Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Michigan Muskie lakes

Message Subject: Michigan Muskie lakes
jasonvkop
Posted 2/19/2021 12:59 PM (#975620 - in reply to #975613)
Subject: Re: Michigan Muskie lakes

ToddM - 2/19/2021 12:11 PM

CincySkeez - 2/19/2021 10:52 AM

The UP is weird, specifically the western UP. I think of it as two different fisheries- Lake Superior water shed and lake michigan watershed. If I remember correctly most of the lakes in Western UP were stocked with Wisconsin Strain/Northern Muskellunge. The Lake Michigan watershed had low density natural populations that are closer genetic relatives to the Great Lakes strain that the DNR is stocking Lake Michigan tributaries with.

Aside from LVD and Cisco Chain the only waters that were really "managed" for musky were Emily and Chicaugon.

Yeah that was my point. I would have t think if they managed the lakes more aggressively it would attract many anglers. There are some spots I see on google maps that look special.

Michigan just isn't a huge hotspot for muskies unfortunately. We have some pretty good regulations with 46"-50" size limits on a lot of waters and a 1 fish/season keep limit across the state. However, there still are a lot of fish kept during open water periods and through the ice (non-tribal spearing is allowed for muskies). That being said, I think we have a handful of world class fisheries, other than LSC, which produce ~55" fish year after year. Michigan is still a walleye/salmon/steelhead state with lots of 'tradition' with catch and kill.
CincySkeez
Posted 2/19/2021 3:51 PM (#975630 - in reply to #975620)

Extremely well put Jason.
North of 8
Posted 2/19/2021 4:40 PM (#975637 - in reply to #975630)

Seems like Michigamee Reservoir would be a prime candidate for increasing musky production, fishing. The story I heard when I lived about 20 miles from there was that it was not a lack of interest on the part of the MDNR, but rather active opposition from walleye fishermen. Again, while it was, hearsay, the story was that they felt the walleye guys would catch and kill musky, regardless of size. Kind of like Winnebago where the walleye people discuss the simplest way to "gill" a musky, put it back in the lake like you are releasing it but insuring its demise.
Ranger
Posted 2/19/2021 9:26 PM (#975660 - in reply to #974927)

If you knew my real name and looked me up on the Michigan Master Angler database you would find me few times. I was honest about everything except where I caught the fish. Regarding the location, I lied Every. Single. Time. They caught me once when I made up a name of a lake, got a letter saying I couldn't get my patch unless it was a recognized public water in the State. I called Lansing and plead guilty of lying and asked if I could resubmit my paperwork. They agreed and I resubmitted and got my patch. But in my resubmission I lied about the location again!
North of 8
Posted 2/19/2021 9:53 PM (#975663 - in reply to #975660)

Ranger - 2/19/2021 9:26 PM

If you knew my real name and looked me up on the Michigan Master Angler database you would find me few times. I was honest about everything except where I caught the fish. Regarding the location, I lied Every. Single. Time. They caught me once when I made up a name of a lake, got a letter saying I couldn't get my patch unless it was a recognized public water in the State. I called Lansing and plead guilty of lying and asked if I could resubmit my paperwork. They agreed and I resubmitted and got my patch. But in my resubmission I lied about the location again!

That's funny! Guy I worked with did that with trout. When he submitted, he named a different river or stream from where he actually caught the fish. I always wondered how many folks did just that.
true tiger tamer
Posted 2/20/2021 12:54 PM (#975697 - in reply to #974927)

Sir;
Living in Wyoming means I usually have a five hour drive or more to fish for muskies or tigers, so traveling from the east to the west side of the UP isn't a big deal. I usually shore or wade fish for them. Are there any places with muskies with public access that would be fishable from shore or waders? Thanks for the previous replies and hopefully any new ones.
ToddM
Posted 2/20/2021 1:20 PM (#975702 - in reply to #975697)

Aren't there a few tiger lakes in wyoming?

