Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> A Muskies Inc question

Message Subject: A Muskies Inc question
ToddM
Posted 1/25/2020 8:02 AM (#952940)
Subject: A Muskies Inc question

Let's get winternet started shall we? I am a long time member and aboard member of my club for almost as long. We raise money for stocking youth events, dnr needs and every club in fibland belongs and contributes to the IMA. All good stuff if you ask me.

I have been told the average age of a member is around 55. I see this on the club meeting level too and on our board. Some younger, many older. An observation that I see when I go to the Muskie show is that an overwhelming majority of the patrons including those operating the booths are 25-45 years old. Just wondering why this group or few of them are involved. The clubs would certainly benefit from them. Would love to hear from the 25-45 crowd on this.

Edited by ToddM 1/25/2020 8:05 AM
Brian Hoffies
Posted 1/25/2020 8:18 AM (#952941 - in reply to #952940)
Subject: Re: A Muskies Inc question

Would love to hear from the 25-45 crowd on this.

Well that leaves me out. lol
sukrchukr
Posted 1/25/2020 8:33 AM (#952942 - in reply to #952940)

Ive noticed the same thing. I think some of them are too busy editing their footage for the you tube channel they are trying to get going. Where they can proudly hold up a 33"er for the camera....or spend 8 minutes getting the boat positioned correctly for the perfect camera angle before settting the hook with live bait......
maybe I got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, just had to vent a little
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/25/2020 8:55 AM (#952943 - in reply to #952940)

I hate gopros too, but to be fair, they are just trying to make a show like their original idols did on TV. Nothing wrong with it. I don’t partake in my own chapter because they don’t take a stance on import issues like stocking. Getting together and having an outing and calling it a club does not interest me. I used to help out a little when I was younger but a 21 year old joining a group of 60 year olds just didn’t feel right. I’m 33 now.

I’d gladly give my money to a group that will stock more fish into specific lakes or at least fight for stocking. Some of the members of this chapter are DNR employees that manage the muskies around here. I don’t agree with their management strategy and they are too wise to listen to anyone like me.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 1/25/2020 9:18 AM (#952944 - in reply to #952940)

Some are developing careers, relationships and having kids. Not all make gopro vids.

Yes, I know that free time is at a premium for every age group. It's an interesting question.

Edited by Masqui-ninja 1/25/2020 9:43 AM
hawkeye9
Posted 1/25/2020 10:35 AM (#952945 - in reply to #952940)

Same 24 hour day as there has always been. We have more "free time" than ever. We just fill it up with stuff. The big answer I think is indvidualism (i.e, "death of the bowling league" sorta thing).

For me, I work weekends and that's of course when club activities are held. I should still send them my membership fee though because you are right about them supporting the right things (stocking, assisting state biologists, lake cleanup, etc.).

Masqui-ninja
Posted 1/25/2020 10:55 AM (#952946 - in reply to #952940)

The death of teams, leagues and clubs could be due to the majority of households now having both parents working full-time jobs. With kids, there's not much "free time" at all...anyone I talk to in this age group.

I don't claim to know, just throwing ideas out there. I donate, but donating time is hard to do.
Top H2O
Posted 1/25/2020 11:04 AM (#952947 - in reply to #952945)

Socity today wants instant gratification..( younger and older folks)
Work ethic ? Selfishness ? Inability to want to socialize or be a part of a Club ? Video games seem more important to younger people than taking a few hrs. a month to be involved in a fishing club ? Priorities ?
A lot of different reasons,... But,.... No reason not to financially support Muskies Inc. and the Good that they do for all who enjoys fishing.
14ledo81
Posted 1/25/2020 11:16 AM (#952948 - in reply to #952940)

I’m 38. I don’t even know if there is a muskies inc club for my area. If there was and they supported sticking in the lakes in my area, I would donate some.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/25/2020 11:50 AM (#952949 - in reply to #952940)

I was way into the club thing when I started out. Dragged my (now) wife and a couple buddies into the deal. I've kept my membership going because our club does a lot with stocking, kids outings,etc. But as life would have it, between both of us working weird hours and having moved farther away from the meeting location, getting to meetings just isn't an option anymore.

My take, for what it's worth as an old guy? Participation in that sort of thing just sort of takes a back seat when you have a house to pay for, married, kids, etc.

