Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Moving spots during a moon phase

Message Subject: Moving spots during a moon phase
Rwin4000
Posted 1/25/2021 7:45 PM (#974378)
Subject: Moving spots during a moon phase

Last trip to Canada (good ol days) we we were really focusing on moon phases and biometrics and made sure we were on a “spot” during potentially peak times. After about 20 mins, I suggested we move to another, knowing we would eat into our possible “peak” time. I figured it was better to try a new spot but he thought the timing was more important. How long do you stay in a spot (assuming it has yielded action in the past), before you move on during a peak phase? How much do you let moon etc influence moving or not?
esox109
Posted 1/26/2021 2:14 AM (#974386 - in reply to #974378)
Subject: Re: Moving spots during a moon phase

For me every lake is different in it's idiosyncracies including moon phases and it can change not only from lake to lake but from year to year. I've had lakes where I could call my shot as soon as the moon cleared the trees or fell below the trees and another lake the next day that fish would not show up until an hour after a moon phase and of course another lake where it didn't matter what the moon was doing. In my opinion I would stay on that good producing spot for at least an hour maybe two after the moon phase to see if there is a certain time frame from the moon that they come out to play. Once you find that out it you can reproduce it the rest of the week.
IAJustin
Posted 1/26/2021 7:08 AM (#974388 - in reply to #974386)

The lakes I fish in Canada have hundreds of great spots, I’m certainly not camping on one because of moon phase only... if you recently raised the “one” and moon phase is approaching maybe a little extra time..action in the past, well okay? I’m looking for action now... many good spots in Canada hold multiple fish and I’m moving if nothing is happening, great spot come back at a weather change or last light, two factor much more reliable than the moon

Edited by IAJustin 1/26/2021 7:13 AM
ToddM
Posted 1/26/2021 8:50 AM (#974393 - in reply to #974378)

It would have to be a pretty big spot or have a really big fish in order to camp. Stick to an area in those run and gun type scenarios where there are multiple spots close so you are not wasting time. If you are fishing smaller type lakes like indiana has you are more or less In camping type situations.
RJ_692
Posted 1/26/2021 9:31 AM (#974396 - in reply to #974378)

i ask myself this..."are they here and not active?" or "if they are not here now...where are they?". If they are here and not active, im going to work the area good. if they are not here now, then they are not too far away. in either case im not running anywhere during a time i think there should be activity. be it moon, sun or otherwise.

that being said. i think i have faired better when fishing fish that are moving during moon, than when fishing moon hoping fish are moving
Masqui-ninja
Posted 1/26/2021 9:51 AM (#974397 - in reply to #974378)

Yeah, it depends on how dialed in you are at the time...is this your only fish? If there is another spot likely to produce, then it's time to go.
Angling Oracle
Posted 1/26/2021 10:17 AM (#974398 - in reply to #974378)

The bottom line is peak time best to be on a spot that has known fish or potential for several fish and multiple holding positions/structures. There is nothing wrong with placating a theory of your friend though, and then you can test one of yours. I personally don't think the moon phase itself has anything to do with turning muskie on or off directly, but moon activity does affect other parts of the aquatic ecology that may (ie bug hatches, zooplankton movements which may turn on feeding of muskie prey and hence muskie themselves). A bit of dice roll in my opinion as when a phase might be affecting anything though.

Edited by Angling Oracle 1/26/2021 10:19 AM
phselect
Posted 1/26/2021 11:17 AM (#974401 - in reply to #974388)

IAJustin - 1/26/2021 7:08 AM

The lakes I fish in Canada have hundreds of great spots, I’m certainly not camping on one because of moon phase only... if you recently raised the “one” and moon phase is approaching maybe a little extra time..action in the past, well okay? I’m looking for action now... many good spots in Canada hold multiple fish and I’m moving if nothing is happening, great spot come back at a weather change or last light, two factor much more reliable than the moon

Agreed. Especially in Canada. If you have a multitude of "fishy" spots, hit 'em during the window.... maybe a little extra time if you raised a beast earlier in the day.

Edited by phselect 1/26/2021 11:19 AM
Rwin4000
Posted 1/26/2021 6:07 PM (#974418 - in reply to #974378)
Subject: RE: Moving spots during a moon phase

Thanks for all of the perspectives! Good food for thought.
kap
Posted 1/27/2021 8:49 AM (#974428 - in reply to #974378)

Moon phase windows aren't that long, major on average is only and hour minor less.
Be at your best spot at peak of major, second best spot at start or end of major.
Or go to your best spot at start of major and if you don't contact fish go to your next best spot.
curdmudgeon
Posted 1/29/2021 11:22 PM (#974574 - in reply to #974378)

great question. I'd stay on the great spot and switch to Smallmouth or Walleye. If the Musky are not around, great time to catch a beautiful fish, even if it does not weigh 48.375lbs
horsehunter
Posted 1/30/2021 7:54 AM (#974578 - in reply to #974378)

Muskie guy's are so childish , I guess that's why I got an ad for Leggo in the middle of this thread.
I keep the trolling motor on and keep moving even if I raise a good fish I give it no more than 2 casts and circle back. The lake I fish can hold good fish anywhere SOMETIMES. I've caught 2 50's off the launch dock waiting for someone, funny how everyone launches then roars off out of sight.
ToddM
Posted 1/30/2021 10:27 AM (#974584 - in reply to #974578)

horsehunter - 1/30/2021 7:54 AM

Muskie guy's are so childish , I guess that's why I got an ad for Leggo in the middle of this thread.
I keep the trolling motor on and keep moving even if I raise a good fish I give it no more than 2 casts and circle back. The lake I fish can hold good fish anywhere SOMETIMES. I've caught 2 50's off the launch dock waiting for someone, funny how everyone launches then roars off out of sight.

I have seen Muskies sitting in the washout hole many times. Across the lake syndrome is real. What I really want to know is what lego building kit(s) did you buy? You going to build the death star? Que star wars battle music.

Edited by ToddM 1/30/2021 11:06 AM
horsehunter
Posted 1/30/2021 12:19 PM (#974591 - in reply to #974378)

I've got a big box of Lego that belonged to my daughter and was well used by my grand daughters and hopefully I live long enough to see some great grandkids use. Reminds me of the time my daughter was about 2 or 3 and we went to visit my wife's grandmother. We told my daughter it was her great grandmother, after about a minute she looked up at me and said "what's so great about her"
Still got a big box of Barbie stuff except for the one I wired through and hid a hook in the hair . When I'd see a boat coming over to talk I'd switch rods and start tossing Barbie. Had a few follows and slimecycle.

slimecycle = any muskie or pike under 25 inches

Edited by horsehunter 1/30/2021 12:31 PM
RLSea
Posted 1/30/2021 10:08 PM (#974607 - in reply to #974378)

I love fish stories...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)