Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Jerkbait Rods

Message Subject: Jerkbait Rods
EllusiveGoose
Posted 12/1/2021 9:17 PM (#999427)
Subject: Jerkbait Rods

I really got into dive and rise baits the last few years. I currently use a Thorne Predator XH 9’6” with 18” handle for my jerkbaits. I have just been pulling to the side a bit to still work dive and rise and gliders. I can work the lures pretty good but worry I’m missing out and would benefit from a shorter rod.
I have never used a designated jerbait rod before and I have been trying to keep it to only two rods because I fish in a 14’ Lund. But this year I threw dive and rise baits (suicks and sand cats) 50% of the time. Is it worth getting a shorter jerkbait rod? Would I get better action or is the advantage more in comfort of working the baits and personal preference? And what suggestions would you have for currently available factory rods or even custom builds like a Thorne Predator (I prefer 18” full cork handles and a palming seat the only rods I’ve seen so far with cork and a palming reel is the musky shop rod in 8’ H and XH)
I throw 8” and 10” sandcat, xorsist and 9-12” suicks as well as a variety of glide baits.
I’d love any input and suggestions as I am still learning the ins and outs of jerkbaits

Thanks
EllusiveGoose
Posted 12/1/2021 9:19 PM (#999428 - in reply to #999427)
Subject: Re: Jerkbait Rods

I should also note I’ve read every thread I could find on this site about jerkbait rods but they were all older/before the long rod craze. I’m also curious what suggestions anyone who uses a longer rod for jerbaits have as far as techniques to still get optimal action and control.
happy hooker
Posted 12/2/2021 3:47 AM (#999430 - in reply to #999428)

Personally I like shorter jerkbait rods,,6.8 is my prefered,,with a shorter rod you get more angle and sweep distance when jerking and driving a bait down which is what I rather do then sweep the rod to the side. And less guides to ice up in late season,,more tip action for finesse,
Orchestra leaders have small wands not long ones to make their subtle adjustments
Ronix
Posted 12/2/2021 7:20 AM (#999433 - in reply to #999427)

its personal preference - if you're fishing them fine with the 9'6" predator then stick with that. I would argue that any difference in lure action between a shorter rod and longer rod is negligible. I had a 9'3XH predator made for jerkbaits with the same specs you said you prefer and I find that length works well. So, having a slightly shorter predator built with those specs you like is a good option too if you believe you're missing a better jerkbait setup.
Cedar
Posted 12/2/2021 9:14 AM (#999436 - in reply to #999427)
Subject: RE: Jerkbait Rods

Just from the few responses so far, there is a 3' difference in rod length. It's just personal preference for how you'd like to fish. There is no right size, as it can depend on your height, how high off the water you are on your boat deck, how you like to sweep the rod, type of baits thrown, etc. If you like sweeping to the side, then the length doesn't really matter. If you sweep downward, then longer rods are not as easy to work with. Personally, I make mine 7'6" to 7'10", and they're perfect for me, how I fish. I would suggest that if you are interested in a shorter rod, try one that one of your fishing friends may have, or post something here. Someone that lives by you may let you give theirs a try. You could also buy a used one, and give it toss to see where you may want to go from there. Most of St Croix's Musky rods seem to have palming grips lately, so you can check those out to see if anything looks interesting. If you are looking for something really specific, go custom. Good luck, and have fun on the search.
EllusiveGoose
Posted 12/2/2021 6:35 PM (#999446 - in reply to #999427)

I appreciate the responses so far. I think the advice to try a friends shorter rod out is a great idea. I think my buddy has a 8’ Heavy he uses for jerkbaits so I’ll give that a try. Then I’ll know what I prefer and could save for a custom if I see a difference With a shorter rod.
For me sweeping the rod works really good with sandcats and it works pretty good for suicks but I think I could get stronger pulls and depth if I pulled them straight down. I think gliders and particularly WTD topwaters is where I could envision a shorter rod making a noticeable difference.
RLSea
Posted 12/2/2021 9:15 PM (#999450 - in reply to #999427)

If you find that you like a shorter rod for jerk baits, which I prefer, TI (a sponsor here) makes a very fine 7' 6" rod which I used this year and love it. It's responsive and light feeling.
chuckski
Posted 12/3/2021 11:16 PM (#999469 - in reply to #999427)

I'm old enough I started fishing with 5 1/2 foot pole cue. In the early 90's I got St. Croix 5503 H 6' loved that rod then I got a G, Loomis 6'9" jerkbait rod then a second one to boot. Now I use a old G. Loomis 7' 10" XH trolling rod for my jerk bait fishing.
North of 8
Posted 12/4/2021 8:45 AM (#999471 - in reply to #999469)

Like Chuckski, I started fishing with shorter rods, only for me it was back in the 1970s.
Suicks were what I used the most and I got used to working them with a downward snap. I now have a 7'6" TI jerkbait rod and really like it. But fishing with younger guys who grew up with 8'6" rods being the norm, they do a great job of working jerk baits and gliders with a side-to-side motion.
mm3
Posted 12/5/2021 7:23 PM (#999506 - in reply to #999471)

I think when you design anything there are always tradeoffs. The longer rods cast further, are great for ripping plastics and are dream to figure 8. I feel those shorter rods though, that others are referring to, are much more efficient at controlling some dive and rise and glide baits with a simple downward snap of the rod tip. I think it's a rationalization to think the longer rods are better for some of those baits. You can certainly get the same action, but with either twisting your body or pulling your arms to the side instead of a simple and efficient downward snap.
twofishy4u
Posted 12/5/2021 7:53 PM (#999508 - in reply to #999427)

