Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> youtube/internet, good or bad for musky fishing?

Message Subject: youtube/internet, good or bad for musky fishing?
Dave T.
Posted 5/24/2021 9:06 AM (#980147)
Subject: youtube/internet, good or bad for musky fishing?

morning all, just wondered what you think on this. i think the internet def has its positives for fishing, not so sure on youtube. i fish a lot of smaller lakes and guys post videos and you may as well just put up the gps coordinates because soon after you cant find a place to park or fish.. maybe im just getting grumpy in my old age, and i love videos of fishing, but man, maybe try to hide the location please!

i dont know. it seems there are tons of musky fisherman now too! which is good for the sport, but not sure there are enough lakes around here to support em all..

anyway, the old man saying get off my grass rant is over, just curious what you all think..
jamesb
Posted 5/24/2021 9:28 AM (#980148 - in reply to #980147)
Subject: Re: youtube/internet, good or bad for musky fishing?

Everyone has a "secret lake or spot". Good chances though that your secret spot is also a thousand other people's spot.
Dave T.
Posted 5/24/2021 9:47 AM (#980149 - in reply to #980148)

jamesb - 5/24/2021 9:28 AM

Everyone has a "secret lake or spot". Good chances though that your secret spot is also a thousand other people's spot.

oh im sure, but i didnt say it was a secret spot, just a lake ive fished for a few years. and the pressure seemed to increase after some people started posting videos..

of course i'd like to keep it all to myself, i realize thats not going to happen, but all of these youtubers dont seem to realize that posting these videos might end up ruining their 'secret spot'.
Rob C
Posted 5/24/2021 10:17 AM (#980151 - in reply to #980147)

In my opinion its a win/lose situation.

Like you said, its good that the internet is bringing more people into the sport. More people means more money. More money means more fisheries that *should* be created and maintained.

On the other hand, videos and pictures definitely give away locations of fishing spots. I know of multiple YouTube channels and TV shows that have made shows on lakes I frequently fish, and on the same spots (one even showed the map)! Granted most of these areas are well known community spots, but it still adds more pressure to areas that can't handle it.

I think the only way to deal with this is just to have the DNR create more fisheries and maintain the ones we have now so that the pressure gets spread out. This idea is definitely not new, and has way too many silly barriers that we all know and groan about. Until then, people really ought to keep their spots, and especially "undiscovered" lakes out of the public eye as much as they can!

Edited by Rob C 5/24/2021 10:30 AM
raftman
Posted 5/24/2021 11:47 AM (#980156 - in reply to #980151)

I don’t always get it but it’s good. For whatever reason recording one’s self doing something and then posting it for everybody to watch keeps a generation of people engaged in the sport.
chuckski
Posted 5/24/2021 12:12 PM (#980158 - in reply to #980147)

I was at the dentist the other day and the girl cleaning my teeth was a native Colorado girl and we were talking about the days when it was cheap to live in Colorado and on your day off you could camp and fish almost anywhere. And the sky was blue. Now it's a place of half million dollar or more track houses and people everywhere and to go a lot of places you have to get reservation to get a camp sight or walk a trail for that matter. The sky is not that Colorado blue on the front range.
And when you go up north look how many places have a place on them! (wow that used to be a swamp) Less and less open places.

Dave T.
Posted 5/24/2021 12:32 PM (#980160 - in reply to #980147)

all great points.. and i know its inevitable. just be nice to not speed up the process by showing the world where ya are catching em! and fishing used to be nice cause you could get out and enjoy the peace and tranquility.

not how it is anymore unfortunately..
esoxaddict
Posted 5/24/2021 1:09 PM (#980161 - in reply to #980160)

I think there's something to be said for keeping small lakes quiet. The folks who are going to chase the "internet bite" instead of doing their own research probably aren't going to ruin much over the long term on larger waters. Once they realize the fish aren't jumping in the boat on Lake X they'll go back to the lakes they usually fish, throwing the "hot new bait" that's likely not that hot, and all will be what it once was.
sukrchukr
Posted 5/24/2021 1:52 PM (#980163 - in reply to #980147)

