Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Building a YouTube channel

Message Subject: Building a YouTube channel
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/11/2021 10:52 AM (#975109)
Subject: Building a YouTube channel

Hello,

My name is David and I am an avid angler and outdoorsman. I am working on building a YouTube channel. I was curious as to what kind of content I can incorporate into my videos that any of you may be interested in aside from fishing action. Is there anything you guys like to see like “how tos” or any sort of educational stuff? Just looking for ideas from different places.

Thanks again,
David
Brian Hoffies
Posted 2/11/2021 11:35 AM (#975111 - in reply to #975109)
Subject: Re: Building a YouTube channel

1st, we all know how You Tube works. Keep the begging for clicks, likes, subs to once a video.
Use quality equipment. Camera's, microphones, editing software.
Focus on one aspect. If your thing is Muskies do Muskie videos. I don't need to see you doing Walleyes. Focus and be good.
Keep them short. I think You Tube suggests 15-20 minutes.

My recommendation is shoot several videos and edit them. Practice your craft BEFORE you post them. Nobody (at least me) ever goes back twice to be tortured. Personally I also hate the guys who use forums like this to only pump a video and then vanish until the next video. Get involved with the community and you have a better chance of getting me to take a look.
My last bit of advice. A channel is like a business. Treat it as such. Don't dress like a slob be swearing, drinking and making a ass out of yourself. There are enough of those people around already. Oh, and don't be a drama queen.

Good luck, if you really want to be good people will find you.
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/11/2021 11:51 AM (#975112 - in reply to #975111)

Thank you for the well thought out response. That means a lot that you took the time to do that and I appreciate that a ton! I will for sure focus on those key points that you have mentioned and incorporate those going forward, good luck this season!
North of 8
Posted 2/11/2021 12:04 PM (#975113 - in reply to #975112)

Brian offered great advice. One suggestion I would have is to be precise, not vague in giving instructions. I bought a new Ranger 900 about 2 years ago, and the Polaris YouTube videos are very good. Short, well shot and precise, i.e., here are exactly the tools you will need to change the oil right down to the metric hex socket size needed.
Warn winch had similar quality videos for installing their winch on a UTV.
All the best in your venture. I really appreciate quality YouTube videos. Some have saved me a lot of time,trial and error in the wood shop or working on equipment like my utv.
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/11/2021 12:17 PM (#975114 - in reply to #975113)

I appreciate your response! I have a few how to videos in mind for boat maintenance, so I will definitely keep that in mind when I go to film and I will use those tips in my future videos! Good luck this season!
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/11/2021 12:28 PM (#975115 - in reply to #975109)

You've got some great advice already. I would also say, make sure and have fun. It's okay to be excited when you catch a fish, or make a great cast. If you are genuinely passionate, people will root for you.
MartinTD
Posted 2/11/2021 1:54 PM (#975117 - in reply to #975115)

Masqui-ninja - 2/11/2021 12:28 PM

You've got some great advice already. I would also say, make sure and have fun. It's okay to be excited when you catch a fish, or make a great cast. If you are genuinely passionate, people will root for you.

This is a good point. Mike Keyes is a prime example of this and it's hard not to feel his excitement when he gets one in the bag.
medy
Posted 2/11/2021 3:47 PM (#975126 - in reply to #975109)

Learn how to shoot good B roll footage
FlyPiker
Posted 2/11/2021 3:50 PM (#975127 - in reply to #975109)

https://youtu.be/P3xurz28eHY You’ll have to wade through some general BS, but there is some solid info here. The thing that struck me the most, you are basically selling your personality. Good example, I dig Uncut Angling and Today’s Angler cuz I enjoy the anglers. I find them entertaining and they do present usable information, sometimes. The Googan anglers... I have very little patience for basically any of them. They do not get my views.
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/11/2021 4:00 PM (#975128 - in reply to #975115)

Masqui-ninja - 2/11/2021 1:28 PM

For sure man! I definitely don’t want to get so caught up into it to where I don’t have the same passion for it. I enjoy it so much! Thanks for the response!!
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/11/2021 4:02 PM (#975129 - in reply to #975117)

MartinTD - 2/11/2021 2:54 PM

Masqui-ninja - 2/11/2021 12:28 PM

This is a good point. Mike Keyes is a prime example of this and it's hard not to feel his excitement when he gets one in the bag.

