Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Remote vs Foot Pedal

Reply New post
Message Subject: Remote vs Foot Pedal
North of 8
Posted 4/16/2021 9:20 AM (#978104)
Subject: Remote vs Foot Pedal

Just got an Ulterra installed on my boat and this will be the first time I have the remote option. I was a little surprised when the guy at the place where I got it said he has not used a foot pedal in 12 years, ever since he got his first remote.

It does seem like a really nice tool and would allow me to run boat from the back, giving guests use of the front deck. Just curious which control others use, pedal or remote?
miket55
Posted 4/16/2021 9:35 AM (#978105 - in reply to #978104)
Subject: Re: Remote vs Foot Pedal

Pedal up front, remote while in back. I do use the "cruise control" feature from both ends just because it's easier then toeing the speed control knob.

Edited by miket55 4/16/2021 9:37 AM
phselect
Posted 4/16/2021 9:35 AM (#978106 - in reply to #978104)

I tried casting double cowgirls one-handed. Didn't work out so well. I can see if you're bouncing a jig or pulling some sort of live bait rig. Was the guy at the place a muskie guy?
jasonvkop
Posted 4/16/2021 9:50 AM (#978110 - in reply to #978104)

I still use the foot pedal 99% of the time. As phselect said, it's kind of hard to fish with only 1 hand if the other one is on the remote. I use the remote when a fish is in the net, when I'm sucker fishing (setting lines or it's too cold to cast), or when I'm packing up at the end of the day. It makes me cringe when I see videos of people stopping their retrieve to grab the remote and adjust the boat position. Doing that could have just cost that person a fish.
North of 8
Posted 4/16/2021 9:54 AM (#978111 - in reply to #978110)

Thanks for the input. The one thought I had was when I figure out how to use the Link and contour follow feature, I could just set it and would not need to make a lot of adjustments. But, yes, I think in a lot of situations, I would still want to use the foot pedal.
Pepper
Posted 4/16/2021 9:56 AM (#978112 - in reply to #978104)

I find it hard to cast and use the remote. Trolling or walleye f it shiny I used the remote or rum it off the Hummin bird
stdevos
Posted 4/16/2021 12:41 PM (#978123 - in reply to #978104)

Safe to assume the original reason for making foot pedals work with trolling motors was because your hands are busy fishing. The remote is just that, to be used when you're not fishing in the bow. Since you got the Ulterra, keep the remote by the console so you can immediately deploying the motor after you kill the outboard and nice versa. Otherwise, it makes a good paperweight or on those days when too cold to cast or windy or panfishing with kids. The follow the contour sounds good in theory, but it would only work on spots where lake map is actually accurate and even then, there are a hundred reasons why you'd want to NOT have it on autopilot. Just using the foot pedal is second nature, doesn't make sense to mix and match how you use it spot to spot.
North of 8
Posted 4/16/2021 4:03 PM (#978132 - in reply to #978123)

Ok, follow up question. I fish by myself most of the time and when I net fish, I typically am off the casting deck and the lower part of the deck. I am thinking I would want to keep the remote on me so that I can easily hit the spot lock, something I have not had before. Or do folks just step on spot lock after hooking a fish?

The other thing is that I have had power drives for the last 15 years, so this pedal is quite a bit different than what I am used to. Lot more features.

Edited by North of 8 4/16/2021 4:05 PM
miket55
Posted 4/16/2021 9:24 PM (#978144 - in reply to #978104)

I found myself fooling with the remote a lot less than I thought I would, and only between casts, not necessarily each cast.

Follow the contour works off the map, not the actual sonar readings..

I also find the autopilot feature equally useful with the foot pedal or remote..

I tend not to use the spot lock while fighting a fish, unless wind and/or current dictate.

Edited by miket55 4/16/2021 10:18 PM
7ovr50
Posted 4/17/2021 6:37 AM (#978150 - in reply to #978104)

I engage spot lock after netting my fish to hold boat position. You have a track system on the locator that can bring you back on the spot after the release. Or set a way point (MOB is what we use if it s windy) Engaging spot lock while fighting a fish is risky. Spot lock may engage when the fish is under the boat or swimming near the bow resulting in your line being cut by the trolling motor prop. It happens. I speak from experience!