The issues I have is the handling. Ive seen muskies as small as 27" on a board...
why does a small fish like that need to be measured?? Does that youtuber just need more content? Just eyeball it and call it something close.... or do you even need to mention a length?? Ive seen the youtubers say "well, I turn in all my fish to Muskies Inc and its valuble info".... sure, but does it need to be shown on the channel?? People learn from watching those videos....and I think it might be teaching the wrong things to do.
Dave T.
Posted 5/24/2021 1:55 PM (#980164 - in reply to #980161)

esoxaddict - 5/24/2021 1:09 PM

I think there's something to be said for keeping small lakes quiet. The folks who are going to chase the "internet bite" instead of doing their own research probably aren't going to ruin much over the long term on larger waters. Once they realize the fish aren't jumping in the boat on Lake X they'll go back to the lakes they usually fish, throwing the "hot new bait" that's likely not that hot, and all will be what it once was.

i agree, shhh. this lake is just over a couple hundred acres, last time i was out there , im guessing at least 15 boats fishing musky.. but what can ya do...

im just selfish i guess.. at least the few guys i talked to were respectful.. except the guy that popped a nice one that i had raised twice 15 minutes earlier! bastages. :P
Dave T.
Posted 5/24/2021 1:57 PM (#980165 - in reply to #980163)

sukrchukr - 5/24/2021 1:52 PM

The issues I have is the handling. Ive seen muskies as small as 27" on a board...
why does a small fish like that need to be measured?? Does that youtuber just need more content? Just eyeball it and call it something close.... or do you even need to mention a length?? Ive seen the youtubers say "well, I turn in all my fish to Muskies Inc and its valuble info".... sure, but does it need to be shown on the channel?? People learn from watching those videos....and I think it might be teaching the wrong things to do.

totally agree with this as well, if its not your 1st musky, get it back in the water ASAP. but again, who are we to say? it does get a little upsetting though..

i know a bass guide down south, he does the same thing. lakes ive been fishing for decades, hes posting vids all over about them, and what do ya know, more people on my spots the last few years..
ToddM
Posted 5/24/2021 2:36 PM (#980167 - in reply to #980147)

I remember a video Eric Haataja put on his FB page fishing the oak creek plant. The fish are there or they are not. He was catching one after another. The comments? Not really comments tags, two and three at a time. By the weekend it was bumper boats. If you advertise what you are doing people will find it and share it pryamid style.
https://youtu.be/Hyxmj1Yf6Dk

Edited by ToddM 5/24/2021 2:38 PM
raftman
Posted 5/24/2021 2:51 PM (#980170 - in reply to #980167)

ToddM - 5/24/2021 2:36 PM

I remember a video Eric Haataja put on his FB page fishing the oak creek plant. The fish are there or they are not. He was catching one after another. The comments? Not really comments tags, two and three at a time. By the weekend it was bumper boats. If you advertise what you are doing people will find it and share it pryamid style.
https://youtu.be/Hyxmj1Yf6Dk

The surge of walleye fisherman on Geneva in the late fall and early winter has also been attributed to Haataja.
bbeaupre
Posted 5/24/2021 3:38 PM (#980173 - in reply to #980147)
Subject: RE: youtube/internet, good or bad for musky fishing?

Id say its good for the sport. It does suck when you see a spot turn "community" because It was featured online. I personally like the challenge/puzzle that is figuring out a body of water and what spots produce but there is a whole different group that just wants to post fish pics on instagram. Cant really fault them just not my thing
djwilliams
Posted 5/24/2021 4:23 PM (#980175 - in reply to #980147)

I got a different take on this. I love the internet and all the videos on Youtube and whatever else is out there, because the internet is like golf- it keeps lots more people busy and off the lakes.
sworrall
Posted 5/24/2021 4:41 PM (#980176 - in reply to #980163)

That's not social media's fault, it's some(not all, for sure) of the folks who make the videos you watch. Use the comment section or send them a message, keep it well-intentioned and non-confrontational, and educate. There's also more people on the water because of covid. Lots more.
sukrchukr
Posted 5/24/2021 8:48 PM (#980177 - in reply to #980176)

sworrall - 5/24/2021 4:41 PM

That's not social media's fault, it's some(not all, for sure) of the folks who make the videos you watch. Use the comment section or send them a message, keep it well-intentioned and non-confrontational, and educate. There's also more people on the water because of covid. Lots more.

