Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> best place to mount the Minnkota heading sensor

Reply New post
Message Subject: best place to mount the Minnkota heading sensor
moondog
Posted 4/3/2021 9:48 PM (#977686)
Subject: best place to mount the Minnkota heading sensor

I Just bought a new Terrova trolling motor. Just wondering where the best spot is to mount the white heading sensor? Up close by the trolling motor or farther away in the back of the boat? and does it matter what side of the boat it is mounted on? any help would be great. thanks
pklingen
Posted 4/4/2021 5:57 PM (#977699 - in reply to #977686)
Subject: Re: best place to mount the Minnkota heading sensor

its supposed to be able to be visually in-line with each other unobstructed.
RLSea
Posted 4/4/2021 8:15 PM (#977700 - in reply to #977686)

The heading sensor gps is best mounted in the bow by the trolling motor for accuracy. Also since it's best to have your gps as close to the transducer as possible when you are recording waypoints, lots of guys have a 2nd one at the stern as well near the the transducer there.
Fishysam
Posted 4/7/2021 11:24 AM (#977744 - in reply to #977686)

I won't be installing any more unless they contribute more than they do now. Currently the only thing it does is let you jog 5' left/right/front/back while on spot lock. That's all it does. And that is not worth it to me, especially since if I want to jog it's like 6 taps left aka the motor thinks it's 30' off so it rips up to power 10 trying to dump you out of the boat. This is loud and over shoots, I'd just as well take manual controls and take it a few feet and re-engage spot lock

Edited by Fishysam 4/7/2021 11:26 AM
mcnewbski
Posted 4/7/2021 12:00 PM (#977745 - in reply to #977744)

I have no reason to think you're wrong, but this is the first I've heard this. Can anyone confirm this? I believed (clearly I may be wrong) that the sensor had more functions than just this. No offence.
drburke182
Posted 4/7/2021 12:21 PM (#977747 - in reply to #977686)

Best place to mount is a clear view of sky, with-in 6' of trolling motor head for best bluetooth communication between the two devices. The puck will assist the trolling motor by providing a Magnetic compass signal, which is used for spot-lock as well as heading lock. Good luck, congrats on the new TM.

*Updated*
"This Bluetooth-enabled heading sensor contains a compass that detects your boat's heading and communicates it to your trolling motor to enable the Spot-Lock Jog feature, which lets you move your Spot-Lock location in 5 ft. increments in any direction."

It doesn't provide GPS, I was mistaken, what it does allow which is why I've installed it was for auto pilot. We noticed that while fishing with out it the boat wouldn't stay pointing in the correct direction. Once we added the puck it worked as intended. The puck is basically a compass inside a piece of white plastic that knows where North is, and which direction your boat is facing compared to Magnetic North.

Edited by drburke182 4/9/2021 10:40 AM
mcnewbski
Posted 4/7/2021 12:42 PM (#977748 - in reply to #977747)

The heading sensor puck isn't GPS.
Fishysam
Posted 4/7/2021 1:22 PM (#977750 - in reply to #977686)

The gps sensor is inside the top of the head, this is just a heading sensor. I was under the impression that the trolling motor would have more information at its disposal to make better decisions and do better but after using boat with and without it I can say there is no improvement. It's only function it to allow jog feature. No single person or minnkota will state it improves anything at all.
mcnewbski
Posted 4/7/2021 1:29 PM (#977753 - in reply to #977750)

That is very useful info, thanks Fishysam.

In terms of mounting position, I've watched youtube videos and read posts of people installing them inside rod lockers, other odd spots. I think it needs to be level (?) but doesn't need to be exposed to the sky or be line of sight with the motor (bluetooth connection).
mcnewbski
Posted 4/7/2021 1:37 PM (#977754 - in reply to #977686)

Fishysam, do you know if the puck has any effect on legacy vs advanced autopilot?
miket55
Posted 4/7/2021 5:28 PM (#977757 - in reply to #977686)

Don't forget to calibrate it.
Dave T.
Posted 4/7/2021 6:39 PM (#977759 - in reply to #977686)

i just read something from minn kota stating it does enhance spot lock and autopilot features.. hmm

so maybe i will install mine. i thought it was just for the jog feature as well.. and last time i used my spot lock, it didnt seem to be working as well as it had in the past... double hmmm
pklingen
Posted 4/7/2021 7:15 PM (#977761 - in reply to #977686)

mine works great without it. i'll jog by foot pedal and spotlock if need be. my AP works great without it. mines a 2017 and the puck is still in the original packaging in the box.

fishysam is dead on!
Fishysam
Posted 4/8/2021 10:52 AM (#977777 - in reply to #977686)

It is just a magnetic heading sensor it is simply to be installed on a flat surface, and by Bluetooth design it's best within 20' and line of sight, but it will still work inside a rod locker but why? Also yes minnkota will say it will enhance spot lock, because it lest you jog.

Legacy's ipilot and advanced ipilot are using the gps/ heading sensor in the trolling motor head. In theory the trolling motor could be better with more information to do a better job. But there is no proof so???
Dave T.
Posted 4/9/2021 10:22 AM (#977803 - in reply to #977777)

Fishysam - 4/8/2021 10:52 AM

It is just a magnetic heading sensor it is simply to be installed on a flat surface, and by Bluetooth design it's best within 20' and line of sight, but it will still work inside a rod locker but why? Also yes minnkota will say it will enhance spot lock, because it lest you jog.

Legacy's ipilot and advanced ipilot are using the gps/ heading sensor in the trolling motor head. In theory the trolling motor could be better with more information to do a better job. But there is no proof so???

its sooo confusing.. i took what i read is that it would improve spot locks accuracy, but i dunno.. i guess i can hook it up and just see for myself... i have too much #*#* hooked to my batteries already though!!
Fishysam
Posted 4/9/2021 1:20 PM (#977808 - in reply to #977686)

Hmm never thought of it I have my pick switched to the boats original wiring and I fish a small lake that I only use the trolling motor and do not use any other power. This was yesterday in fact and didn't notice any change.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)