Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Phantom spybait modification and my spoon rig

Message Subject: Phantom spybait modification and my spoon rig
joh10891
Posted 1/14/2020 8:27 PM (#952540)
Subject: Phantom spybait modification and my spoon rig

Hey everyone! In the interest of being more open to other fisherman to help us all catch more fish, I’ve decided to share a couple lures/lure modifications that might interest folks. I’m moving and won’t be able to fish musky much anymore for the near future, which is a shame. So I wanted to share some of my “secret” lure modifications! Anyone else can feel free to chime in too if they have any mods that they love that have flown under the radar!
——————————————————————————————

SPOON RIG
First is the spoon rig. Not many folks fish spoons nowadays, and I don’t blame them because most aren’t not conducive to ‘power fishing’. This setup is a good exception to that!

Components:
-Nichols or Castaic flutter spoon. 8” or 9”
-split rings (large #7)
-spro power swivels combo (I believe 230lb)
-hooks (7/0 work well)
-Large esox assault grub tail

Building it is super simple. Just note the direction of the spoon in the photo, and direction of the 3-way swivel

I can’t say enough praise about this rig. The fish just go nuts for it sometimes. Use your fastest reel you have, and the speed you can get is just ridiculous due to the low drag. Big fast rips and flutters are the way to go. I feel like fish don’t see spoons much anymore, and have a lot of confidence in this rig. Be sure to swap out all the components that come with the spoon (split rings, hooks, swivel) as they aren’t up to par for musky fishing.
——————————————————————————————

PHANTOM SPYBAIT
This is the phantom spy bait mod. SUPER finesse compared to most musky lures! So not a good power-fishing lure, but still is worth having on days when the bit shuts down or fish are acting weird.

Components:
-plastic phantom non-thru wire bait (needs to be one with the screw eyes! And ideally softail)
-propeller-style blade (Moore’s catalog item #072-131 )
OR kramer revo blade

Basically, take one of the non-thru wire phantom (plastic ones that just have the normal screw-in screw eyes) and unscrew the front eye, placing the blade on top of the metal cup, and screwing the eye back in! Very simple. You can add some glue if you want. Haven’t tried any other propeller styles, but the one’s mentioned have worked for me.
——————————————————————————
And of course, shoot me a message if you have any questions, or land fish on either of these setups! I’d love to hear!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(phantom.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(spoon.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments phantom.jpg (84KB - 445 downloads)
Attachments spoon.jpg (90KB - 421 downloads)
Kirby Budrow
Posted 1/15/2020 6:22 AM (#952545 - in reply to #952540)
Subject: Re: Phantom spybait modification and my spoon rig

Nice. I’ve been waiting for someone to make a spy bait
joh10891
Posted 1/15/2020 5:30 PM (#952594 - in reply to #952545)
Subject: Re: Phantom spybait modification and my spoon rig

Me too! I think Kodiak was making a spybait for a while, but it wasn't widely available. Haha I'm honestly surprised that my dumb DIY spybait modification actually works well, considering how bass fisherman claim you need to use light line and that the baits weighting are so sensitive.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)