Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Starter, solenoid or key contact issue?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Starter, solenoid or key contact issue?
muskyhunter34
Posted 6/28/2021 9:24 AM (#981948)
Subject: Starter, solenoid or key contact issue?

Hello Gang,

2004 Johnson 9.9 4 Stroke electric start (J10ELR4SR).

Intermittently, I go to start, hit the key and engine does nothing. I do hear a click which I believe to be the solenoid getting power.

There are a few YouTube videos on how to test voltage across solenoid and to starter. Looking to see if anyone with this motor has had similar problems or insight. I do not hear the starter spinning, just hearing that click. Like I said it is intermittent, so I am leaning towards the solenoid, but this is out of my wheelhouse.

Any input is appreciated, the guys on here have been great in the past.

Looking for a systematic diagnostic approach to troubleshoot.

Thanks, and Sticky Hooks……

Rob
kjgmh
Posted 6/28/2021 11:02 AM (#981951 - in reply to #981948)
Subject: Re: Starter, solenoid or key contact issue?

First thing is to check is all electrical connections. Take battery cables off, clean them and tighten. Check connections of battery cables on motor side. Check connections on solenoid and starter.
muskyhunter34
Posted 6/29/2021 1:49 PM (#981973 - in reply to #981951)

Thanks for the advise. Makes complete sense to check the low hanging fruit first. Thanks, Rob
North of 8
Posted 6/29/2021 2:22 PM (#981975 - in reply to #981973)

Good advice. Last year went to take out our pontoon for a ride and it wouldn't start, just wasn't turning over right. Checked the battery connection and the positive cable had become just a tad loose. Tightened and it started fine. First time I ever had trouble with the motor and it was that simple issue.
tenthousandand1
Posted 6/29/2021 5:41 PM (#981985 - in reply to #981948)

agree with the connections. Then I'd look at whether the starter gear is gummed up. Sometimes the grease and dirt can create a lot of friction which prevents the gear from turning properly. Happened to me for a whole season before a good mechanic pointed it out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)