Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> how many equal a musky

Message Subject: how many equal a musky
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/15/2021 9:39 PM (#975334 - in reply to #975333)
Subject: Re: how many equal a musky

I know they are fun on a rod and reel...fight much harder (especially longer) than any muskie. With all due respect, why no conversation about conservation of this great species here? Maybe we can at least entertain an evolution toward CPR?

Edited by Masqui-ninja 2/15/2021 10:06 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(untitled (7 of 23)-2.jpg)

(untitled (1 of 1).jpg)

(untitled (3 of 5)-2.jpg)

(untitled (18 of 31)-2.jpg)

(untitled (10 of 33)-2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments untitled (7 of 23)-2.jpg (167KB - 304 downloads)
Attachments untitled (1 of 1).jpg (108KB - 286 downloads)
Attachments untitled (3 of 5)-2.jpg (206KB - 291 downloads)
Attachments untitled (18 of 31)-2.jpg (111KB - 273 downloads)
Attachments untitled (10 of 33)-2.jpg (139KB - 274 downloads)
North of 8
Posted 2/15/2021 9:54 PM (#975335 - in reply to #975334)

Masqui-ninja - 2/15/2021 9:39 PM

I know they are fun on a rod and reel...fight much harder (especially longer) than any muskie.

Yes, if I was to book a dream trip for a single species of fish it would be in the northwest where they catch white sturgeon weighing up to 300 or more pounds on rod and reel in rivers. If I understand correctly, they cannot even bring into the boat to unhook, must be released in the water. Have been on a raft on the Wolf river fishing for walleye when one was hooked on a lure. Snapped the 30# braid without trying. Those rafts will put out a variety of lengths of fiberglass cane poles with crank baits in the water. As many as 12 poles. The current moves the lures and walleyes hit them. The nightmare scenario is for a big sturgeon coming up/down the river to get tangled in the lines and take a dozen rods with them. My brother in laws keep a sharp knife on shelf outside just for the purpose of cutting the line if a sturgeon gets tangled. Two of my nephews were fishing walleye with jig and minnow on Easter morning one year on the Wolf when a big sturgeon hit. By some miracle they got it to the boat, and keeping it in the river they took their jig out of its mouth, along with 8 other jigs. That one apparently had a taste for walleye minnow.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/15/2021 10:28 PM (#975338 - in reply to #975332)

sworrall - 2/15/2021 9:12 PM

Some people think that muskie fishing is 'barbaric'. Others feel that way about deer hunting. Fortunately, those who practice the sport know what the overall benefits are.

Sturgeon spearing on Winnebago is a long-standing established tradition and is strictly regulated by the DNR. I bet there isn't one couple, family, or group of guys on Winnebago this week too concerned about anyone else's opinion, either yours or mine.

https://www.fws.gov/midwest/sturgeon/documents/bruch-winnebago-mgmt....

You’re definitely right, I’m certain they don’t care. But coming from northern Minnesota where sturgeon were almost nonexistent and brought back to a very healthy population, they are held in high regard and killing one is almost as taboo as killing a muskie. To me, killing an animal that’s older than I am just doesn’t feel right.
TCESOX
Posted 2/15/2021 11:21 PM (#975344 - in reply to #975205)

The Winnebago system is the anomaly. It is completely unusual in the sturgeon world. It can tolerate what is allowed. All other places, sturgeon need to be treated like we treat muskies. The Rainy, St. Croix, and Menomonee, could not tolerate much harvest. They are coming back and becoming excellent fisheries, but cannot tolerate the kind of harvest that Winnebago can.
North of 8
Posted 2/16/2021 6:06 AM (#975345 - in reply to #975344)

TCESOX - 2/15/2021 11:21 PM

The Winnebago system is the anomaly. It is completely unusual in the sturgeon world. It can tolerate what is allowed. All other places, sturgeon need to be treated like we treat muskies. The Rainy, St. Croix, and Menomonee, could not tolerate much harvest. They are coming back and becoming excellent fisheries, but cannot tolerate the kind of harvest that Winnebago can.