The reason membership leans towards the older side is that's who has the time and the money. House is paid for, kids out of the house, time to fish. Seen a lot of guys my age drop back in to the whole deal later in life once the kids are gone. And yeah, what guy in his 20's or even 30's wants to go hang around with a bunch of guys who are the same age as their parents after finally getting out on their own and away from their parents?
horsehunter
Posted 1/25/2020 12:10 PM (#952950 - in reply to #952943)

Kirby Budrow - 1/25/2020 9:55 AM

I hate gopros too, but to be fair, they are just trying to make a show like their original idols did on TV. Nothing wrong with it. I don’t partake in my own chapter because they don’t take a stance on import issues like stocking. Getting together and having an outing and calling it a club does not interest me. I used to help out a little when I was younger but a 21 year old joining a group of 60 year olds just didn’t feel right. I’m 33 now.

I love my go pro but nobody watches the footage but me. At 77 going into this coming season I'm a lot closer to the last chapter than the first so when I can't get in and out of a boat or it is dangerous for me to fish alone I will have my videos to watch even if the memories start to fog. As far as You Tube I have not much interest in watching other people wind string.
I was a active member of Muskies Canada since the early 90's but for me the club got almost too big. Too many cliques too much politics and too many peeing matches. In the 80's muskie nuts were a small group now everyone fishes muskies everyone is a guide and lots are selling pretty lures that have never caught a fish.
sworrall
Posted 1/25/2020 12:54 PM (#952953 - in reply to #952940)

We are working with MI including managing the Facebook page. The MI Organization is moving forward with a good crew at the communications helm these days looking to join us in the 21st century on the digital front, and recruitment of new members will be stepping up. I'm very optimistic.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 1/25/2020 12:57 PM (#952955 - in reply to #952940)

Many people need to get "something" out of a club for "themselves" I think. Hence they might not have time to attend or participate in club events. For me personally (and I'm out of the age range you asked about) I join a club every year. Give them my membership fee. Never attend a meeting or fish a event. I don't even Muskie fish every year. But, I'd rather give them some money and skip a case of beer hoping they do something for the sport. Maybe my piddly donation helps buy a fingerling or two, helps fight bad legislation in St. Paul. As long as I never find out it goes into somebodies pocket I'm fine with how they spend it.
JGlass
Posted 1/25/2020 1:08 PM (#952958 - in reply to #952940)

I went to a few meetings, and I could see the cliques that are formed, as mentioned, and is the reason I dont show up at the local meetings anymore....In each newsletter "please send in your pix" ... so I had a good year in 2017. I had 8 fish over 25lbs and 4 of those over 30lbs...one even being a 48 3/4" tiger ...sent pix of them in to my local chapter.... guess how many made the newsletter?? ZERO.... but there was the same 3-4 guys with their 37"-40".....

Edited by JGlass 1/25/2020 1:26 PM
North of 8
Posted 1/25/2020 1:23 PM (#952960 - in reply to #952940)

For many years I was a member of an international service club and it was difficult to find members in that age group. Starting a career, starting a family, that was their priority. We found ways to get them involved on occasion as volunteers for special events and then some of those joined when they had more time. When I was president of the local club, I reminded some of the older, retired members that the younger folks did not have as much time to do volunteer work as they did. They should have known that but they needed a periodic reminder.
mikie
Posted 1/25/2020 3:24 PM (#952965 - in reply to #952940)

I got this in my e-mail; shame to lose one. m
After much debate and a lengthy process Chapter 47 is no longer affiliated with Muskies Inc.
I appreciate everything each chapter continues to do for muskies throughout the nation and if there’s ever support needed let us know and we will be happy to help in any way we can.
Please remove me from future internal communications.
Thanks
Sincerely,

Nick Day

Michigan Muskie Alliance

Edited by mikie 1/25/2020 3:26 PM
TCESOX
Posted 1/25/2020 6:43 PM (#952976 - in reply to #952940)

Kind of ironic too see this thread, as I just returned this afternoon from an MMPA meeting where the topic was touched on and had some more discussion after the meeting. One of the things our MI chapter has done, is to pair with WAM on a few outings, the last couple years. We have picked up few of them as new members, and hope to continue, in hopes of diversifying our membership. While I am exactly the average age Todd mentions, it seems I am slightly older than the average age at our meetings, which is a good thing. We are still trying to get younger, however. I pay an annual dues to a few different outdoor advocacy groups (PF, DU, etc.), that I don't participate in, but simply want to support, and I'm sure we have a number of our members that are doing the same with MI. I think that there are two types of members, supporters and participants. Both are valued.
ToddM
Posted 1/25/2020 7:23 PM (#952983 - in reply to #952940)

I don't know that the 25-45 year olds do not have the time for Muskies inc. They are the majority on the water too. They have the time to fish, go to musky shows. If nothing else I hope they join a club to make positive change when they get to 55.

