Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Flyfishing: Which lake -- Menona, Wingra, or Waubesa?

Message Subject: Flyfishing: Which lake -- Menona, Wingra, or Waubesa?
eljefe
Posted 3/1/2021 4:01 PM (#976270)
Subject: Flyfishing: Which lake -- Menona, Wingra, or Waubesa?

howdy folks,

been fishing gear for musky all my life and been fishing flies for other freshwater for past 20. but, just starting on musky on the flu, i mean fly.

landed a few pike--one nice one--on my only fly outing yet. i'm not sure i even held the rod during that 50 second fight--just the line. interesting way to catch.

anywho, i never been to Menona, Wingra, or Waubesa, but wondering if anyone has thoughts about what might be best for a single angler targeting 'ski renting a tin can boat from whoever up there.

i'll take any advice on any of the above.

thanks!

Edited by eljefe 3/1/2021 4:32 PM
Cabbage Patch
Posted 3/1/2021 10:32 PM (#976290 - in reply to #976270)
Subject: RE: Flyfishing: Which lake -- Menona, Wingra, or Waubesa?

Wingra for sure. PM me We can talk ski on the fly.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 3/2/2021 9:46 AM (#976298 - in reply to #976290)

I guide quite a few fly anglers, you cant go wrong on any of those 3 lakes have done well on all of them with fly fishermen. Just depends on time of year, weather conditions and wind is a big factor on choice also. Biggest one I had a flyfishing client catch was 49.5"and that came from Waubesa. Had a client have a bigger one hooked on Monona but it blew his rod up (he was horsing it) and it got off.
You will have a hard time finding a boat rental on Monona and Waubesa. Wingra they do rent small row boats and kayaks but hours limited they open late and close early and are closed if bad weather or rain.
I really recommend using some wire at the end of your leader or you will get bit off-(seen it happen) a lot of fish here inhale the flies deep. John Bette that owns Stealth Tackle makes some really nice Musky leaders for Fly fishermen lots of my customers use them and really like them. Contact him he will make whatever you want.
Good luck,
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com

Edited by Jeff Hanson 3/2/2021 9:55 AM
eljefe
Posted 3/8/2021 1:47 PM (#976614 - in reply to #976298)

thanks for the good info, jeff. boat rental is a concern and might be the reason i pick one lake or another. i'm not married to these lakes either. just picking these b/c i won't have to do much research to find other musky lakes close to chicagoland.
ILESOX
Posted 3/13/2021 4:27 PM (#976861 - in reply to #976614)

id book a trip with jeff. I fished with him once, crap weather, and the muskies werent cooperative (i wanted to fish lake monona only at that time and i knew going in that it might be tough there) but still managed to catch a few big bass, and Jeff is a wealth of knowledge about the madison chain.
figure 8
Posted 3/15/2021 9:28 AM (#976938 - in reply to #976861)

X2 on hiring Jeff my dad and I hire him twice a year and always learn something new. we have caught a lot of fish with him also including my dads PB
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)