Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> So here's a question...

Message Subject: So here's a question...
esoxaddict
Posted 2/19/2021 7:28 PM (#975647)
Subject: So here's a question...

We've all got them. Some have tremendous success with them. I won't argue whether or not they work. They clearly do and have since dirt. Just not for me. I've pulled, twitched, jerked, tapped, and everything else I can think of. Weighted, unweighted, different sizes, changed hooks, added split rings, and bent the tail 8 ways to Sunday. After all these years, I am still left watching the stupid thing in the water and wondering: "Is THAT what they're supposed to do??"

So here's the question: (there is apparently no wrong answer except "whatever EA is doing with them.")

What the ever loving hell do you do with a Suick??

Edited by esoxaddict 2/19/2021 7:29 PM
wallydiven
Posted 2/19/2021 7:49 PM (#975649 - in reply to #975647)
Subject: Re: So here's a question...

It's a stick in the water! Muskies eat whatever they want and whenever they want. I've used them but don't own any. I've seen many fish caught on them but I have yet to hook up on one. Probably why I don't own any. Maybe someday??
sworrall
Posted 2/19/2021 7:51 PM (#975650 - in reply to #975647)

http://upload.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=5398
TCESOX
Posted 2/19/2021 7:58 PM (#975651 - in reply to #975647)

First fish in my boat, on a Suick, came when I took a buddy out on his first time musky fishing. He could use a baitcaster, but would get 3 or 4 backlashes in a half day of fishing. Well he pulled a Suick out my tackle box and snapped it on. First cast, he gets a nasty backlash. It was a bright, calm, sunny day. Mid-afternoon. I put the anchor out, handed him the pick, and started into a sandwich. Bait was floating about 30 yards from the boat, just sitting there on glassy water. He struggled with the birds nest for about 7 or 8 minutes, and asked for help. I start picking away at it, and just as I am pulling the last of the over run out, and am getting ready to engage the reel to reel in all of the loose line, big splash, lure gone. I start cranking the slack in as fast as I can, and the fish is still there. Hand him the rod and let him bring it in. Nice low 40s fish. That stupid bait was just sitting there floating, no movement, for at least 10 minutes. I think if it had been a stick, it would have been hit. I've caught a few fish on them, but don't use them much, mostly because I have no idea what I might have done when I have caught fish on them.
IAJustin
Posted 2/19/2021 8:01 PM (#975652 - in reply to #975650)

Good success in Canada in clean cabbage, Bobbie baits too... fish them both quite a bit on bluebird post front days..i almost never throw them in the states?..probably should.
sworrall
Posted 2/19/2021 8:10 PM (#975654 - in reply to #975647)

http://upload.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=6307

Mike Suick.
Shroomskie
Posted 2/19/2021 8:38 PM (#975655 - in reply to #975647)

Play with the tail
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/19/2021 8:58 PM (#975657 - in reply to #975655)

I agree. I can never make them work right and never have any action on them. I’m certain it’s user error because they’re obviously fish catchers.
ToddM
Posted 2/19/2021 8:59 PM (#975658 - in reply to #975647)

It's the burst of speed with a pause. Works well to trigger strikes. Many baits do it if you can get them to do something on the pause that's erratic the better. I have more confidence in other jerkbaits but there is no denying the suick's success.

Edited by ToddM 2/19/2021 9:01 PM
djwilliams
Posted 2/19/2021 9:15 PM (#975659 - in reply to #975647)

It is the bait I use on Leech that results in the most follows, and follows from the biggest fish. Same story on another nearby lake. BTW, I don't throw Suicks as much as other baits. They can be gently pulled, twitched, reeled without action, trolled, or floated over cabbage or snapped thru it. I bend the tail pretty good. I think the 9" weighted get down about 4-5 feet max. Can't remember ever unhooking a muskie from one though.
miket55
Posted 2/19/2021 9:39 PM (#975661 - in reply to #975647)

I had several languishing in the box since the early '80s.. I'd take one out every now and then, fish it halfheartedly for a bit, and put it away. Several years ago, I watched the video Mr. Worrall posted, got one to play nice, took it up north, and got a 41" on the first cast second pull. I've done well with them since, caught some nice pike, and even largemouth.

