Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> O.K....I'M stumped!! Johnson 8hp 4 stroke.

Reply New post
Message Subject: O.K....I'M stumped!! Johnson 8hp 4 stroke.
VMS
Posted 6/19/2021 3:22 PM (#980766)
Subject: O.K....I'M stumped!! Johnson 8hp 4 stroke.

Hiya!!

I'm completely stumped at the moment..... My kicker is not running correctly even while on the muffs...

Had a tough time getting the motor started this year. Rebuilt the carb, checked and cleaned the fuel pump, and got it going...but would not run well. Took it out and it would not come up to power, although it idled just fine.

Usually an issue like this is carb related, so I bought a rebuild kit, rebuilt the carb again....tested on muffs...same issue (will not come up to high speed like it should...only to probably about half the rpm it is supposed to and sputtered)

Replaced the plugs....no change.

Cleaned the breather system (had oil in it) no change.

Checked compression on both cylinders: 92 and 95, so all is decent there...

I'm not sure where to go from here. I don't believe this engine has the ability to be timed using a timing light, so I am completely stumped as to what else this could be.

The only other thing I can think of is a coil going bad. So...question on that....is there a way to test it? Usually when a coil goes bad, the motor will not run as it can only fire on one cylinder... Motor idles just fine...just wont come up to speed.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Figured I'd post it here to see if anyone has had an issue such as this before with a 4 stroke engine.

Thanks everyone!!

Steve

Edited by VMS 6/19/2021 3:27 PM
North of 8
Posted 6/19/2021 3:37 PM (#980767 - in reply to #980766)
Subject: Re: O.K....I'M stumped!! Johnson 8hp 4 stroke.

This is a real long shot but by chance is there a soft rubber fuel line anywhere in the fuel system? It was a two stroke but a number of years ago my mercury 2stk acted similar but found the fuel line had gotten soft and when there was a vacuum created by the motor pulling more fuel, line would collapse on itself, choking off fuel.
VMS
Posted 6/19/2021 3:46 PM (#980768 - in reply to #980766)

fuel lines leading up to the motor are good. The main fuel line to the pump seemed fine but will give that a check as well.

The idea makes perfect sense to me as well my friend.. Thank you!!

Keep the suggestions coming everyone!! I've got to find the issue...

Brian Hoffies
Posted 6/19/2021 4:15 PM (#980770 - in reply to #980768)

This has nothing to do with your situation. I'm sooo sick of trying to keep small gas motors running with this corn gas. I've been replacing all my gas stuff with battery operated. In fact I bought a Milwaukee batterty operated chain saw. Unbelievable the way the thing cuts. Who knows, maybe a decent electric outboard before I die.

Best of luck with the motor, I don't envy you.

Edited by Brian Hoffies 6/19/2021 4:16 PM
pklingen
Posted 6/19/2021 7:43 PM (#980772 - in reply to #980766)

sounds like a plugged internal exhaust port to me. had the same symptoms and that was the issue. good luck.....
VMS
Posted 6/19/2021 8:27 PM (#980773 - in reply to #980772)

Can you go into more detail on what you had to do my friend? I'm up for checking on it...how did you diagnose? How did you fix?

Thanks!!

Edited by VMS 6/19/2021 8:28 PM
pklingen
Posted 6/20/2021 7:34 PM (#980791 - in reply to #980766)

^^^^^
mechanic said he pulled the lower motor portion off and where the two exhaust ports came together to get to the prop portion it was plugged with carbon from many many many hours of trolling. he used some type of flexible rod or tool to remove the carbon buildup in the entire tube and tubes. it runs great now. as your problem, mine wouldn't rev up just idle and a little more. he said the exhaust had no where to go with the built up carbon blockage. hope that helps. i didn't watch him but he showed me the dirty stuff that came out. nasty stuff.

since then i have had leaf blowers that sit in the garage between uses and those mud bees will close off the exhaust port and then it doesn't run. that's the first thing i look at now!

Edited by pklingen 6/20/2021 7:39 PM
Masqui-ninja
Posted 6/20/2021 9:23 PM (#980797 - in reply to #980770)

Brian Hoffies - 6/19/2021 4:15 PM

This has nothing to do with your situation. I'm sooo sick of trying to keep small gas motors running with this corn gas. I've been replacing all my gas stuff with battery operated. In fact I bought a Milwaukee batterty operated chain saw. Unbelievable the way the thing cuts. Who knows, maybe a decent electric outboard before I die.

Best of luck with the motor, I don't envy you.

Definitely need to run non-oxy premium in everything except cars and trucks or you'll regret it. Some run unleaded July-September and then switch back to primo in the fall, for me it's not worth the risk.
VMS
Posted 6/21/2021 7:22 AM (#980806 - in reply to #980766)

E10 vs non-ethanol is not the issue here... I am looking for other things to check...please do not hijack the thread...

Thanks
RyanJoz
Posted 6/23/2021 9:55 PM (#981856 - in reply to #980766)

Evinrude coils are among the hottest in the industry. I ran a 50 hours in a coil with a broken plug wire nipple and didn’t know it. My old 15 ran until the plug had no tip and was like a surface gap plug.

Exhaust is most definitely plugged. Pull lower unit and look up in there. If it is like some of the evinrude motors, it could be melted plastic or built up with carbon. Typically the blockage is at the waterline or so.
ToddC
Posted 6/24/2021 7:47 AM (#981857 - in reply to #980766)

Steve I had an Evinrude 15 that was doing the same thing. It would start and idle just fine but then would bog down and not come to full power. It ended up being a coil issue. It was either a bad wire or bad coil, I can’t remember but once repaired it ran like a champ again. Good luck!
kjgmh
Posted 6/24/2021 9:27 AM (#981858 - in reply to #980766)

Do a leak down test, a compression test doesn't always show all of the issues on a 4 stroke.

Other spit ball ideas - is the timing advancing properly, sheared flywheel key, does choking it allow it to rev up higher?
VMS
Posted 6/25/2021 1:36 PM (#981892 - in reply to #980766)

I looked for timing, but didn't see anything for it...no marks on the flywheel nor anything to adjust there. That was my first thought to look at.

I am going to test the coil as that is the one piece that is quick and easy as well.

I did pull the breather plate off and it had oil in it...been doing that for years but figured that was due to me laying the motor down wrong when off the boat. Cleaned that all up but no change.

Will see what I can do for exhaust plugging... It has not been run very much at all so I don't suspect that to be the issue, but will definitely check it out.

Think I'm going to do a seafoam process as well...Blow a bunch of white smoke for a bit...I'm hopeful on this one, but not optimistic it will take care of things...
Chemi
Posted 6/25/2021 2:27 PM (#981896 - in reply to #980766)

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet:
Is there a clogged fuel filter somewhere?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)