Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Building a YouTube channel

Message Subject: Building a YouTube channel
OH Musky
Posted 2/14/2021 6:29 AM (#975233 - in reply to #975109)
Subject: Re: Building a YouTube channel

One thing that will have me stopping a video more than anything else is the overuse of music. Either the wrong kind or the volume drowning out what the speaker is saying. Music can be a good filler but doesn't need to be none stop especially if you have good info you're trying to convey. Even Keyes, as good as his videos are, overdubs the music at times to the point you can't understand what he's saying. He's definitely got a lot better, though.

Get quality microphones that block the wind noise. Seeing your lips move with nothing but the wind is not worth watching, unless you're pulling in 50"ers on every cast. Some want to get "creative " and turn the camera side to side while filming a retrieve or a net job. Why? Must be a "cool" factor thing but detracts from the video. I'm not saying don't get creative, you need to set your videos apart from all the other 1000's of channels out there. But don't make it childish in appearance an editing.

Just my 2 cents from the comfort of my living room recliner while waiting for the weather to break.
chasintails
Posted 2/14/2021 10:28 AM (#975236 - in reply to #975109)

I think a lot of guys leave out critical information to fishing videos, water temps, time of year, why your fishing a particular spot, how the spot sets up, I'm more interested in the why of how you approach a spot versus just watching you fish it. Musky strikes are cool and must be included, but teaching or describing the why shouldn't be overlooked.
pstrombe
Posted 2/14/2021 10:30 AM (#975237 - in reply to #975109)

Steve and others have correctly identified there is no money in You Tube videos. I have spoken at length with a couple well know musky You Tubers and they shrug it off but indicate it is an important tool to build their brand albeit lure dales or guiding.
That being said I would form an LLC and start expensing your fishing trips. You can form an LLC online for $75 to $150 depending on which provider you select. You can probably expense this to the max for a couple years than simply fold the business after 3 years.
curdmudgeon
Posted 2/15/2021 10:13 PM (#975336 - in reply to #975109)

setup your own website and maintain full creative and copyright control of your material. Y/T is almost unbearable now with commercials and woketard politics. They can demonetize you or deplatform in 0.00001 sec if someone complains or finds some "offense" in your social media past. Today in the middle of a political video, Y/T jammed a "lets talk about your poop" commercial. Y/T just sucks in every way possible.

Edited by curdmudgeon 2/15/2021 10:16 PM
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/15/2021 10:17 PM (#975337 - in reply to #975109)

Whether you're bass or anit-bass, watch a few Tactical bassin shows. These guys have it all figured out imo.
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/15/2021 10:36 PM (#975339 - in reply to #975233)

OH Musky - 2/14/2021 7:29 AM

One thing that will have me stopping a video more than anything else is the overuse of music. Either the wrong kind or the volume drowning out what the speaker is saying. Music can be a good filler but doesn't need to be none stop especially if you have good info you're trying to convey. Even Keyes, as good as his videos are, overdubs the music at times to the point you can't understand what he's saying. He's definitely got a lot better, though.

Get quality microphones that block the wind noise. Seeing your lips move with nothing but the wind is not worth watching, unless you're pulling in 50"ers on every cast. Some want to get "creative " and turn the camera side to side while filming a retrieve or a net job. Why? Must be a "cool" factor thing but detracts from the video. I'm not saying don't get creative, you need to set your videos apart from all the other 1000's of channels out there. But don't make it childish in appearance an editing.

Just my 2 cents from the comfort of my living room recliner while waiting for the weather to break.

I have ordered a mic with a wind shield and I cannot wait to try it, I can agree that that is something that will be essential going forward. I will keep the music tip in mind and adjust my future videos accordingly! Thank you for taking the time to respond, good luck this season!
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/15/2021 10:37 PM (#975340 - in reply to #975236)

chasintails - 2/14/2021 11:28 AM

I think a lot of guys leave out critical information to fishing videos, water temps, time of year, why your fishing a particular spot, how the spot sets up, I'm more interested in the why of how you approach a spot versus just watching you fish it. Musky strikes are cool and must be included, but teaching or describing the why shouldn't be overlooked.

