Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Side imaging- Size vs quality/price

Reply New post
Message Subject: Side imaging- Size vs quality/price
MKevin
Posted 2/25/2021 7:38 AM (#975981)
Subject: Side imaging- Size vs quality/price

Im finally looking move on from my Yak to get a boat this season, a couple of close calls in late fall last year got me to think twice about going fishing when those water temps are close to freezing.

I'd like to get the most functionnal set up for the price as Im getting everything at once so quality price is the #1 factor for every component.

Here's my question, when it comes to your electronics, side imaging specifically, would you rather have a bigger screen with less bells and whistles or go for a smaller one thats better quality?

For my price range, I've come across the Lowrance Hook reveal 9 triple shot, Garmin Stirker vivid 9 or HB Helix 7 chirp MSI.

I can deal with some of the features that arent available on the 9 inchers that the HB unit offers, so it really comes down to... Is the HB SI so much better than the other 2 that its worth getting a unit thats 2 inches smaller for the same price?

I appreciate any help, from experience or even simple logic I might have missed.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/25/2021 9:00 AM (#975986 - in reply to #975981)
Subject: Re: Side imaging- Size vs quality/price

I'm thinking you'll be happier with the bird. The SI is far superior in any size. I had a helix 7 before it was MEGA and it was pretty good. Since you're looking at the MEGA I would say it's a quality image. I upgraded to MEGA+ last year and it makes a huge difference. You can't see muskies sitting on bottom with cheaper SI so eventually you'll be jealous of all the other great images you're seeing online and upgrade. Therefore, Helix 7 Mega at a minimum if you are concerned with SI.
sworrall
Posted 2/25/2021 9:12 AM (#975987 - in reply to #975986)

Kirby Budrow - 2/25/2021 9:00 AM

I'm thinking you'll be happier with the bird. The SI is far superior in any size. I had a helix 7 before it was MEGA and it was pretty good. Since you're looking at the MEGA I would say it's a quality image. I upgraded to MEGA+ last year and it makes a huge difference. You can't see muskies sitting on bottom with cheaper SI so eventually you'll be jealous of all the other great images you're seeing online and upgrade. Therefore, Helix 7 Mega at a minimum if you are concerned with SI.

Same here. I have a 7 and an 8 Mega, both do a great job.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/25/2021 9:19 AM (#975990 - in reply to #975981)

If you can save up, I'd get a helix 8 MEGA SI. Quite a bit better than the 7.
Eyesore
Posted 2/25/2021 9:33 AM (#975992 - in reply to #975981)

I just went from a Helix 7 to an 8, big improvement. I would have bought the 9 but they were out of them and only had a small handfull of 8s left so I snagged it while I still could. Spend the money for the best you can swing, you wont regret it.
MKevin
Posted 2/25/2021 2:00 PM (#976011 - in reply to #975981)

Thanks for the quicks replies, seems pretty unanimous that the HB si technology is that much better. While I'd like to save up for a bigger than 7 one, that's going to have to cut it for a while as I also have to save up for a TM(the one currently on the YAK would be useless on a boat).

Reason I'm buying the sonar first is I can still use it in the Yak if I cant manage to get the whole boat before the opener. Ideally I'd like to only finance the boat motor trailer. Selling the Yak should give me a nice start for the TM though. Once everything is functionnal, then I can save up to add bigger screens to the setup.

Edited by MKevin 2/25/2021 2:02 PM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/25/2021 5:58 PM (#976020 - in reply to #976011)

I spent many years with a 5” screen without SI and then made it to 7”. Caught just as many, if not more fish than I do now with a bigger graph. You’ll be happy with the 7
MKevin
Posted 2/25/2021 6:24 PM (#976022 - in reply to #976020)

Kirby Budrow - 2/25/2021 6:58 PM

I spent many years with a 5” screen without SI and then made it to 7”. Caught just as many, if not more fish than I do now with a bigger graph. You’ll be happy with the 7

Thats what I have in the Yak currently, a striker 5 DV that I also use for ice fishing. I think the hardest thing for me will be to actually sell the Yak.

I dont think Im ever going to beat the rush I got having a 50+ hitting my heli dawg out of nowhere boatside in 40F water(last day of october)... First reaction was hell yeah! followed by this wont fit in the net, followed by looking at the shore and thinking I can probably swim that distance before I get hit with Hypothermia(pipe dream)...