Edited by miket55 2/19/2021 9:40 PM
North of 8
Posted 2/19/2021 9:39 PM (#975662 - in reply to #975659)

My first "legal" musky was on a Suick back in the late '70s. I caught a number of fish on them, but don't use them much anymore. Back in the day, fished a couple times with a friend's brother in law on the Three Lakes Chain and he could make them sing and dance. He caught on lot of fish on Suicks, including some very big fish. Guys that are good with them can toss into cabbage, bump the cabbage, let it float backwards, move them around, and catch fish. I never really mastered the art of fishing them in weeds. Where I did have some luck was in water with rock, boulders in shallower water. Bump them on rocks, let it float back up, repeat.
Ranger
Posted 2/19/2021 10:01 PM (#975664 - in reply to #975647)

Fantastic bait. Before I was on M1 I was on the Rollie and Helen's web/chat site. I asked your question and Rollie very generously wrote out a 2 page response. 20 years later I LOVE that bait and here are the highlights....

- of the choices in front of you buy the one with the highest eye
- of the choices in front of you buy the one with the hook eyes in the straightest line
- T the hooks
- place a split ring in the nose and use a sorta light leader, never straight wire ( I use a 80# 9" fluoro)
- pull the suick with a straight down stroke, the nose of the bait will swing side to side as it descends, but will never shoot off to one side or the other
- release almost all tension, but not everything, use the reel and keep the rod pointed at the lure
- if you have tuned the rear blade correctly the lure will flatten out on a sort tight line and wobble side to side on the rise (I call it the "death wobble")
- its the death wobble that makes a suick a star, only a few do it

There you go. All suicks are different, some are natural "death wobblers" and some just suck no matter what. I'm lucky to have two terrific suicks, a floater in natural perch and a weighted in orange with black spots. I have about 20 more but I collected them for a while just for fun.

ok then
jdsplasher
Posted 2/19/2021 10:01 PM (#975665 - in reply to #975662)

If it rained all day,, and you need to make a campfire, it makes really good Kindling

Caught several fish on Suicks. Great for bending over stick ups in cabbage. Fished Painstaking Slow! Fish can’t deal with their roof being compromised.

Also, Suicks are very effective trolled, and Jerked covering water.

JD 

Ranger
Posted 2/19/2021 10:17 PM (#975666 - in reply to #975647)

Oh yea, once tuned, great to troll. Sweep slowly forward, drop back on a tight line. A weighted will get down to 12 or 15', unweighted maybe 6'.

This is just my experience in how I use them. I seem to recall a Worrall poolside video where Steve had an unweighted model shooting off a couple feet to one side and then the other. Pretty cool.
Fishysam
Posted 2/20/2021 8:05 AM (#975674 - in reply to #975647)

I have doubled on them when nothing else was getting looked at, multiple people in multiple boats too.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/20/2021 9:02 AM (#975678 - in reply to #975647)

I really like working them around cover, with hard pulls. Thick weed edges and big boulders. It will pop into their strike zone and get a reaction response. Some of the hardest strikes I've ever encountered.
pstrombe
Posted 2/20/2021 9:26 AM (#975679 - in reply to #975647)

Surprised at all the negative comments. In my opinion it is one of the few 'old time' baits that has survived the test of time. It's no longer a go to bait for me but it does catch fish. I had a two musky day with a walleye pattern one 3 years ago while lake hopping Rusk / Sawyer counties. In my boat the Suick has pretty much taken a back seat to Navins, which lets face it is basically a suick clone (among others) with better profile and color options, arguably improved action and being pre-drilled for weights more versatile. Best color for northern WI in my opinion is Black Perch
Born
Posted 2/20/2021 9:51 AM (#975683 - in reply to #975647)

I put larger hooks on them and T them. This has improved my hooking percentage. Happens to be my favorite lure. I remember fishing with a friend 20 years ago, I got about ten strikes on Suicks, he had none. I had a devil of a time hooking them on the lure until I started putting larger hooks on them. T ing the original hooks will barely get the points beyond the belly of the bait.