youtube isnt a form of social media? The youtube superstars measuring EVERY fish that finds their net, IMO, isnt the greatest thing to be showing people watching these type vids looking to learn something.
As far as comments on those videos....yeah, there have been comments made, an opinion made in a respectful way...... only to be talked down to by the youtuber, called trolls and such things. Just b/c you have a GoPro and a youtube channel, you`re automatically a pro I guess...

Edited by sukrchukr 5/24/2021 9:00 PM
sworrall
Posted 5/24/2021 8:56 PM (#980178 - in reply to #980177)

sukrchukr - 5/24/2021 8:48 PM

sworrall - 5/24/2021 4:41 PM

youtube isnt a form of social media? The youtube superstars measuring EVERY fish that finds their net, IMO, isnt the greatest thing to be showing people watching these type vids looking to learn something.
As far as comments on those videos....yeah, there have been comments made, an opinion made in a respectful way...... only to be talked down to by the youtuber, called trolls and such things. Just b/c you have a GoPro and a youtube channel, you`re automatically a pro I guess...

Of course, YouTube is social media. I was simply suggesting to try to educate. It may be lost on the YouTuber (biting my tongue here) but it will not be on the general audience.
ChicagolandMusk
Posted 5/25/2021 7:00 AM (#980182 - in reply to #980147)

Social Media is great entertainment. Really good for the guides and folks in the industry. Think it hurts the weekend warriors / fairly hardcore non guides. Definitely sucks to have your fav lake or spot broadcasted to the world.
Dave T.
Posted 5/25/2021 9:50 AM (#980193 - in reply to #980173)
Subject: RE: youtube/internet, good or bad for musky fishing?

bbeaupre - 5/24/2021 3:38 PM

Id say its good for the sport. It does suck when you see a spot turn "community" because It was featured online. I personally like the challenge/puzzle that is figuring out a body of water and what spots produce but there is a whole different group that just wants to post fish pics on instagram. Cant really fault them just not my thing

i agree with this on larger bodies of water, but were only talking a couple hundred acre lakes, and i think that much pressure could harm the fishery.. and with that many boats its hard to find any spots to try, let alone new ones!
esoxaddict
Posted 5/25/2021 12:45 PM (#980198 - in reply to #980147)

Chasing the "Hot bite" on the internet is a fools errand. How many times have you seen an area "light up" for a day or an afternoon, only to find the fish and the bite gone like a fart in a windstorm the next day? And the next week, next season, next year... Spots cycle from season to season and year to year and even throughout the day. Until you understand seasonal migrations, movement of baitfish, and the characteristics that make your lake unique, watching someone on you tube catch a fish ain't gonna put one in your net.
ToddM
Posted 5/25/2021 1:03 PM (#980200 - in reply to #980198)

esoxaddict - 5/25/2021 12:45 PM

Chasing the "Hot bite" on the internet is a fools errand. How many times have you seen an area "light up" for a day or an afternoon, only to find the fish and the bite gone like a fart in a windstorm the next day? And the next week, next season, next year... Spots cycle from season to season and year to year and even throughout the day. Until you understand seasonal migrations, movement of baitfish, and the characteristics that make your lake unique, watching someone on you tube catch a fish ain't gonna put one in your net.