I really enjoy mikes videos so I feel you on that! I hope I can bring that same excitement and entertainment to people!
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/11/2021 4:03 PM (#975130 - in reply to #975126)

medy - 2/11/2021 4:47 PM

For sure man! Definitely working on that, and also working with a guy know who edits the videos. Thanks for the tip!
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/11/2021 4:05 PM (#975131 - in reply to #975126)

medy - 2/11/2021 4:47 PM

For sure man! Definitely working on that, and also working with a guy know who edits the videos. Thanks for the tip!
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/11/2021 4:08 PM (#975132 - in reply to #975127)

FlyPiker - 2/11/2021 4:50 PM

https://youtu.be/P3xurz28eHY You’ll have to wade through some general BS, but there is some solid info here. The thing that struck me the most, you are basically selling your personality. Good example, I dig Uncut Angling and Today’s Angler cuz I enjoy the anglers. I find them entertaining and they do present usable information, sometimes. The Googan anglers... I have very little patience for basically any of them. They do not get my views.

For sure I hear you guys on that! You definitely want to represent yourself professionally. I also dislike the googans haha so I know exactly what you mean there as well. Thanks for chiming in and good luck this season!
Brian Hoffies
Posted 2/11/2021 5:10 PM (#975136 - in reply to #975109)

Don't be phony and over sell things.
Muskyrookie
Posted 2/11/2021 8:08 PM (#975146 - in reply to #975136)

First off I hope you are legit and good luck! I know some ideas I'd like to watch on videos. I'm kinda an information junkie, and just getting my feet wet with these brutes and I love learning new stuff to get better.

What I would like to see is someone show a map of the lake or river, talk about their game plan interacting with the map using examples ( might not want to give away the good spots), tell time of year, day and weather should be obvious but elaborate on if it's the 3rd straight day of blue bird or 1st day after a week of storms etc... explain why those lures are your choice and why others are not, why those colors etc.. little quirks on working a bait a certain way. Treat me (the audience) as if we are friends and you are showing me something for the first time.

I love watching tutorials on YouTube. I watch alot of them while doing dishes, going through my fishing gear, doing other chores, and even watch them to go to sleep like how people read books. Their is about 8 different ones I follow for fishing already and always look out for more lol I watch everything from fishing, motorcycle, diy projects, scientific, and more. The thing that keeps me following a certain entity the most is if they are actually teaching me anything! I personally won't waste my time watching videos that I can't learn anything from. I definitely won't watch videos of goof balls either lol

Depending on how serious you want this to be will ultimately determine how successful you will be. Remember why shows like the Lindner's, Bill dance, Jimmy Houston, etc... have had a following for over 30 years. I have no idea of your fishing experience or skills so I would say to be sure and listen to what the people who watch your videos actually want to see. Good luck

sworrall
Posted 2/11/2021 8:10 PM (#975147 - in reply to #975109)

Here's the daily estimate from this link:https://influencermarketinghub.com/youtube-money-calculator/

And then YouTube takes their cut. Income is about $4.18 per thousand views. A million views will gross you $4180 a year.

The additional money in it for the aggressive promoter is to convince sponsors the reach is enough to pay significant money for the impressions. I see proposals in my position from fledgling muskie 'experts' shooting videos, gathering other anglers' content together and calling it theirs, or whatever the scheme is. I see absolutely ridiculous claims of numbers pretty regularly. Co-owning OFM, I know what numbers make sense and what don't. One thing for sure, never over-inflate your stats in a proposal. Those who have been in this for a long time will know and that's bad.