That episode actually went pretty well all things considered... A week later I almost threw myself off the boat just casting a Dawg I had added weight to, I completely lost my balance when the rod unloaded and just let myself fall on the seat... This could have gone either way... This was it for me and the Yak.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/25/2021 8:42 PM (#976033 - in reply to #976022)

I fish from a canoe now and then as well and have boated a handful of 48-50 inch fish in it. It’s really fun! I’d like to have a nice yak too but definitely dangerous! I flipped a different canoe duck hunting in skim ice cold water. I’m much more careful now.
RLSea
Posted 2/25/2021 10:41 PM (#976036 - in reply to #975981)

I would save the the striker 5 and run it alongside the Helix, just make sure the transducers are located as far apart as possible. This way you would not have to split the screen on the Helix to view multi functions. Or use the Garmin in front with the trolling motor.
MKevin
Posted 2/26/2021 6:11 AM (#976041 - in reply to #976036)

RLSea - 2/25/2021 11:41 PM

I would save the the striker 5 and run it alongside the Helix, just make sure the transducers are located as far apart as possible. This way you would not have to split the screen on the Helix to view multi functions. Or use the Garmin in front with the trolling motor.

Yeah side by side was the plan, I'd use the 5 for under the boat views and the helix for SI exclusively although auto chart is a feature Im also really looking foward too.

I wouldnt have thought about installing them as far apart as possible so you've probably saved me from a headache right there. thanks!
miket55
Posted 2/27/2021 10:43 PM (#976167 - in reply to #975981)

Wandered through my somewhat local BPS the other day, and there was a Helix 10, and 7, both SI, G3N marked down substantially. You might check around in your area..

Edited by miket55 2/27/2021 10:44 PM
OH Musky
Posted 2/28/2021 8:47 AM (#976177 - in reply to #975981)

It's not only the size of the screen, it's the resolution of that screen that matters. Not all screens, regardless of size, are created equal. I have both a 9" and 10" Helix Mega SI. Only 1" difference in size, but the difference on the resolution between the two is stark. I just picked up a 10" Garmin 106SV that has better resolution than the 10" Helix so we'll see how that shows up.

I got the Garmin in order to add LiveScope later. It was cheaper to go that route than have to completely upgrade all the birds in order to add their not-yet-released live system.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 2/28/2021 9:04 AM (#976181 - in reply to #975981)

A new boat? Now you're talking! What are you getting?
pstrombe
Posted 2/28/2021 10:53 AM (#976199 - in reply to #975981)

After 35+ years with Lowrance I switched to Hummingbird and will never go back. Biggest screen you can comfortably afford is a good rule. Currently have a Helix 10 & 8 in rear and 8 upfront. The rear 8 is down scan only and is used primarily for navigation. If the lake is really a rock pile I will use the bigger screen when running between spots. The Helix 8 is also used for ice fishing. Good Luck
MKevin
Posted 3/2/2021 3:47 PM (#976313 - in reply to #976181)

Brian Hoffies - 2/28/2021 10:04 AM

A new boat? Now you're talking! What are you getting?

Currently looking at either a MV 1648 alumacraft or a legend 14 widebody. Buying them naked and decking them myself. I change my mind every day between the 2. I fish alone 95% of the time and really the only reason Im upgrading from the yak is for safety reasons.

I've only been fishing for musky for 2 seasons now and I feel like Im learning alot simply for having to stay on the same 2-3 spot on any given day. Not having the option to "run and gun" forces me to really work spots thouroughly. Lets hope I have the discipline to keep doing it that way with a motor boat.

MKevin
Posted 3/2/2021 3:53 PM (#976314 - in reply to #976199)

pstrombe - 2/28/2021 11:53 AM

After 35+ years with Lowrance I switched to Hummingbird and will never go back. Biggest screen you can comfortably afford is a good rule. Currently have a Helix 10 & 8 in rear and 8 upfront. The rear 8 is down scan only and is used primarily for navigation. If the lake is really a rock pile I will use the bigger screen when running between spots. The Helix 8 is also used for ice fishing. Good Luck

Im really having a problem setting a floor on the minimum screen size I want to get... I thought that was 7 but the more I read about it, the more I think Im going to want to upgrade it 2 months in...
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/3/2021 8:47 AM (#976337 - in reply to #976314)

MKevin - 3/2/2021 3:53 PM

pstrombe - 2/28/2021 11:53 AM

Im really having a problem setting a floor on the minimum screen size I want to get... I thought that was 7 but the more I read about it, the more I think Im going to want to upgrade it 2 months in...

That's correct. Get an 8 or 9
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)