I would not say that for all bites. Indiana is still good but shadowed by LSC which is still good.
Dave T.
Posted 5/25/2021 1:56 PM (#980202 - in reply to #980147)

ToddM - 5/25/2021 1:04 PM

Dave T. - 5/25/2021 9:52 AM

and please dont turn this into a political post! i am so done with politics and all the division we have in the US right now.. another reason i like to fish, to get away from people!! :)

:)

ha, nope, ive hated people in general for decades, this recent nonsense just verified what i have thought for a longggg time.. :P
Dave T.
Posted 5/25/2021 1:58 PM (#980203 - in reply to #980198)

esoxaddict - 5/25/2021 12:45 PM

again, for most regular size musky lakes i'd agree, but this is a pond, not a lake, so there really isnt room for the extra pressure in my opinion..

but you are right about the bite, i've got nothing on this lake more than ive had success.. its musky fishing!
Gottagofast
Posted 5/25/2021 8:45 PM (#980211 - in reply to #980147)

I think it is bad. There is too many people as it is and adding more just means in general less parking spots, active fish etc... To go around
If you think more people out on the water will do anything but line manufacturers pockets I have a bridge to sell you.
sworrall
Posted 5/25/2021 9:16 PM (#980213 - in reply to #980211)

Gottagofast - 5/25/2021 8:45 PM

I think it is bad. There is too many people as it is and adding more just means in general less parking spots, active fish etc... To go around
If you think more people out on the water will do anything but line manufacturers pockets I have a bridge to sell you.[/QUOTE

https://www.statista.com/statistics/247669/fishing-license-holders-i...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1174479/fishing-industry-market-...

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/outdoors/6273564-More-peopl...
After absorbing all that,
You may not be considering the license fees that support the fisheries management, Excise taxes (look it up https://www.fws.gov/wsfrprograms/Subpages/AboutUs/ItemsTaxedJan2018....), tourism dollars supporting areas like the one I live in, hundreds of thousands of jobs the fishing industry supports, and the biggest thing...you and I are each are one portion of those statistics. Which learned to fish first? If I was first and I did so before the internet, do I have the right to dis you? Nope. As far as the manufacturers, are you using any of that gear? (rhetorical question)
esoxaddict
Posted 5/25/2021 10:04 PM (#980214 - in reply to #980211)

Gottagofast - 5/25/2021 8:45 PM

If you think more people out on the water will do anything but line manufacturers pockets I have a bridge to sell you.

'
Where is that bridge and how much do you want for it??

From where I sit, the only things sustaining muskie fishing are: 1. Demand, and 2. Money. It's a #*^@ed expensive fish to stock and maintain outside of it's natural habitat, and there's a lot of opposition to them even in their native range.

Ever sit in on a Muskies Inc. meeting? Ever gone to a show or a swap meet? Not to put too fine a point on it but... You got a bunch of old guys supporting these fisheries, and they've got a lot more money to spend than their younger counterparts. If we don't make one hell of an effort to bring more people, and more young people especially into this sport, there won't be ANY fish to go around.
Gottagofast
Posted 5/26/2021 7:02 AM (#980216 - in reply to #980147)

From where I stand I can't see what good the money is doing. Excise taxes have to be up with the amount of equipment in the average outdoorsman's collection, have you seen how much bigger and more expensive the average boat is? In Minnesota we passed the legacy amendment for more money to the resource (congress keeps trying to divert it), MN lottery money was originally for the same purpose, all MN license and registration went up a few years ago, boat landings are on average mor full the entire season with very few lag days. People who are out more spend more (excise tax). Boat landings keep having more no parking signs along the roads where overflow used to park.
While all of this is going on in Minnesota we keep loosing and not replacing fisheries staff. The number of projects they take on outside of walleye stocking are also down. With that in mind who wins from more people on a finite resource other than the people selling outdoor products?
North of 8
Posted 5/26/2021 7:07 AM (#980217 - in reply to #980216)

The money that comes to fishing from excise tax is not like a weekly paycheck. It takes time to work through the system, and be allocated. Public funds are subject to committees, hearings, etc. All those checks and balances that are not present in private business. To expect to see an impact from an increase in excise tax paid in 2020 in early 2021 is not realistic.
fishdawg
Posted 5/26/2021 7:07 AM (#980218 - in reply to #980147)

The amount information online regarding musky fishing is extraordinary. When I was learning to musky fish, I would go through the card catalogs of every library I could get to trying to find books on musky. Now information is every where and much of it is very good. The internet has greatly reduced the learning curve and has made the sport accessible to thousands.

That said, there are many who are willfully burning spots to get more views and more likes. If you going to post something, please go to some effort to protect the location. Am I asking too much?
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)