Stock from the Winnebago system have been used to bolster other populations.
North of 8
Posted 2/16/2021 7:02 AM (#975351 - in reply to #975334)

I know they are fun on a rod and reel...fight much harder (especially longer) than any muskie. With all due respect, why no conversation about conservation of this great species here? Maybe we can at least entertain an evolution toward CPR?

One thing that puzzled me when I lived in Fond du Lac (which means 'foot of the lake'), was how there was virtually no enthusiasm for sport fishing sturgeon on the 'Bago system with a catch and release standard. They are caught by walleye fisherman but if they do get them to the boat, they can't bring them onboard, etc. Pliers to remove hook and that is it. Unlike the Rainy, the fish are not in the river for long, they migrate out of Winnebago early, normally under the ice, spawn right after ice out and then return to the lakes. Maybe that would make them very difficult to fish, I don't know. Just know that when I would mention hook and line fishing for them, not much of a positive response.
bbeaupre
Posted 2/16/2021 10:00 AM (#975362 - in reply to #975205)
Subject: RE: how many equal a musky

Not much talk about sturgeon in sturgeon bay, but my wife hooked a ~5 footer and then handed me the rod. 3 hours later we had it boatside, snapped a pic of it in the water and removed the hook. One of the coolest fishing experiences Ive ever had even more so than the 55 and 54 inch musky Ive caught since. A a younger person I was a trophy chaser (in all aspects) as an "mature" adult Ive found Im more for the experience.
sworrall
Posted 2/16/2021 11:50 AM (#975368 - in reply to #975205)

I haven't seen much interest from the 'Bago system anglers for hook and line sturgeon at all. There's no open season for them hook and line (even special cpr like early bass) and no pressure to open one.

They are a blast to catch through the ice, got this one in '15 on a light walleye stick.

https://www.facebook.com/UnderwaterViewing/posts/10158034496927758
Cicciospin
Posted 2/16/2021 12:07 PM (#975369 - in reply to #975205)

obviously I don't have muskies and I can talk about pike .... for me, catching a big pike has no comparison if I rely on satisfaction or adrenaline and I consider big pike a pike over 43 "... when random catches happen to me looking for the pike they must be large to compensate ... then in that case I am quite satisfied ... for example the last random catch was a 6.10 "over 100lb sturgeon caught while fishing for pike with a jig and craw
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/jCpVbzXC/IMG-20210213-WA0062.jpg[/img]
North of 8
Posted 2/16/2021 12:17 PM (#975370 - in reply to #975368)

sworrall - 2/16/2021 11:50 AM

I haven't seen much interest from the 'Bago system anglers for hook and line sturgeon at all. There's no open season for them hook and line (even special cpr like early bass) and no pressure to open one.

They are a blast to catch through the ice, got this one in '15 on a light walleye stick.

https://www.facebook.com/UnderwaterViewing/posts/10158034496927758[/...

That is an amazing video! Crazy to see it under the ice through multiple holes in the ice.
I know that can legally be taken through the ice on Keweenaw Bay outside Baraga, guys fish for them in over 100' feet of water but don't know much more than that. Don't think they use a light walleye jig pole.
Angling Oracle
Posted 2/16/2021 3:12 PM (#975380 - in reply to #975369)

Cicciospin - 2/16/2021 12:07 PM

obviously I don't have muskies and I can talk about pike .... for me, catching a big pike has no comparison if I rely on satisfaction or adrenaline and I consider big pike a pike over 43 "... when random catches happen to me looking for the pike they must be large to compensate ... then in that case I am quite satisfied ... for example the last random catch was a 6.10 "over 100lb sturgeon caught while fishing for pike with a jig and craw

Cicciospin, I'm curious as to where you are catching your pike. Are they all northern pike (Esox lucius), or are you getting any Southern Pike too (Esox cisalpinus)?    Pretty unique spotting on some of those.