As far as the clique thing, that's a personal thing. Clubs are what you make of them, not of you. I joined in my early 40's and made friends right away because I seen the club as something I could give to and not take from.
muskymartin67
Posted 1/25/2020 7:24 PM (#952984 - in reply to #952940)

I am 45 and actually a member of Todd's chapter, haven't made a meeting in probably 8 years main reason is I moved 2 hrs from meeting place. I do go to fundraiser banquet once a year and support MUSKIES inc. and the club through my membership dues and donations. I originally joined in the mid 90's I was in my early 20's then and have stayed with the same chapter all along, I have a few close friends that are members, and I also used to fish most of the chapter tournaments, but haven't in 3-4 years but do plan to make it to this years. If I lived closer, I probably would be more involved w club, but It's hard to work full time, be married, and commit to monthly club activities considering the distance.

Edited by muskymartin67 1/25/2020 7:28 PM
RLSea
Posted 1/25/2020 9:07 PM (#952999 - in reply to #952949)

EA describes my situation. There was no time when I was working; with the long hours and other commitments I just couldn’t justify giving club membership the priority that I can now that I’m retired. It gives me satisfaction contributing now in any small way I can to support a cause I believe in.
Lightning
Posted 1/25/2020 9:49 PM (#953003 - in reply to #952940)

I am in this age group and have been in two Chapters. The one I was in while in college was really good but doesn’t exist any longer and is in another state. The one I joined after college had the same guys doing everything and there really wasn’t any getting involved, it also seemed to lose many members because of this. I would go for speakers but my job changed and usually can’t make meetings. I like Muskies INC as an organization, just don’t have time for it. Right now I am just concentrating on fishing and teaching a 7 yr old ,how to catch fish. Sorry no youtube videos.
ILESOX
Posted 1/25/2020 11:45 PM (#953005 - in reply to #952940)

im 36, joined our local chapter in 2019, havent made it to any meetings as of yet, mostly because of time constraints or my wife having to work on meeting nights.
terry
Posted 1/26/2020 6:46 AM (#953006 - in reply to #952940)

I've been a member of M.I. since 1981 so i've seen many ups and downs over the years.lately in our chapter were starting to see some 20 and 30 year old getting involved with the chapter. when i ask some of our younger members who drop out what there reasoning was i usually got work shifts, wrong night for meetings and politics those were the 3 main items. just my 2 cents
Ruddiger
Posted 1/26/2020 7:29 AM (#953009 - in reply to #953006)

Howdy,

I've been a MI member since the 90's but only went to two meetings in my life. Even then it was for a chapter that was starting in my area and then I moved for work.

I've always joined in an unafiliated status because I believe deeply in the sport and in continuing the work that MI has done to expand and protect the resource.

That said, I believe the old quote "we have met the enemy, and he is us" applies to this situation. Sadly, many of the muskie fisherman I have met over the last 30 years are jerks. They carry themselves with an arrogance that turns people off (even to other muskie fisherman).

Add in all the secrecy, the condescending attitudes towards other fisherman, lectures about proper holds and releases, not to mention the constant digs over a big fish that's "not as big as the person stays it is" and it all becomes fatiguing. All of the stereotypical millennial/snowflake comments that get repeated about younger fisherman only makes it worse. It's no wonder they tune us out and move on with their life.

For me, I'm still happy to donate and be a MI member, but I don't have the time or desire to wade through the nonsense to find the benefits to being active in a club.

Take care,

Ruddiger
mikie
Posted 1/26/2020 8:36 AM (#953014 - in reply to #952940)

I've been a member of West Virginia's MI Chapter 9 for over 15 years. I joined when I was 50 or so, and I met some of the most wonderful people in the world at the annual meetings and outings. Jim Moore, Bill and Sharon Crane, Lloyd and Erma Jones, Jack Cobb (he gave my grand daughter her first muskie lure)...some of the finest fishers and baiters in the sport IMHO.
I haven' had the opportunity to meet any of them with "an arrogance that turns people off " Perhaps that is my good fortune. . Our chapter does one annual meeting in late winter, then has fishing events throughout the local season.