Edited by 7ovr50 4/17/2021 6:43 AM
colinj8899
Posted 4/17/2021 6:45 AM (#978152 - in reply to #978104)

I bought a boat about 4 years ago and the guy I bought it from put a Powerdrive v2 on it for me. He sold me a lot of mis information. Mine only has a remote but promised me I could do this, this and this to it. Before I became knowledgeable on the technology I just let it all slide. So yeah I run my trolling motor with a remote and remote only. Its not fun especially on windy days. But I can tell you this, I have learned to do a lot of things with one hand. Jerkbaits and pull pause baits can be tough days with a remote. I will be upgrading in the next year to something different. But I can see how having a foot pedal and remote would be good to have. But as far just a remote I would never recommend it to someone who only casts lures.
North of 8
Posted 4/17/2021 7:01 AM (#978153 - in reply to #978150)

7ovr50 - 4/17/2021 6:37 AM

I engage spot lock after netting my fish to hold boat position. You have a track system on the locator that can bring you back on the spot after the release. Or set a way point (MOB is what we use if it s windy) Engaging spot lock while fighting a fish is risky. Spot lock may engage when the fish is under the boat or swimming near the bow resulting in your line being cut by the trolling motor prop. It happens. I speak from experience!

Thanks, that was what I was thinking about, engaging the spot lock after netting a fish.
Fishing by myself, if there is any wind, it would be one less thing to be concerned about while unhooking and releasing a fish.
danlaboucane
Posted 4/17/2021 10:30 AM (#978163 - in reply to #978104)

i do have a pedal and remote with terrova (same pedal size as ulterra ), i cast a lot and use both but i would like better a smaller pedal like power drive with just right-left power on -off , in my case the pedal is too long and in the way between seat post and boat
North of 8
Posted 4/17/2021 12:51 PM (#978171 - in reply to #978163)

danlaboucane - 4/17/2021 10:30 AM

i do have a pedal and remote with terrova (same pedal size as ulterra ), i cast a lot and use both but i would like better a smaller pedal like power drive with just right-left power on -off , in my case the pedal is too long and in the way between seat post and boat

Hopefully I will get used to the pedal but my first thought in checking it out was 'how am I going to hit the right thing when I have boots on in the fall?'. By then I hope I will be acclimated.
Vilas15
Posted 4/17/2021 1:57 PM (#978173 - in reply to #978171)

I use a terrova and was remote only for a few years. The #*^@ autopilot feature likes to slowly turn so im always having to adjust it. Ive recently figured out the best way for me to fish is set it to autopilot and adjust the speed i want on the remote. Then i have the footpedal out to adjust direction with a tap while im fishing. If i need to change speed when the wind kicks up i just do it between casts on the remote. Cant stand the foot speed dial. My foot pedal is electric drive so its got a long enough cord i can still use it from the back of the boat.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 4/19/2021 6:38 AM (#978224 - in reply to #978173)

Vilas15 - 4/17/2021 1:57 PM

I use a terrova and was remote only for a few years. The #*^@ autopilot feature likes to slowly turn so im always having to adjust it.

Sounds like you may be in the factory set Advanced Autopilot mode? Legacy mode works much better imo.
North of 8
Posted 4/19/2021 6:59 AM (#978225 - in reply to #978224)

Took the boat out yesterday and did what the guy at Northland Marine told me to do, played with the Ulterra and Helix Mega. Remote is quite the device, with the screen showing a lot of information, like distance from spot with spot lock on, speed, etc. And the foot pedal was much easier to use than I feared. I was very impressed with the images in sonar/down imaging.
I do expect that I may hear about my voyage from a couple of my neighbors. To calibrate the heading sensor, you need to go into settings, hit the correct button than complete two complete circles (which actually show up on the remote). Didn't realize until later that a couple neighbors were helping the bar and grill on the lake where I live put in a new dock while I was doing that. They both have a good sense of humor.