Edited by Born 2/20/2021 9:52 AM
ghoti
Posted 2/20/2021 11:08 AM (#975690 - in reply to #975647)
Subject: RE: So here's a question...

Love em. Have dozens. They work in all seasons and conditions.
ToddC
Posted 2/20/2021 12:43 PM (#975695 - in reply to #975647)

Gotta love them! The only lure I’ve hooked two muskies on at the same time. A small one had it first and a bigger one tried to take it away from the little one. Ended up boating the bigger one that was 41. Also had a great morning one fall with a 47 & a 49 with a Suick I bought in the clearance bin at Gander. Watch the videos. Many ways to work them. The rip & rise is deadly but you have to give them time to pause and float up. Halfway thru the pause give it a little twitch. If there is a following fish that is when they crush them. Watch the way Steve W works then with the reel. You can get a nice WTD action with them as Steve demonstrates. Also on a couple of mine I’ve replaced the hooks with a pair of 6/0 Neversnag hooks and you can work that thru the real thick weeds very easily. I think many guys tend to fish them too fast. For me the key has been giving them an ample prolonged pause. It’s a great bait to throw when you need a break from fishing bigger or faster lures. They’ve caught big fish for decades and will continue for many more.
jchiggins
Posted 2/20/2021 12:47 PM (#975696 - in reply to #975647)

Suicks are my all time favorite jerk bait. Very versatile jerk bait. As posted, many have tinkered with them to their liking. Myself, I just give the tail a slight bend. The eye needs to be tuned just like a crank bait. My best suicks are trashed and actually better with age. I'll actually marinate my suicks in the baitwell presoaking them. A water logged weighted suick has more of a hang that has worked for me.
Conservation Guy
Posted 2/20/2021 12:59 PM (#975698 - in reply to #975696)

They are an absolute "go-to" when things are difficult, and sometimes when they are not. Additionally, give the Frankensuick a look. They have great action and an adjustable weight system that makes them really versatile.
Angling Oracle
Posted 2/20/2021 1:18 PM (#975700 - in reply to #975647)

A must have bait in Canada I would say. Wicked when worked in and around cabbage and tight to shore on rock spots. If you don't get muskies you will get a lot of pike up here of all sizes on them. If the fish aren't showing on faster stuff (blades) they often do on these.
leech lake strain
Posted 2/20/2021 6:43 PM (#975716 - in reply to #975647)

I think they work well. I think its more of a triggered bite than anything else. At least the way i run them anyway. I use a long rod at least a 8'6", i do long sweeps with it fairly quickly and then reel in the slack. The bait dives and rocks back and forth when i do it. Ill hit bottom quick if im in 4' of water. Im sure im getting down 5-6' i bet with how i bend the tail. I dont twitch them, just long sweeps.
Ivegotafever
Posted 2/20/2021 6:49 PM (#975717 - in reply to #975647)

If I had to choose one bait to throw for the rest of my life, the Suick would certainly be in the conversation.
mikie
Posted 2/21/2021 4:18 PM (#975756 - in reply to #975647)

I no longer own one. Never saw the fascination in them.
My favorite dive and rise bait is the Sledge, and I have 28 of them. m
Born
Posted 2/21/2021 4:24 PM (#975757 - in reply to #975647)

Mikie you don't own one Suick but you have 28 Sledge's ? Realy
mikie
Posted 2/21/2021 4:46 PM (#975759 - in reply to #975757)

To each his own sickness, I guess. m

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/ydZjzBrz/DSCN0654.jpg[/img]

Edited by mikie 2/21/2021 4:49 PM
pklingen
Posted 2/21/2021 6:15 PM (#975764 - in reply to #975647)

come on really? alls i can tell ya is they eat them in ohio. i bend the tail a bit, fish it pretty quick, and it rolls over and does tricks that the fish love most of the time. watch j. hanson's vid with TRO and you'll see the magic happen! i have way too many of them just like all of the others........

Edited by pklingen 2/21/2021 6:17 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)