Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> MotorGuide - from First Gen Wireless to xi5? Or Just xi5 feedback?

Reply New post
Message Subject: MotorGuide - from First Gen Wireless to xi5? Or Just xi5 feedback?
Slamr
Posted 1/11/2021 3:44 PM (#973435)
Subject: MotorGuide - from First Gen Wireless to xi5? Or Just xi5 feedback?

Thinking about moving to an xi5....anyone use this after the legacy wireless from Motorguide?
Masqui-ninja
Posted 1/12/2021 7:45 AM (#973446 - in reply to #973435)
Subject: Re: MotorGuide - from First Gen Wireless to xi5? Or Just xi5 feedback?

When the Xi5 came out, it had the best spotlock (anchor mode), and jog on the market. It was a boat control game changer. I believe this forced MinnKota to upgrade some of their features. They got it done with the latest gen Terrova imo. A lot of people don't like the heel/toe foot pedal, but the wire less works fine, and the remote is fine too. I ran an Xi5 for two hard seasons, and it performed well, motor finally fried though (hard to find anyone to service Motorguide around here). I've since had Terrovas and Ulterras and prefer them slightly.
erico
Posted 1/13/2021 10:50 AM (#973530 - in reply to #973435)

I've had one now for 5 years. Overall happy with it, had to get a new foot pedal 2 years ago. As with any change, it's just takes time to get used to the functions. I went from a cable steer to the Xi5 and was over steering on the pedal at first, you just need to learn to "tap steer" with the pedal. The factory springs in the pedal are just, but they're easy to replace with stronger ones from any hardware store.
drburke182
Posted 1/29/2021 11:46 AM (#974542 - in reply to #973435)
Subject: RE: MotorGuide - from First Gen Wireless to xi5? Or Just xi5 feedback?

I like mine, I have it hooked up to my locators and program routes for it to take which allows me to focus on fishing. One issue I had with it was that I couldn't see which way the motor was facing in the dark, and I would scare the crap outta myself while operating at night. If it was turned the wrong way it had a good chance of bucking me off the boat if it is throttled up.

I modified the cover to have LED lights and I wired them up to my navigation lights so they only come on when my nav lights come on. Works awesome and solves the issue. Going to be modifying another one for a friend, it's pretty easy to do if you have the supplies.

Edited by drburke182 1/29/2021 12:01 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_4660.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_4660.jpg (24KB - 327 downloads)
RyanJoz
Posted 1/29/2021 12:40 PM (#974549 - in reply to #973435)

after personally being in the boat with 3 that pulled the wires out of the heads on spotlock, I would never own one. New terrova with the bluetooth gets the nod IF you remove the spring assist.
kap
Posted 2/13/2021 3:40 PM (#975212 - in reply to #973435)

Agree with Masqui-ninja when Xi5 first came out it was the best motor available. Loved it spot lock was head and shoulders above Minnkota as with keeping it course on cruise control. GPS was very accurate. Minnkota has improved there GPS system
but i still think Xi5's is a little better. Owned them both
hooked
Posted 2/14/2021 4:28 PM (#975261 - in reply to #973435)

I've had both the Terrova and (currently have) the Xi5. I would have gone with another Terrova but my current boat had the Xi5 on it when I purchased it. I've been pretty pleased with it. Haven't had any issues with the Motorguide so far. It does seem like the remote is just a little smaller than the Terrova's, which I like. I've yet to even try the foot pedal.

Edited by hooked 2/14/2021 4:29 PM
Paul S
Posted 2/26/2021 1:11 PM (#976069 - in reply to #973530)

erico - 1/13/2021 10:50 AM

I've had one now for 5 years. Overall happy with it, had to get a new foot pedal 2 years ago. As with any change, it's just takes time to get used to the functions. I went from a cable steer to the Xi5 and was over steering on the pedal at first, you just need to learn to "tap steer" with the pedal. The factory springs in the pedal are just, but they're easy to replace with stronger ones from any hardware store.

This sums up my experience with an Xi5 as well. I just recently got a new pedal since my original pedal was spotty turning left. Go ahead and order the pedal springs and carry them with you. They cost less than $5 but if/when your spring breaks the pedal is useless until you change it. Many people just use the remote. The spot lock is excellent. I have used my Xi5 heavily over the last 5 years and except for the pedal it has been flawless. I would purchase the motor again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)