Edited by Angling Oracle 2/16/2021 3:15 PM
IAJustin
Posted 2/16/2021 3:20 PM (#975382 - in reply to #975335)

North of 8 - 2/15/2021 9:54 PM

I know they are fun on a rod and reel...fight much harder (especially longer) than any muskie.

Yes, if I was to book a dream trip for a single species of fish it would be in the northwest where they catch white sturgeon weighing up to 300 or more pounds on rod and reel in rivers. If I understand correctly, they cannot even bring into the boat to unhook, must be released in the water.

Correct you can’t take them out of the water, they pull hard...this is the guy if you want to fulfill your dream: https://nwsturgeonadventures.com
North of 8
Posted 2/16/2021 3:31 PM (#975383 - in reply to #975382)

IAJustin - 2/16/2021 3:20 PM

North of 8 - 2/15/2021 9:54 PM

Yes, if I was to book a dream trip for a single species of fish it would be in the northwest where they catch white sturgeon weighing up to 300 or more pounds on rod and reel in rivers. If I understand correctly, they cannot even bring into the boat to unhook, must be released in the water.

Correct you can’t take them out of the water, they pull hard...this is the guy if you want to fulfill your dream: https://nwsturgeonadventures.com

Thanks! Did not not know you could keep smaller ones on the Columbia, so I was confused when I went to the website and saw photo of people holding small sturgeon on the boat. My wife has an old friend who lives very close to Portland who has stayed with us while visiting WI, so while not this year, maybe next year that would be trip for us to take! Very reasonable rates as well.

Edited by North of 8 2/16/2021 3:33 PM
IAJustin
Posted 2/16/2021 3:39 PM (#975387 - in reply to #975383)

My brother lives in Portland, Charlie is a humble guy, the pictures he showed me of recent 300-600 pound fish make me wonder why he doesn’t post more big fish photos? I think many just know he’s the best... we caught 4 between 150-200 lbs on the Willamette ( high water on Columbia) in a half day , pulled hooks on two others... I was there first week July several years ago, stunning scenery to boot. He definitely knows his craft!

Edited by IAJustin 2/16/2021 3:41 PM
North of 8
Posted 2/16/2021 3:50 PM (#975388 - in reply to #975387)

IAJustin - 2/16/2021 3:39 PM

My brother lives in Portland, Charlie is a humble guy, the pictures he showed me of recent 300-600 pound fish make me wonder why he doesn’t post more big fish photos? I think many just know he’s the best... we caught 4 between 150-200 lbs on the Willamette ( high water on Columbia) in a half day , pulled hooks on two others... I was there first week July several years ago, stunning scenery to boot. He definitely knows his craft!

OK, this is officially on my bucket list! Can only imagine what a 200 pound sturgeon is like on rod and reel. My son had a 50-60 pounder grab his walleye minnow when we were fishing from a raft on the Wolf, it bent his 7' spinning rod in half before the line snapped. Not sure it even knew it was hooked. We all held our breath as it headed up stream between the dozen lures hanging in the water and the barrels supporting the raft. Thankfully, never got close to the lures.
Cicciospin
Posted 2/16/2021 4:01 PM (#975391 - in reply to #975380)

Angling Oracle - 2/16/2021 10:12 PM

Cicciospin - 2/16/2021 12:07 PM

Cicciospin, I'm curious as to where you are catching your pike. Are they all northern pike (Esox lucius), or are you getting any Southern Pike too (Esox cisalpinus)?    Pretty unique spotting on some of those.

I fish in the great lakes of northern Italy (Maggiore lake, Garda lake) the larger ones are all nothern pike, while the smaller ones are the Southern Pike ...
For ex:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/LnMxsDb2/IMG-20171106-WA0051-1.jpg[/img]

Edited by Cicciospin 2/16/2021 4:18 PM
Shroomskie
Posted 2/16/2021 5:34 PM (#975398 - in reply to #975205)

This is a tough topic for me to answer. I've never been as excited as I get catching any musky. Not sure why. I guess a good haul of panfish when you have no fish would come close?
Angling Oracle
Posted 2/17/2021 10:32 AM (#975437 - in reply to #975391)

I fish in the great lakes of northern Italy (Maggiore lake, Garda lake) the larger ones are all nothern pike, while the smaller ones are the Southern Pike ...
For ex:

That's a super neat looking pike. My in-laws live in southern Germany and pike there are pretty much identical to ours. Tiny little lakes (Waldsee and Federsee - just north of Bodensee - aka Lake Constance) - surprising the size of pike they can get, particularly out of the Waldsee. They have wels cats there too but don't get as big as the introduced southern Spain ones.

