Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Tire rotation?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Tire rotation?
Pepper
Posted 12/9/2020 4:11 PM (#972528)
Subject: Tire rotation?

I rotate the tires on my truck but not the boat trailer. Does anyone rotate their trailer tires including the spare? How often if you do?
pklingen
Posted 12/9/2020 5:48 PM (#972531 - in reply to #972528)
Subject: Re: Tire rotation?

i don't rotate the spare but i do rotate sides every winter. don't know if it helps but i figure it can't hurt and hasn't.
miket55
Posted 12/9/2020 9:15 PM (#972534 - in reply to #972528)

With a single axle trailer, I find it easier to go spare. to the right side, right side to the left, and left to the spare. Do it every fall, and as pklingen stated, "don't know if it helps but i figure it can't hurt and hasn't."
Fishysam
Posted 12/10/2020 1:18 PM (#972538 - in reply to #972528)

I do try and rotate them. Not splitting hairs about it though. I do get the spare in some too
Fishysam
Posted 12/10/2020 1:19 PM (#972539 - in reply to #972528)

I do try and rotate them. Not splitting hairs about it though. I do get the spare in some too
3lksmusky
Posted 12/10/2020 9:33 PM (#972546 - in reply to #972528)
Subject: RE: Tire rotation?

I am no tire expert, but I was always told that when you rotate a radial tire you move front to back, or back to front, always keeping the tires going the same direction. Its been many years since I have been in the car business, it is possible that technology has passed me up.
miket55
Posted 12/10/2020 10:15 PM (#972548 - in reply to #972538)

Fishysam - 12/10/2020 2:18 PM

I only rotate the spare out of convenience.. you only need one jack point.
ToddM
Posted 12/11/2020 9:39 AM (#972552 - in reply to #972528)

I have been told the same thing 3ilk has. Rotate tires going the same direction because of how they wear. I googled it and you can rotate non-directional tires from left to right.
Fishysam
Posted 12/12/2020 6:18 PM (#972585 - in reply to #972552)

ToddM - 12/11/2020 9:39 AM

I have been told the same thing 3ilk has. Rotate tires going the same direction because of how they wear. I googled it and you can rotate non-directional tires from left to right.

I read somewhere on toyo tires you must rotate from left to right in the first 15,000 or it voids warranty.

Led to believe it is because the belts will relax some as well as take out some harmonic vibration.
leech lake strain
Posted 1/25/2021 6:07 PM (#974374 - in reply to #972528)

Another thing to consider is having them balanced. Many tire shops find out it is for a trailer they wont balance them. You want to make sure you tell the shop to balance them. Having tires out of balance is hard on your wheel bearings. Alot of guys are pulling boats and trailers that are worth more than there trucks are. There truck tires are balanced but there boat trailers are not.
RyanJoz
Posted 1/26/2021 10:21 AM (#974399 - in reply to #974374)

every 1500 miles I rotate mine. Truck every 5,000. The difference between trucks/cars and trailers is that vehicles are precision aligned. Trailer axles are within about 1 degree. Your car within about 0.05 degrees. Truck manual says front's cross sides and go to rear. rear straight forward. Wife's jeep says X pattern due to awd.
VMS
Posted 1/27/2021 8:18 AM (#974427 - in reply to #972528)

Hiya,

I rotate each year from side to side. The reason....cupping on the edges of the tires.

Cupping is more pronounced on the front tires of rear wheel drive vehicles for various reasons, but mainly due to the scrubbing effect the tire has while turning,, coming into contact with the road surface...all combined with the normal bumping as it goes along the road, dampened by shocks.

Go to the front tires and run your fingers along the outside edge of the tire...you will feel it from front to back that each lug on the tire is uneven (usually lower in front, higher in rear of each lug). This is why on many vehicles, the tires swap sides when rotating from front to back, and the back tires come directly forward. The back tires have had a chance to level out going primarily straight for some time before being rotated back to the front.

On your trailer, the effect may be limited to some extent, but as stated above, the trailer takes a bunch of road bumping, so the axle might not be as "tight" for alignment, which can increase the "scrubbing effect" as the tires travel down the road. Rotating from side to side will help reduce excessive wear. In many cases the wear on a trailer tire goes diagonally across the entire tread when allignment is off (toe in or toe out), and either the inside or outside if the tire is not perfectly upright, cambered in at the top creating excessive wear on the inside edge of the tire.

Inside edge wear will not be reduced by side to side rotation unless it is only on one side (usually due to hitting a nice pothole somewhere).

Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)