I like this. I actually got a notebook to record data such as this so I can go go back and add this into my videos via text to let the viewer know exactly what was going on when the catch was happening. thank you for the tip and good luck this season!
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/15/2021 10:41 PM (#975341 - in reply to #975237)

pstrombe - 2/14/2021 11:30 AM

Steve and others have correctly identified there is no money in You Tube videos. I have spoken at length with a couple well know musky You Tubers and they shrug it off but indicate it is an important tool to build their brand albeit lure dales or guiding.
That being said I would form an LLC and start expensing your fishing trips. You can form an LLC online for $75 to $150 depending on which provider you select. You can probably expense this to the max for a couple years than simply fold the business after 3 years.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I am just trying to build the channel for education and just for entertainment for people who enjoy the sport. The chances of actually going viral are slim to none haha it is just a hobby that I enjoy.
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/15/2021 10:42 PM (#975342 - in reply to #975337)

Masqui-ninja - 2/15/2021 11:17 PM

Whether you're bass or anit-bass, watch a few Tactical bassin shows. These guys have it all figured out imo.

For sure man I definitely will look into their page and check them out!
anderj85
Posted 2/16/2021 12:50 PM (#975372 - in reply to #975109)

I like Tom Boley's videos, I think he does a good job of explaining what he's doing, etc. instead of just showing a video of him fishing. His walleye videos in particular are filled with information. IMO that would be a good channel to check out for inspiration/ideas, but make it your own.
jb51
Posted 2/17/2021 9:29 AM (#975428 - in reply to #975109)
Subject: RE: Building a YouTube channel

Women, good looking, fit, bikini’s, not talking, no children, no take a “whatever “ fishing. Babes, babes and more babes.
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/17/2021 11:38 AM (#975447 - in reply to #975372)

anderj85 - 2/16/2021 1:50 PM

I like Tom Boley's videos, I think he does a good job of explaining what he's doing, etc. instead of just showing a video of him fishing. His walleye videos in particular are filled with information. IMO that would be a good channel to check out for inspiration/ideas, but make it your own.

I enjoy Toms channel! Instead of filling my videos with pointless clips i will be sure to take that time to add educational and informational things into the content. Good luck this season!
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/17/2021 11:39 AM (#975448 - in reply to #975428)

jb51 - 2/17/2021 10:29 AM

Women, good looking, fit, bikini’s, not talking, no children, no take a “whatever “ fishing. Babes, babes and more babes.

hahahahah I will do my best!! I'll have to make sure she can net a fish Best of luck this season!!
14ledo81
Posted 2/17/2021 2:37 PM (#975467 - in reply to #975448)

Mulldaddy - 2/17/2021 11:39 AM

jb51 - 2/17/2021 10:29 AM

hahahahah I will do my best!! I'll have to make sure she can net a fish Best of luck this season!!

This may seem like he was joking (and he may have been somewhat), but if you can have a decent looking female (especially in the thumbnail) it will make a difference.
Dcofish7
Posted 2/18/2021 8:08 PM (#975581 - in reply to #975109)

I would only make them 5-8 minutes. I love watching fishing videos but I scroll right on by most that are longer than that.
North of 8
Posted 2/19/2021 2:08 PM (#975623 - in reply to #975109)

Something I thought of when responding on another thread about videos by The Sonar Doc. I bought one hid DVDs when I bought my Lowrance SI and he gives great information but he adds just a touch of humor, such as when he shows a SI screen shot of a boulder field, but says "and no (friend's name), I am not going to tell you where this is at. Find it yourself." Humor helps.
Cicciospin
Posted 2/19/2021 2:16 PM (#975624 - in reply to #975127)

FlyPiker - 2/11/2021 10:50 PM

https://youtu.be/P3xurz28eHY You’ll have to wade through some general BS, but there is some solid info here. The thing that struck me the most, you are basically selling your personality. Good example, I dig Uncut Angling and Today’s Angler cuz I enjoy the anglers. I find them entertaining and they do present usable information, sometimes. The Googan anglers... I have very little patience for basically any of them. They do not get my views.

together with the MKO channel they are the ones I prefer ... I also like Burning Eight .... my only advice is try to see how successful YouTube channels are structured and take a cue ... but DO NOT copy them, try to be original to try to stand out
KentuckyMuskie
Posted 2/19/2021 5:23 PM (#975640 - in reply to #975109)

I work with a guy who runs a successful Youtube fishing channel. I think several of his fishing videos have over a million hits. Of course, after watching some of them, you can see why he has so many viewers. He takes several different girls out fishing with him. His channel is called Hook Line and Chill.

He is a good guy and I'm glad to see him doing well. Good luck with your channel also!
madmurph
Posted 3/2/2021 9:48 AM (#976299 - in reply to #975109)

My personal opinions only based upon what I like and dislike while watching YouTube videos:

I drink and swear, but I don't like YouTube videos with guys drinking and swearing. It just doesn't appear professional to me in those circumstances.

Music is good at the beginning and end. I don't like music throughout the video.

Keep it short. It's not a TV show. 10-20 minutes max.

No click bait on the thumbnail photo or in the titles.

Edited by madmurph 3/2/2021 9:50 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)