The sturgeon you caught I assume a rare adriatic sturgeon? River monsters (Jeremy Wade) did it pretty cool show on the recovery effort.

As far as unique trophies, the Marble Trout you have there in northern Italy would be something special for the fly fishing crowd (which when I am over there, I would like to do in some of the German rivers - particularly the Danube and Iller). Getting a licence and place to go not easy though.

Edited by Angling Oracle 2/17/2021 10:36 AM
Cicciospin
Posted 2/17/2021 11:38 AM (#975446 - in reply to #975437)

Angling Oracle - 2/17/2021 5:32 PM

For ex:

That's a super neat looking pike. My in-laws live in southern Germany and pike there are pretty much identical to ours. Tiny little lakes (Waldsee and Federsee - just north of Bodensee - aka Lake Constance) - surprising the size of pike they can get, particularly out of the Waldsee. They have wels cats there too but don't get as big as the introduced southern Spain ones.

The sturgeon you caught I assume a rare adriatic sturgeon? River monsters (Jeremy Wade) did it pretty cool show on the recovery effort.

As far as unique trophies, the Marble Trout you have there in northern Italy would be something special for the fly fishing crowd (which when I am over there, I would like to do in some of the German rivers - particularly the Danube and Iller). Getting a licence and place to go not easy though.

hi, the sturgeon I took it in a private sport fishing reserve ... the sturgeon in Italy in the big rivers is very rare and fishing is prohibited ... it happens to catch them by fishing the wels ... the only places where you can catch sturgeons in Italy is precisely in private fishing reserves ... in my case, however, it was a casual capture .. the marble trout in Italy has many fans especially in northern Italy and Slovenia ... unfortunately, however, the catches of giant specimens are very very rare compared to 20/30 years ago due to poaching but above all to the almost disappearance of the breeding areas

Edited by Cicciospin 2/17/2021 11:39 AM
true tiger tamer
Posted 2/17/2021 1:16 PM (#975455 - in reply to #975205)

Italy has another really cool trout called a Pucchi trout, a brown with huge red or orange spots, they look photoshopped. I've fished with Cicciospin and was fortunately lucky enough to catch a small southern pike and several northerns including a 41" northern that had a huge girth, it was built like a super heavy muskie. He's also caught big wels catfish and zander in his pursuit of pike and really knows his stuff.
Angling Oracle
Posted 2/17/2021 2:05 PM (#975462 - in reply to #975455)

true tiger tamer - 2/17/2021 1:16 PM

Italy has another really cool trout called a Pucchi trout, a brown with huge red or orange spots, they look photoshopped. I've fished with Cicciospin and was fortunately lucky enough to catch a small southern pike and several northerns including a 41" northern that had a huge girth, it was built like a super heavy muskie. He's also caught big wels catfish and zander in his pursuit of pike and really knows his stuff.

Yeah, the Puccinis are awesome looking fish. Wish I could do a fish/hunt trip over in Europe but mostly visiting, sightseeing and imbibing in food and drink when over there, and typically only two or three weeks at a time. Having a fisheries background of course very interested in all the native fish whenever I go over there. Bucket list of species would include the wels, but also European grayling and actually barbels.

