Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Which lure types do you always add a split ring to?

Message Subject: Which lure types do you always add a split ring to?
dward
Posted 2/22/2021 9:57 PM (#975844)
Subject: Which lure types do you always add a split ring to?

I have fished muskie for many years but never added split rings to my baits? I’ve just attached my leader directly to the bait. I always thought that if a manufacturer wanted a split ring, they would have put one on..... I guess I just didn’t want to “mess with” the action of the lure? This winter however as I’m looking at my lures it got me thinking... maybe I need to add some! But to which lures?

Off the top of my head I think I’m leaning towards adding them to all my jerkbaits, and all my rubber baits.

I don’t plan on adding to my crank baits

Obviously not to my buck tails or spinner baits

As for top water... I don’t know?

Looking to hear from others on their opinions on this , how do you handle it by lure type

Thanks in advance for ideas for me to consider

Muskyrookie
Posted 2/22/2021 11:24 PM (#975845 - in reply to #975844)
Subject: RE: Which lure types do you always add a split ring to?

I've added them to almost all of my baits. When I pick up some more I will be adding them to my bucktails as well. Im transitioning my leaders to be mostly solid rings instead of snaps. Having a ring out front seems to give baits a little more freedom to move around. It's all personal preference though. Crankbaits get more wiggle or should I say wobble with them.
h2os2t
Posted 2/23/2021 7:41 AM (#975848 - in reply to #975844)
Subject: RE: Which lure types do you always add a split ring to?

I put a split ring on every lure I sell and use except bucktails. I also use a snap but a solid ring leader and split ring is a good choice. Snaps without rings could twist and unlock in the right conditions.
MartinTD
Posted 2/23/2021 8:06 AM (#975849 - in reply to #975844)
Subject: Re: Which lure types do you always add a split ring to?

I put rings on all rubber baits and some cranks but that's about it. I personally do not put them on any WTD baits whereas I know some people do. I have put them on some tail spinning topwaters and they are a must for hawg wobblers. Putting them on a bucktail though? I understand if you're using leaders with a solid ring but otherwise it would be a complete waste of rings. To me, the solid ring leader to split ring sounds like a total pain in the butt. I'll continue to change out my stay-locks regularly.
FlyPiker
Posted 2/23/2021 10:42 AM (#975853 - in reply to #975844)

I use split rings on all my paddle tail swim baits. I tend to put them on dawgs but not dusas, seems to give dawgs more of a shimmy, where on dusas I tend to get them to roll completely over. Pro dawgs don’t seem to get as much out of adding the split ring. Keep in mind, I suck at catching fish so this is mostly just my visual observations. Couldn’t tell you how much the fish care, likely they care as much as honey badgers.
dward
Posted 2/23/2021 11:01 AM (#975854 - in reply to #975853)

Appreciate all the feedback and comments so far. This definitely gives me something to think about... i'm probably leaning on adding split rings to about 50-60 of my lures over the winter now...
TCESOX
Posted 2/23/2021 4:41 PM (#975865 - in reply to #975844)

I mostly just add them to the lures that have tiny eyes that are hard to get on the snap.
jasonvkop
Posted 2/23/2021 9:09 PM (#975873 - in reply to #975844)

Instead of using a snap on your leader and adding split rings to your baits, simply use a solid ring and split ring on your leader. Snaps will weaken over time and break or open at the lure connection point.
RyanJoz
Posted 2/24/2021 6:32 AM (#975880 - in reply to #975873)

Crank baits and older rubber with the jig hook. Others prefer rings for attaching baits, I prefer snaps. Pay attention to them and if something doesn’t feel right with them, change them. If they don’t open as far as they used to, color looks off, feel easier to open or close, just swap it out.

I found if I added them to Poseidon baits, the baits fouled about 10x more often. I throw these a lot.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)