Great topic! I'm looking at building a jerkbait rod for myself. Thinking that TI 7'6" XH is the ticket. I always prefer to pull straight down when using suicks and bobbie baits.
chuckski
Posted 12/5/2021 10:27 PM (#999510 - in reply to #999427)

One more point we use our reels not just our rods for action. (unlike the old days of 70's and before)
bobbiebaitbob
Posted 12/7/2021 8:47 PM (#999549 - in reply to #999427)

I prefer a shorter stiffer rod for jerk baits. It's easier to get those glide baits going side to side and with a snap some up and down mixed in. St. Croix's Legend Tournament 7'6" Extra Heavy is named "the jerk" just for that reason. Can't go wrong with any 7'6" XH in my opinion.
sworrall
Posted 12/7/2021 9:24 PM (#999550 - in reply to #999427)

I use a TI 7'6" H for Suicks, gliders, and the like.
EllusiveGoose
Posted 12/8/2021 7:10 PM (#999560 - in reply to #999427)

My issue with st croix legend tournament rods is that the full cork handles are way to short for me, I have a hard time with anything shorter then 18”
I’d be willing to invest in a custom st croix or another Thorne predator XH but want to make sure I actually like a shorter rod first.
Does the TI 7’6” H have a palm style reel seat or a standard type and what length cork handle does it have.
Also another question, do you guys hold the reel seat/palm the reel or do you hold the front cork when working jerkbaits and glide baits?
EllusiveGoose
Posted 12/8/2021 8:21 PM (#999561 - in reply to #999427)

I was considering trying a 8’ H shield rod, it has the handle length and a palm reel seat. Any thoughts on this rod? My buddy has a XH 9’ and he really likes it for big stuff.
sworrall
Posted 12/9/2021 7:53 AM (#999564 - in reply to #999561)

I don't like a palming reel seat on a jerk bait rod. I'm using the reel and rod in concert to move the lure, and need to be able to adjust forward with hand position. I hold the reel with 2 to 3 fingers forward, never the front grip on the rod, and for good reason. When that far forward you are in front of the balance point of the rod weakening the hook set significantly.

Pretty much any rod length will work, but the best for me is between 7.5' and 8' so wrist/reel work is easier.

VIDEO

Ranger
Posted 12/9/2021 1:09 PM (#999571 - in reply to #999427)

I can't imagine working a glider, Suick or twitching a weighted-to-suspend crank (Grandma/Jake) without being able to snap the rod tip straight down. And I don't want to slap the water each time so my rod has to be short enough to pull that technique off and stay quiet. So, the closer the soles of my feet are to the surface of the water, the shorter the rod.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/9/2021 4:48 PM (#999572 - in reply to #999571)

^this
Specific length depends on how tall you are and how high your boat sits in the water, but I find it very difficult to work jerkbaits effectively with a rod that is too long. Some guys can do the rod-to-the-side thing, but for me a shorter stiffer rod (and a wire leader) makes all the difference in the world. Using a long MH rod I feel like I'm just fumbling around and struggling to get the lure to do what its supposed to do.
twofishy4u
Posted 12/10/2021 9:50 PM (#999590 - in reply to #999427)

ok so ti 7'6" xh is what I will build mine on. Recommendations for rear grip length.. 13-15 inches?
North of 8
Posted 12/11/2021 7:10 AM (#999591 - in reply to #999590)

twofishy4u - 12/10/2021 9:50 PM

ok so ti 7'6" xh is what I will build mine on. Recommendations for rear grip length.. 13-15 inches?

I think this is a matter of personal preference. I really like my 7'6" XH for jerk baits, wtd, and gliders. When working a lure the handle is not an issue but the fact that it is several inches shorter than my other rods is something I notice when casting, just doesn't feel the same. One of my projects for this winter is to extend the handle a couple inches. It casts fine, works fine but I want it to feel the same as others when casting.
ToddM
Posted 12/11/2021 7:33 AM (#999592 - in reply to #999427)

It comes down to your personal mechanics. Some people can't work those baits with a longer rod. I know some people who don't have the mechanics to work them at all. I too work gliders and and jerks with a 9' rod and the rod going across my body. My small boat is 14'. If you are right handed the rod is pointed to the rear of the boat working from the starboard side. Opposite if you are left handed. This is fine if you are fishing alone. With another person the rod and lure is in the zone of your partner. When I have someone else with me, out of courtesy I run an 8ft or a 7'6" rod.
twofishy4u
Posted 12/12/2021 12:25 PM (#999609 - in reply to #999591)

North of 8 - 12/11/2021 7:10 AM

twofishy4u - 12/10/2021 9:50 PM

I think this is a matter of personal preference. I really like my 7'6" XH for jerk baits, wtd, and gliders. When working a lure the handle is not an issue but the fact that it is several inches shorter than my other rods is something I notice when casting, just doesn't feel the same. One of my projects for this winter is to extend the handle a couple inches. It casts fine, works fine but I want it to feel the same as others when casting.

I'm going to build my own with there blank. Thinking there stock rod with the 13" grip is too short. 14-16" is pretty normal for my rods
EllusiveGoose
Posted 12/12/2021 7:19 PM (#999612 - in reply to #999427)

Thanks for all the advice guys
esoxone
Posted 12/19/2021 9:06 AM (#999785 - in reply to #999590)

twofishy4u ,

the length of the back grip must be related to and / or equal to the length of your forearm.

esoxone
esoxone
Posted 12/19/2021 9:12 AM (#999786 - in reply to #999427)

Ellusive Goose,
take a blank and build your own made-to-measure rod: this is the best way to go (you can choose the length of the handle that suits your needs, the reel seat and rings you prefer, etc.).

esoxone
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)