Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trolling Motor Maintenance

Reply New post
Message Subject: Trolling Motor Maintenance
North of 8
Posted 7/22/2021 10:49 AM (#982515)
Subject: Trolling Motor Maintenance

I got a new Ulterra this spring and I am guessing because of my registration, have had some e-mails from Minn Kota. One thing I found interesting is that they recommend removing the prop after every use, checking to make sure no weeds, line, etc. are wrapped around the shaft. I have done this a few times a year but not every use. Do most people actually take that step? My boat is on a lift most of the year, so getting at the prop nut requires a little bit of gymnastics but can certainly be done. Just curious what others are doing.
RyanJoz
Posted 7/22/2021 12:04 PM (#982520 - in reply to #982515)
Subject: Re: Trolling Motor Maintenance

If you read your manual for your outboard, it says the same thing. I check several times a season, but if I hear strange noises, I pull the prop. This schedule would also depend on where you are fishing. Large reservoirs that are deep, I would say no need unless you get up shallow a lot. LSC, I would probably not check all year.
North of 8
Posted 7/22/2021 12:07 PM (#982521 - in reply to #982520)

RyanJoz - 7/22/2021 12:04 PM

If you read your manual for your outboard, it says the same thing. I check several times a season, but if I hear strange noises, I pull the prop. This schedule would also depend on where you are fishing. Large reservoirs that are deep, I would say no need unless you get up shallow a lot. LSC, I would probably not check all year.

I live on a shallow chain, so will be checking it much more often than I have in the past. Really like the Ulterra, but don't want to be buying a new one any time soon.
vegas492
Posted 7/23/2021 8:32 AM (#982537 - in reply to #982515)

This is my second year with the Ulterra.
First year it was flawless. This year it started making some noise and the head would shake when on 5-8 power.
I took off the prop, nothing to remove.
Talked to a dealer (MW Marine/Rob), and he said to try spraying some WD40 onto a paper towel, then clean the neck of the trolling motor. Namely the rubber belt.
So I did that. Worked like a charm. He said that he does this every time out. It only take a few seconds, so I'm getting into the habit of doing that. Only I didn't have WD40, so I used TriFlow.
TCESOX
Posted 7/27/2021 6:39 PM (#982662 - in reply to #982537)

vegas492 - 7/23/2021 8:32 AM

This is my second year with the Ulterra.
First year it was flawless. This year it started making some noise and the head would shake when on 5-8 power.
I took off the prop, nothing to remove.
Talked to a dealer (MW Marine/Rob), and he said to try spraying some WD40 onto a paper towel, then clean the neck of the trolling motor. Namely the rubber belt.
So I did that. Worked like a charm. He said that he does this every time out. It only take a few seconds, so I'm getting into the habit of doing that. Only I didn't have WD40, so I used TriFlow.

Thanks for posting this. I just recently installed an Ulterra and connected it to my two Helix units. I've only had a chance to get out a couple times to get familiar with it, so I'm sure this will save me a frustrating troubleshoot in the future.

Like the Ulterra, the Power Drive that it is replacing, also recommended checking the prop every time, which I rarely did, unless I had been weed whacking with it. I think with the coin I dropped on the Ulterra, I will be a little more diligent about checking it.
chimes_ts
Posted 7/27/2021 10:28 PM (#982665 - in reply to #982515)

"WD40 onto a paper towel, then clean the neck of the trolling motor." Noted on this trick. Thanks man!
vegas492
Posted 7/28/2021 8:55 AM (#982672 - in reply to #982515)

You are welcome for the "trick"! Wish I had thought of it myself, but it came to me from Rob at MW Marine.
Been a little hot where I'm at, and the boat sits in the garage, so I'm taking a little Tri Flow to that thing once a week while it sits in the garage. Honestly takes about 30 seconds to do it. Spray a little onto a paper tower, slide towel over one side of the belt, then respray the paper towel and do the other side. It's gotta fall under "the least I can do" to make sure my expensive trolling motor works right!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)