Some one has to drive to the water, fish all day for a couple days, buy high quality cameras, have someone to shoot or use multiple camera fixed positions, edit down the video, produce it, and publish it. Gotta stay somewhere and eat something. Insure everything. Stay in your truck, and eat fast food, work really hard to get out a video per week, own a boat that doesn't guzzle gas or cost $800 a month, get 100000 views on every one and you make around $22K gross.

You would have to get 400000 views on each video from You Tube to cover costs and make enough to live if my math is correct.

To an advertiser/sponsor in the right sector add maybe, if your content sells well, .50 per 1000 impressions and make another $11500 gross. Get a couple solid sponsors and you are on your way, but you will work very hard, spend little time at home, and spend a ton of money on the road (average of $144 a day).

Sell well made lures you make, do the video thing, do seminars and guide some, mix it all up and it can be OK.

Always ask any platform (in advance) you 'promote/advertise' on for permission, they generally are not keen on allowing someone to chase folks off their platform where they have worked hard to sell their impressions to go look at yours. In our case, we have figured out a way for you to get your YouTube views by watching your video right here on OFM so all anyone needs to do is ask, avoiding having the post deleted because of a spamming attempt. Not only that, but the Facebook algorithm doesn't see the YouTube link, so if you share the piece to your timeline, your audience will see it more often, and maybe, if it's good, we'll share to our 6 to 10 Facebook muskie pages. Amazing, you don't have to do anything, and you won't be re-branded or used to promote someone else's sponsors. All anyone needs to do is drop us an email or message with the YouTube link and we'll decide whether to publish. Most often we will. Anyone who wants our audience to see a YouTube video just needs to submit the link to us. Here's what it looks like:

WATCH VIDEO, CLICK HERE

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Untitled.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Untitled.jpg (43KB - 292 downloads)
sworrall
Posted 2/11/2021 11:03 PM (#975152 - in reply to #975109)

As far as advice, keep the editing simple and clean, keep any intro that is not relevant VERY short, and if the action in the video takes 3 minutes, don't try to make it take 5. Best not to ask folks to subscribe on-screen (everyone already knows you want that) or go into what you may or may not do in the next video, just do it, make clean, interesting video with whatever 'hook' you wish (education, tips, advice, etc) and folks will watch them and we will publish them, cranking up your views.
ToddM
Posted 2/11/2021 11:29 PM (#975153 - in reply to #975109)

If you are going to hide anything you are doing then don't bother. I was watching a few musky vids yesterday that divulged nothing. I didn't see the point of making the video.
happy hooker
Posted 2/12/2021 3:15 AM (#975154 - in reply to #975153)

don't name your whatever some extreme over the top ridiculous title,,

Helo this is Buzzinga Bob,, from lightning strike gonzo phase magnum buzz power wimp tasarface buzzkill jolt thunder cow outdoors!!!!
sponsored by Charmin

Edited by happy hooker 2/12/2021 3:43 AM
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/12/2021 9:28 AM (#975159 - in reply to #975152)

sworrall - 2/12/2021 12:03 AM

As far as advice, keep the editing simple and clean, keep any intro that is not relevant VERY short, and if the action in the video takes 3 minutes, don't try to make it take 5. Best not to ask folks to subscribe on-screen (everyone already knows you want that) or go into what you may or may not do in the next video, just do it, make clean, interesting video with whatever 'hook' you wish (education, tips, advice, etc) and folks will watch them and we will publish them, cranking up your views.

