Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> RFID / PIT Tags

Message Subject: RFID / PIT Tags
pstrombe
Posted 2/28/2021 10:46 AM (#976196)
Subject: RFID / PIT Tags

After watching this mornings KOTV I'm curious as to how many midwest musky's carry PIT tags. I have a couple friends that breed sporting dogs and have RFID readers that I could borrow. If did di mange to get a number could you reference it. I suspect the don't handle to fish too much argument will come up as well.
Thoughts?
kapcoleo
Posted 2/28/2021 7:29 PM (#976236 - in reply to #976196)
Subject: RE: RFID / PIT Tags

All muskies in Iowa have a PIT tag and have for several years. They are inserted just before they are stocked. I have a reader as do other anglers and have sent tag numbers to the DNR on several fish I have released. This is a very valuable tool for them to evaluate growth rates,fish movement, survival rates ,etc
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/28/2021 10:08 PM (#976240 - in reply to #976196)
Subject: Re: RFID / PIT Tags

Vermilion fish have had them for a couple years now
North of 8
Posted 3/1/2021 11:03 AM (#976257 - in reply to #976196)

This morning my nephew texted me a photo of a radio transmitter he found in the 104# sturgeon his fiance speared. I was surprised a the size of it, had to be all of four inches long and over a half inch in diameter. The numbers on the device are very clear and he is hoping the DNR can find out some interesting data on the fish.
ToddM
Posted 3/1/2021 11:23 AM (#976259 - in reply to #976196)

FRV has purchased pit tags for the Lake Geneva Muskies.
TCESOX
Posted 3/1/2021 5:14 PM (#976274 - in reply to #976257)

North of 8 - 3/1/2021 11:03 AM

This morning my nephew texted me a photo of a radio transmitter he found in the 104# sturgeon his fiance speared. I was surprised a the size of it, had to be all of four inches long and over a half inch in diameter. The numbers on the device are very clear and he is hoping the DNR can find out some interesting data on the fish.

Our chapter has purchased some of these for the MN DNR, for fish in the St. Croix. They put them in many different species to study movement. There are dozens of receivers that are set throughout the St. Croix and Mississippi. It's amazing how far different fish will move. For muskies, some hardly move at all, some only move between a few places, and others roam all over the place, going down the Mississippi, through locks, and back. One of the white bass goes all up and down the St. Croix, up the Mississippi to the dam, passing through multiple locks, multiple times a week. I can just picture fish waiting at a lock, like workers in an office tower, waiting for an elevator.

Edited by TCESOX 3/1/2021 5:15 PM
miket55
Posted 3/1/2021 6:01 PM (#976281 - in reply to #976196)

PIT tags implanted in NC stockers..

Edited by miket55 3/1/2021 6:03 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments received_406148410116849.jpeg (110KB - 276 downloads)
North of 8
Posted 3/1/2021 6:06 PM (#976282 - in reply to #976274)

TCESOX - 3/1/2021 5:14 PM

Our chapter has purchased some of these for the MN DNR, for fish in the St. Croix. They put them in many different species to study movement. There are dozens of receivers that are set throughout the St. Croix and Mississippi. It's amazing how far different fish will move. For muskies, some hardly move at all, some only move between a few places, and others roam all over the place, going down the Mississippi, through locks, and back. One of the white bass goes all up and down the St. Croix, up the Mississippi to the dam, passing through multiple locks, multiple times a week. I can just picture fish waiting at a lock, like workers in an office tower, waiting for an elevator.

Learned later in the day that to encourage everyone to look for and return the radio transmitters, the names of all who do go into a drawing and the winner takes home $2,000 dollars. 18 transmitters have been returned, so in addition to a big sturgeon, she may get a big pay day. I think, but am not sure, the drawing may be sponsored by Sturgeon for Tomorrow.
TCESOX
Posted 3/1/2021 6:58 PM (#976283 - in reply to #976282)

North of 8 - 3/1/2021 6:06 PM

Learned later in the day that to encourage everyone to look for and return the radio transmitters, the names of all who do go into a drawing and the winner takes home $2,000 dollars. 18 transmitters have been returned, so in addition to a big sturgeon, she may get a big pay day. I think, but am not sure, the drawing may be sponsored by Sturgeon for Tomorrow.

Wow. That's pretty cool. They must be re-usable. Maybe they can replace the batteries in them or something. They aren't cheap.
North of 8
Posted 3/1/2021 7:31 PM (#976284 - in reply to #976283)

TCESOX - 3/1/2021 6:58 PM

Wow. That's pretty cool. They must be re-usable. Maybe they can replace the batteries in them or something. They aren't cheap.
I don't know, I hope to learn more but he did say that what little he could find online said that it carries a full year of GPS coordinates, the depths at which the fish swam and what the water temperatures were. I am sure that will extremely valuable to the researchers. He is going to let me know what he learns from the DNR. My daughter is a biology teacher and she was excited about getting the data and photos to use in a class.
TCESOX
Posted 3/1/2021 9:31 PM (#976288 - in reply to #976284)

North of 8 - 3/1/2021 7:31 PM

TCESOX - 3/1/2021 6:58 PM

I don't know, I hope to learn more but he did say that what little he could find online said that it carries a full year of GPS coordinates, the depths at which the fish swam and what the water temperatures were. I am sure that will extremely valuable to the researchers. He is going to let me know what he learns from the DNR. My daughter is a biology teacher and she was excited about getting the data and photos to use in a class.

That makes sense then, if there is data on the devise. I would think they would do anything and everything to get those things back.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)