Edited by ToddM 2/20/2021 1:21 PM
true tiger tamer
Posted 2/21/2021 2:28 PM (#975750 - in reply to #974927)

There are a few, I caught a tiger I stocked from a lake about 20 minutes from my house. Unfortunately, most Wyoming fisheries haven't been around long enough or have very low densities, so big fish are rarely encountered. I spend a lot of time fishing in Utah where the closest lakes are around 5 hours away, and 1 is 8 hours. My nearest purebred lake is 8 hours away in Nebraska, thus my desire for big fish requires a long drive. My cancer has slowed me down some but I still probably make at least a half dozen to double digit trips a year. I have some payouts for these trips as Utah has given me 2, 50" or bigger tigers along with a couple 4 footers, and Nebraska has given me a 50" and a 4 foot purebred. All have been caught wading or from shore except 1, 48 inch tiger I caught from a kayak. So travel isn't a big deal when it involves muskie fishing.
CincySkeez
Posted 2/22/2021 9:09 AM (#975794 - in reply to #975750)

true tiger tamer - 2/21/2021 2:28 PM

There are a few, I caught a tiger I stocked from a lake about 20 minutes from my house. Unfortunately, most Wyoming fisheries haven't been around long enough or have very low densities, so big fish are rarely encountered. I spend a lot of time fishing in Utah where the closest lakes are around 5 hours away, and 1 is 8 hours. My nearest purebred lake is 8 hours away in Nebraska, thus my desire for big fish requires a long drive. My cancer has slowed me down some but I still probably make at least a half dozen to double digit trips a year. I have some payouts for these trips as Utah has given me 2, 50" or bigger tigers along with a couple 4 footers, and Nebraska has given me a 50" and a 4 foot purebred. All have been caught wading or from shore except 1, 48 inch tiger I caught from a kayak. So travel isn't a big deal when it involves muskie fishing.

Fair enough, best wading for musky would be in the Crystal Falls area. Lots of public access, quite a few dams to fish below and quite a few wadeable stretches north and west of town.
true tiger tamer
Posted 2/23/2021 8:40 PM (#975871 - in reply to #974927)

Thank you for the replies as I live for muskies literally and figuratively. Danny
Cedar
Posted 2/25/2021 12:55 AM (#975973 - in reply to #974998)

MD75 - 2/8/2021 7:14 PM

Ranger - 2/8/2021 3:37 PM

What part of MI do you want to fish?

The U.P.

MD75 The U.P. is a pretty decent sized chunk of real estate. Did you have a specific area that you were considering, or just looking at the U.P. in general?
Cedar
Posted 2/25/2021 1:16 AM (#975975 - in reply to #975620)

It would be good if MI did take Musky management/fishing in the State to the next level, and beyond. An actual compilation of lakes & rivers that have fishable populations (just in the Western U.P. alone) would probably have 30-50%+ more than current published DNR lists.
MD75
Posted 2/25/2021 7:28 AM (#975979 - in reply to #975973)

Cedar - 2/25/2021 12:55 AM

The U.P.

MD75 The U.P. is a pretty decent sized chunk of real estate. Did you have a specific area that you were considering, or just looking at the U.P. in general?

I usually fish the north east section of Vilas co. Wi. So my initial impulse is to fish lakes right over the border in that area and then expand from there...Thanks!
CincySkeez
Posted 2/25/2021 8:41 AM (#975984 - in reply to #975979)

MD75 - 2/25/2021 7:28 AM

I usually fish the north east section of Vilas co. Wi. So my initial impulse is to fish lakes right over the border in that area and then expand from there...Thanks!

This is a good plan, some good action lakes that way.
Cedar
Posted 2/25/2021 8:58 AM (#975985 - in reply to #975979)

MD75 - 2/25/2021 7:28 AM

Cedar - 2/25/2021 12:55 AM

The U.P.

There are quite a few good Musky lakes in that immediate area on both sides of the border. PM me if you'd like, and we'll try to get you started on some.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)