I make good use of the Lunge Log and magazine. I'm not much of a note taker and if I need to see what fish I got on what bait ten years ago, well, the memory banks don't work like that anymore, so it's back to the Log. The research work MI is doing now on hot water catch mortality will be a benchmark for many folks - both in the sport and regulatory branches.

I'm totally impressed with our national leadership team, we have a fantastic president for the organization who has really brought things around. I'm glad to be a small part of such a fine organization. m

Edited by mikie 1/26/2020 9:07 AM
Tackle Industries
Posted 1/26/2020 8:51 AM (#953016 - in reply to #952940)

Maybe more interaction with the younger crowd. Tackle Industries is giving away a lot of rods and lures to MI in 2019/2020 for young kids with the best photos. That is for 16 and under I think but things like this definitely increase the interaction. Maybe ask other companies to make up the "HOT" baits in a truly cook custom color and only MI members can buy them and then at a discount vs $100+ at a musky show. Or sell them at the musky shows for $100+ and that includes 1yr membership? Just thinking...

Edited by Tackle Industries 1/26/2020 8:52 AM
ILESOX
Posted 1/26/2020 11:56 AM (#953029 - in reply to #952940)

my post last night was pretty short, but as a new musky fishermen, i think the sport is a bit intimidating in itself. while i havent met any overtly rude people muskie fishing, im sure i have ticked a few vets off on the water i fished, by simply not "knowing" There is a lot to learn, and just about everyone has a shorter time than they'd like to learn it, especially the younger guys who most of the time cant go fish a weekday. I think there is a naturally fine line, of helping people and being protective of the good spots. The best thing I did was book a trip with Jeff Hanson, even if you have crap weather and tough condtions paying for the knowlege of a guide when your starting is priceless. I think perhaps if MI chapters had a retired guy who was a real competant fishermen who was willing to take new/young members out and show them the ropes and make it easier, it would make younger members much more active. Just my worthless .02
CincySkeez
Posted 1/27/2020 11:10 AM (#953070 - in reply to #952940)

I'm 29 and VP of my local chapter. I am VP because the chapter was looking for younger blood considering the average age was way above 50.

Think they main thing keeping people from getting more involved is the financial strain. Boats aren't cheap, muskie gear isn't cheap and quite frankly wages haven't kept up with the costs of living let alone grown enough to let young folks make an investment like a boat.

Most of the people my age that do musky fish (myself included) are lucky enough to not be carrying around student loan debt, and don't have a family. Just my 2 cents
MstormC
Posted 1/27/2020 12:58 PM (#953083 - in reply to #953016)

Tackle Industries - 1/26/2020 8:51 AM

Maybe more interaction with the younger crowd. Tackle Industries is giving away a lot of rods and lures to MI in 2019/2020 for young kids with the best photos. That is for 16 and under I think but things like this definitely increase the interaction. Maybe ask other companies to make up the "HOT" baits in a truly cook custom color and only MI members can buy them and then at a discount vs $100+ at a musky show. Or sell them at the musky shows for $100+ and that includes 1yr membership? Just thinking...

James, good for you on donating the baits to kids! The world needs more businesses like you! Not to take away from your good deed, one suggestion and to make an even playing field for all kids maybe do a random draw of the photos rather than turning it into a popularity contest?
ToothyCritter
Posted 1/27/2020 3:43 PM (#953107 - in reply to #952940)

Interesting topic. MI is a class act, most members are eager to help and share what they know. Lot's to learn from some of these older guy's... Some of their stories are amazing and it was the best part for me. Learned more from MI members than anyone.
I was a member for years. Had fun and made life long friends, but as mentioned family and career come first to fishing and clubs. I know it did for others as well so the once a month meeting and every weekend outing stopped. I had to pull back or I was going to wind up broke and living in a cat pee carpet studio apartment with a stacked washer & dryer after her lawyers were though with my @ss if I kept it up..

This hobby like many can simply consume you if you let it. It sure took me by the skinny hairs in my 30's and 40's. I go when we can now and enjoy the planning as much as the trip. Try to anyway.

Now it's not just muskies like it was for me, but we will target Bass, Walleye or gills. I'll consider joining again once the youngest is though high school. I do miss the stories the old timers would tell..
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)