a jerk bait? I would reel, jerk, pause, repeat. How aggressive should me jerks be?
Weiseyyy
Posted 4/19/2022 6:04 PM (#1004637 - in reply to #1004636)
Subject: RE: Fishing a glide bait and a regular D swimbait?

KDogg14 - 4/19/2022 5:56 PM

I was messing around with a regular D and I was just reeling it in. Are they any methods to working a regular or super D?

This is really the only part of your post I can speak on. For any rubber bait like that, (of course, depending on time of year and water situation) you can do whatever you want with it on the retrieve. Rip it fast, make slow pulls and let it drop, straight retrieve, burning it back, etc. That's what makes rubber baits so much fun and versatile. It sounds like you were enduring some unenjoyable and windy conditions. In that case, you'd probably want to work the rubber a bit more aggressive so potential fish can feel them better among the waves. Hope this helps at least a little bit.

Edited by Weiseyyy 4/19/2022 6:07 PM
mikie
Posted 4/19/2022 6:50 PM (#1004641 - in reply to #1004636)
Subject: Re: Fishing a glide bait and a regular D swimbait?

The Sea Cow should not require much effort and it, like the Manta, is easy to over work. Tap it with a downward motion of the rod, let it kick to one side, pause, tap it, let it kick to the other size, pause, set the hook, reel in the fish on a tight line. Current will affect such baits but they can still be worked. Keep at it. m
KDogg14
Posted 4/19/2022 7:59 PM (#1004643 - in reply to #1004641)

mikie - 4/19/2022 6:50 PM

The Sea Cow should not require much effort and it, like the Manta, is easy to over work. Tap it with a downward motion of the rod, let it kick to one side, pause, tap it, let it kick to the other size, pause, set the hook, reel in the fish on a tight line. Current will affect such baits but they can still be worked. Keep at it. m

That's what I thought. Thank you. I think I was over working the bait meaning I was twitching too hard.
Rudedog
Posted 4/20/2022 5:46 AM (#1004651 - in reply to #1004636)

If you haven't yet......get on you tube and watch some muskie vids. You can learn alot from watching others. Reputable ones who have many vids and views, like Keyes Outdoors, Team Rhino, Musky Shop, Doug Wegner, Angling Anarchy, Blue Ridge Musky.
North of 8
Posted 4/20/2022 7:36 AM (#1004653 - in reply to #1004651)

Rudedog - 4/20/2022 5:46 AM

If you haven't yet......get on you tube and watch some muskie vids. You can learn alot from watching others. Reputable ones who have many vids and views, like Keyes Outdoors, Team Rhino, Musky Shop, Doug Wegner, Angling Anarchy, Blue Ridge Musky.

This is great advice. It is one thing to read about how to work a bait, but for many of us, actually seeing it done is better. For example, I have used Suicks since the late 1970s but just was not having much action with them and had lost confidence. This winter I found a video where Jeff Hanson was showing how he works the bait. Jeff did a nice job of explaining and demonstrating.
musky513
Posted 4/20/2022 9:12 AM (#1004657 - in reply to #1004636)

AS far as bucktails and their blades spinning right away, they should. Try bending the shaft of the bait just below the line tie loop to about 30ish degrees. It should help a little. Also check that the clevises are U shaped and ride parallel on each other. If they are more V shaped they will have a tougher time starting and spinning in my experience. Also, a quick snap of the rod tip as the bait hits the water can help engage the blades.
sworrall
Posted 4/20/2022 11:54 AM (#1004660 - in reply to #1004636)

--First question, are double 8 and 10 spinners a pain in the butt to get the blades to start moving? I tried several and each one seems to spin properly only 1 out of 3 casts.--

Most of the time when I see this it's when the angler engages the reel too late. I stop the spool with my thumb with the lure just above the water at the same time starting the retrieve. With a little accent from the rod tip the lure is plunged forward, usually starting even the most stubborn blades. This also keeps the lure from getting fouled in the cover and will allow you to control the depth of the lure all the way to the boat.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)