Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Upgrade to I Pilot Link from Regular I Pilot

Reply New post
Message Subject: Upgrade to I Pilot Link from Regular I Pilot
dward
Posted 10/18/2021 10:14 PM (#996564)
Subject: Upgrade to I Pilot Link from Regular I Pilot

I bought a new Skeeter MX1825 4 years ago and felt like i put on most bells/whistles, but at the time once i crossed over a certain $ threshold, i elected to skip the Link and opt for regular I Pilot i was used to with my previous boat.

I have an Ulterra Trolling Motor, Hummingbird Helix 9 at bow and Hummingbird Helix 10 at console.

I think at the time they said it was like an extra $600 when they were building the boat. Now 4 years later, wish i had spent the $ and just one it.

So for those who have made the switch or know about it, how much will it cost me to convert it over?

Cost of Materials - i think i saw $1200, but that seems awfully expensive!! is that correct?

Cost of Labor- i'm not going to do it myself, want it done right, what can i expect this to cost? 3-4 hours of labor maybe at shop rate? ... $400 ish?

any other feedback or suggestions from those who have gone this route.. i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Edited by dward 10/18/2021 10:15 PM
Fishysam
Posted 10/22/2021 6:01 PM (#997671 - in reply to #996564)
Subject: Re: Upgrade to I Pilot Link from Regular I Pilot

I bet the cheapest way to get it done is to sell your motor and buy a new one win win less expensive and new motor.

But it's very simple to swap the components around
dward
Posted 10/23/2021 12:05 AM (#997686 - in reply to #997671)

Are you kidding me! Holy balls.......
North of 8
Posted 10/23/2021 9:44 AM (#997692 - in reply to #997686)

The one thing I would wonder about is getting parts that contain chips right now. I don't think it would be cheaper to sell existing motor and get a new one, but it might be a lot easier depending on availability. I am basing that on what I saw when I was getting a new Ulterra with I-Pilot link and a Humminbird with Mega SI/DI early this spring. Surprisingly, the Ulterra was easy for the dealer, the Humminbird was the challenge.
jlooney
Posted 10/27/2021 9:03 PM (#997792 - in reply to #996564)
Subject: RE: Upgrade to I Pilot Link from Regular I Pilot

My new boat didn't offer iPilot Link so when it came in from the dealer I ordered the upgrade directly from Minnkota. Just call them with your current unit's serial / model # and they can tell you what you'll need to upgrade it. You can also find it much cheaper on line from places like this: https://northlandmarine.com/products/minn-kota-rt-sp-to-bt-ipilot-up...

Just make sure you have confirmed the kit fits your existing iPilot. You can find videos on Youtube on how to swap it out, its really not that hard.
jlooney
Posted 10/27/2021 9:08 PM (#997793 - in reply to #996564)

As an FYI, a big portion of the cost is the upgraded, touch screen Link remote - the regular iPilot remote does not work with Link, so I got a bluetooth micro remote for $99 to use as a backup. You can also use your phone and/or your HB units.

https://mk.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/31596-474044/Minn-Kota-i-Pilot...

Edited by jlooney 10/27/2021 9:10 PM
dward
Posted 11/24/2021 3:24 PM (#999304 - in reply to #997793)

again, didn't get quite the answers i was looking for on this topic, but i have spoken to two shops now and have a good idea on pricing to convert it over... and no - not quite as expensive as starting all over with a new trolling motor... especially when my ulterra and hummingbirds are just 4 seasons old.

Like i said, i know it was a $600 cost when i built the boat... but at that time i hit a price point that i didn't want to exceed at that point and this to me was a luxury and not a necessity ... but now today to covert over it will be about $1,300.

$500 link head
$275 Five Port Box
$175 Cables
$350 Labor if i didn't do it myself........

Figured anyone else interested in this type of upgrade would appreciate some insight
danmuskyman
Posted 2/22/2022 4:05 PM (#1002740 - in reply to #996564)

Had link on my last boat and honestly the only feature I really used was deploying my Ulterra from my helix units. Never took the time to use follow the contour or anything. Have a terrova with i-Pilot on the boat now and don’t really miss the link
TCESOX
Posted 2/22/2022 4:47 PM (#1002742 - in reply to #1002740)

danmuskyman - 2/22/2022 4:05 PM

Had link on my last boat and honestly the only feature I really used was deploying my Ulterra from my helix units. Never took the time to use follow the contour or anything. Have a terrova with i-Pilot on the boat now and don’t really miss the link

To me, the follow the contour, is worth it all by itself. First time I used it, I couldn't believe it. Felt like a guide was steering the boat for me. All I did was fish.
buck16on
Posted 3/9/2022 4:56 AM (#1003329 - in reply to #996564)
Subject: RE: Upgrade to I Pilot Link from Regular I Pilot

I have I-Pilot Link with a Terrova 24 volt bow mount, Helix 9 mega chirp SI GPS Gn3, 959 DI combo, ethernet box, 360 and mega live one boat network on the bow of my boat. The whole way point, spot lock, follow the contour, system has put a lot more fish in my boat casting for muskies. It also makes casting easier and more fun.
CincySkeez
Posted 3/9/2022 10:14 AM (#1003339 - in reply to #1003329)

It's wierd, I use my own recorded tracks more than I use follow contour.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)