Thank you so much for both of your in depth responses! I really appreciate that information and advice and that helps out a lot. Going forward I will be sure to keep these things in mind when filming and creating new content!
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/12/2021 9:30 AM (#975160 - in reply to #975153)

ToddM - 2/12/2021 12:29 AM

If you are going to hide anything you are doing then don't bother. I was watching a few musky vids yesterday that divulged nothing. I didn't see the point of making the video.

thank you for your response and I will be sure to keep this in mind. I have some bait tweaks i'd like to show off in videos and ill explain why I do these and why I feel it works for me!
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/12/2021 9:31 AM (#975161 - in reply to #975154)

happy hooker - 2/12/2021 4:15 AM

don't name your whatever some extreme over the top ridiculous title,,

Helo this is Buzzinga Bob,, from lightning strike gonzo phase magnum buzz power wimp tasarface buzzkill jolt thunder cow outdoors!!!!
sponsored by Charmin

hahaha for sure, I will keep it short and sweet! thanks for chiming in and good luck this season!
ToddM
Posted 2/12/2021 11:03 AM (#975167 - in reply to #975160)

Mulldaddy - 2/12/2021 9:30 AM

ToddM - 2/12/2021 12:29 AM

thank you for your response and I will be sure to keep this in mind. I have some bait tweaks i'd like to show off in videos and ill explain why I do these and why I feel it works for me!

That is a perfect reason FOR making a video. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction.

One other piece of advice don't spam every musky FB page asking to subscribe. I won't even click to watch them. I would bet the videos are more about them which is a waste of my time.

Edited by ToddM 2/12/2021 11:05 AM
Shroomskie
Posted 2/12/2021 6:17 PM (#975177 - in reply to #975109)

I only watch YouTube fishing videos when the title catches my eye. I don't really promote myself viewing someones else videos to make them a dollar but I do enjoy awesome titles haha
sukrchukr
Posted 2/12/2021 9:08 PM (#975180 - in reply to #975109)

My suggestion, and its only my opinion.... try to show proper handling of the fish please. Ive quit watching most of the muskie channels now, after seeing every fish netted needing to be boarded for an exact measurement....Ive seen fish under 30" on a board! Some people that are watching the vids are for entertainment, and some will be learning from you as well.... and boarding EVERY fish is really not necessary, and could be teaching some bad habits.... does it really matter if the fish is 34" or 37" etc.......?? just ballpark it and get it released asap. If you feel the need to board the fish, maybe edit that part out and just say "hey, that was about a __" fish"...or say nothing at all about the size...... just let ppl enjoy the chase and the fight...........
I guess one other thing is, I hope you have some thick skin, b/c no matter what you say or do...someone is gonna give you grief in the comment section

Edited by sukrchukr 2/12/2021 9:17 PM
Windy City
Posted 2/12/2021 9:58 PM (#975183 - in reply to #975109)

Find a real job
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/14/2021 12:12 AM (#975230 - in reply to #975177)

Shroomskie - 2/12/2021 7:17 PM

I only watch YouTube fishing videos when the title catches my eye. I don't really promote myself viewing someones else videos to make them a dollar but I do enjoy awesome titles haha

Haha I’ll keep that in mind!
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/14/2021 12:14 AM (#975231 - in reply to #975180)

sukrchukr - 2/12/2021 10:08 PM

My suggestion, and its only my opinion.... try to show proper handling of the fish please. Ive quit watching most of the muskie channels now, after seeing every fish netted needing to be boarded for an exact measurement....Ive seen fish under 30" on a board! Some people that are watching the vids are for entertainment, and some will be learning from you as well.... and boarding EVERY fish is really not necessary, and could be teaching some bad habits.... does it really matter if the fish is 34" or 37" etc.......?? just ballpark it and get it released asap. If you feel the need to board the fish, maybe edit that part out and just say "hey, that was about a __" fish"...or say nothing at all about the size...... just let ppl enjoy the chase and the fight...........
I guess one other thing is, I hope you have some thick skin, b/c no matter what you say or do...someone is gonna give you grief in the comment section

Haha definitely man, you can’t please everyone! But yes fish handling is very important, and that will be something I address this season on my channel! Good luck this season!
Mulldaddy
Posted 2/14/2021 12:15 AM (#975232 - in reply to #975183)

Windy City - 2/12/2021 10:58 PM

Find a real job

Haha funny you say that I have a full time job bud, YouTube is a hobby. I hope you have a killer season man! Good luck!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)