ToddM
Posted 4/19/2021 7:16 AM (#978226 - in reply to #978104)

I ran a boat once with a remote and no foot pedal. It was a windy fall weekend. I am the type that makes course corrections during.a cast to keep the boat from being out of position. I can tell you for certain not having the foot pedal cost me fish.
North of 8
Posted 4/19/2021 11:33 AM (#978232 - in reply to #978226)

ToddM - 4/19/2021 7:16 AM

I ran a boat once with a remote and no foot pedal. It was a windy fall weekend. I am the type that makes course corrections during.a cast to keep the boat from being out of position. I can tell you for certain not having the foot pedal cost me fish.

After playing with the unit yesterday, I realized the foot pedal really is not that complex and will certainly use it when casting, unless I want to have a guest on the front deck.
jase2
Posted 4/20/2021 6:22 AM (#978256 - in reply to #978104)

I really did not think I would like the remote. However, I have got to where I make big corrections between casts using the remote and then small corrections during the cast using the foot pedal. The ability to use the pedal to make in-cast corrections for me is a game changer. I could not use the remote only. However, the functions of the remote, like spot lock, cruise, speed change, are so much easier on the remote than making those same adjustments on the pedal. I have really learned to use and depend on both methods together. When I switched from the old style cable pedal, I never thought I would be using the system this way, but it works great for me.
kap
Posted 4/26/2021 7:37 AM (#979409 - in reply to #978104)

Remote can work muskie fishing, if you put motor on heading lock and adjust in between casts. a have firends that fish this way.
ToddM
Posted 4/26/2021 2:14 PM (#979426 - in reply to #979409)

kap - 4/26/2021 7:37 AM

Remote can work muskie fishing, if you put motor on heading lock and adjust in between casts. a have firends that fish this way.

On a calm day or throwing bucktail yes. If it's windy and throwing gliders or jerks the boat will be completely out of position by the end of a cast.
wavridr
Posted 4/28/2021 10:23 AM (#979506 - in reply to #979426)

I have an ultera and use both the remote and foot pedal. I do not use the heel/toe function on the pedal at all. I mainly am in continuous mode and make steering corrections with the left/right switches. Do use the remote at times to set speed, and spot lock.
danlaboucane
Posted 4/28/2021 7:04 PM (#979520 - in reply to #978104)

use both the remote and foot pedal. I do not use the heel/toe function on the pedal at all. I mainly am in continuous mode and make steering corrections with the left/right switches. Do use the remote at times to set speed, and spot lock.

exactly like you ! i would love a pedal without that part since in my case its too long and in the way , i wonder if the pedal could be modified ??? any ideas ?
wavridr
Posted 4/28/2021 8:10 PM (#979521 - in reply to #979520)

danlaboucane - 4/28/2021 7:04 PM

use both the remote and foot pedal. I do not use the heel/toe function on the pedal at all. I mainly am in continuous mode and make steering corrections with the left/right switches. Do use the remote at times to set speed, and spot lock.

exactly like you ! i would love a pedal without that part since in my case its too long and in the way , i wonder if the pedal could be modified ??? any ideas ?

Exactly!!!!
RLSea
Posted 4/28/2021 8:16 PM (#979522 - in reply to #979521)

wavridr - 4/28/2021 8:10 PM

Exactly!!!!

X3
MstormC
Posted 4/29/2021 11:24 AM (#979530 - in reply to #979522)

RLSea - 4/28/2021 8:16 PM

wavridr - 4/28/2021 8:10 PM

Exactly!!!!

X3

X4
7ovr50
Posted 4/29/2021 11:56 AM (#979531 - in reply to #978104)

Pedal first choice for me. Remote when vertical jigging structure
danlaboucane
Posted 4/29/2021 7:07 PM (#979541 - in reply to #979531)

i may have found another pedal for $150 so if it pans out i will try to cut the toe/heel part ! i will let you know what happens .
mcnewbski
Posted 4/29/2021 7:16 PM (#979542 - in reply to #979541)

danlaboucane - 4/29/2021 8:07 PM

i may have found another pedal for $150 so if it pans out i will try to cut the toe/heel part ! i will let you know what happens .

I'll definitely check back for the results. I agree that the heel/toe steering option makes the pedal annoyingly large. Give me something more the size of a powerdrive pedal!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)