Of course the Huchen (Danube salmon), is one that probably many haven't heard of - likely both you guys have and kind of Europe's Taimen equivalent. Surprised J. Wade hasn't done a show on it, even if he doesn't catch any would up it's conservation status.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31988139

Edited by Angling Oracle 2/17/2021 2:13 PM
Cicciospin
Posted 2/17/2021 4:38 PM (#975481 - in reply to #975205)

this is the 41" caught by Danny in Italy ... (seeing Danny with that pike in his hand really thrilled me)
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/vgR9qw1J/IMG-20190504-110612.jpg[/img]

about the barbels I caught them in the river Po with rapala countdown of 3 and 4 "... they are what we call Spanish barbels ... much bigger than the native barbel and extremely combative ... wels are now found in almost all of our waters and I usually like to do night fishing trips to this super predator using topwaters dedicated to musky such as toprider, creepers or homemade wtd
Angling Oracle
Posted 2/18/2021 8:41 AM (#975521 - in reply to #975481)

Cicciospin - 2/17/2021 4:38 PM

this is the 41" caught by Danny in Italy ... (seeing Danny with that pike in his hand really thrilled me)

about the barbels I caught them in the river Po with rapala countdown of 3 and 4 "... they are what we call Spanish barbels ... much bigger than the native barbel and extremely combative ... wels are now found in almost all of our waters and I usually like to do night fishing trips to this super predator using topwaters dedicated to musky such as toprider, creepers or homemade wtd

Nice Pike.

That's unfortunate that all that stuff is being introduced there, probably by those tourists from the north as per what happened in Spain (or perhaps folks trying to replicate the fishing tourist influx that they have in Spain).

Wasn't thinking Spanish barbels but the clearwater common ones that you can get in streams on the fly - I guess none of them are that handsome looking but those spanish ones very carp like- I see they get pretty big too. The fact they are taking lures like that doesn't bode well for the native species. Likewise with introduced Wels. Cool to get them topwater like that though.

Edited by Angling Oracle 2/18/2021 8:46 AM
true tiger tamer
Posted 2/18/2021 11:03 AM (#975536 - in reply to #975205)

I think Wade has done a show about huchen the European version of a taimen. They are very rare, I use to correspond with a Polish angler who fished often that had only caught one huchen in his entire life. When he caught it he said he was treated as a celebrity. Jeremy's show I believe involved a private grower who released some into the wild regularly much like the sturgeon guy did. He believed most were being eaten by wels.
Cicciospin
Posted 2/18/2021 1:33 PM (#975561 - in reply to #975521)

Angling Oracle - 2/18/2021 3:41 PM

Cicciospin - 2/17/2021 4:38 PM

Nice Pike.

That's unfortunate that all that stuff is being introduced there, probably by those tourists from the north as per what happened in Spain (or perhaps folks trying to replicate the fishing tourist influx that they have in Spain).

Wasn't thinking Spanish barbels but the clearwater common ones that you can get in streams on the fly - I guess none of them are that handsome looking but those spanish ones very carp like- I see they get pretty big too. The fact they are taking lures like that doesn't bode well for the native species. Likewise with introduced Wels. Cool to get them topwater like that though.

the wels in Italy has been present for many years, it was introduced accidentally and over time it spread ... as regards the presence of native species in the Po, for the most part they are all alien species especially in the stretch downstream of the Ticino river since the pollution rate is quite high ... in this area up to the mouth mainly allochthonous species dominate ... in the stretch upstream of the Ticino there are still many native species
Angling Oracle
Posted 2/18/2021 1:58 PM (#975563 - in reply to #975536)

true tiger tamer - 2/18/2021 11:03 AM

I think Wade has done a show about huchen the European version of a taimen. They are very rare, I use to correspond with a Polish angler who fished often that had only caught one huchen in his entire life. When he caught it he said he was treated as a celebrity. Jeremy's show I believe involved a private grower who released some into the wild regularly much like the sturgeon guy did. He believed most were being eaten by wels.

Yes, now I see he did in season one which not sure why I've never seen. Will have to check it out. The Danube I'm familiar with is by Ulm where my wife's mom lives - the Iller comes in there and both of the rivers look full of fish: trout/grayling and barbels especially obviously in the fast clear, Iller, and likely pike some warmer water species in the Danube.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)