Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> gliders vs dive and rise

Message Subject: gliders vs dive and rise
Muskie Bob
Posted 1/10/2020 10:26 AM (#952237)
Subject: gliders vs dive and rise

Best conditions to throw each one.

Which type do you fish first?

Do tails work better on each type?

Just looking for advice on when and how to fish each one.

Thanks,
DWags
Posted 1/10/2020 10:52 AM (#952241 - in reply to #952237)
Subject: Re: gliders vs dive and rise

Robert, these are just my experiences. A small glider is one of the best baits right out of the gate in the spring when the water is cold and fish are still sluggish. When the water is cooling and still pre turnover in the fall large dive and rise baits are lights out. It seems that after turnover and fish slide out a little then big slow moving gliders get the nod again. Both can be good throughout the season and experiences vary depending on where you fish. But for me, these are the 3 distinct periods when one seems much better than the other. As far as tails go, I like them on most gliders nd really use them to change the same lure up based on water clarity. Allows you to have less lures and more flexibility. A 6 inch softtail phantom with 3 different tail color options would take you a long way in the spring.
Top H2O
Posted 1/10/2020 11:35 AM (#952245 - in reply to #952241)

If "worked" properly a glider can dive and rise and go side to side.... Just saying.
Rudedog
Posted 1/10/2020 12:52 PM (#952255 - in reply to #952237)
Subject: RE: gliders vs dive and rise

I consider them both about the same. As in pause baits. Jerk, glider, Dawg, minnow.
When conditions are not ideal, often I only get action on a stop and go bait. Dive style I throw more in weedy areas, but gliders are sometimes all I get action on under the toughest conditions or first few weeks of the year.

Edited by Rudedog 1/10/2020 12:53 PM
North of 8
Posted 1/10/2020 12:56 PM (#952257 - in reply to #952255)
Subject: RE: gliders vs dive and rise

Rudedog - 1/10/2020 12:52 PM

I consider them both about the same. As in pause baits. Jerk, glider, Dawg, minnow.
When conditions are not ideal, often I only get action on a stop and go bait. Dive style I throw more in weedy areas, but gliders are sometimes all I get action on under the toughest conditions or first few weeks of the year.

The chain I live on is shallow and lot of the areas that hold fish are weedy, that is where a dive style bait is easier to work, I think, than a glider. With a Suick for instance, I can bump weeds, let it float back up, without fouling with a little practice. I like gliders with a tail where cover is not thick.
ToothyCritter
Posted 1/10/2020 1:17 PM (#952260 - in reply to #952257)

As a weekender fisherman and a few trips for a week a year, my experience is limited to speak to what's best. If the operator can work the bait properly for the conditions both work. But there is something about a Suick that has my number and confidence. Nice to have several rods at the ready with different lures tied for a throwback. If I don't backlash from a panic attack on my throwback.

The,,, I can feel my heartbeat in my neck panic attack when I get a follow problem I have.. When that stops, time for a new hobby.
Ranger
Posted 1/18/2020 2:50 PM (#952732 - in reply to #952237)

A weighed-to-suspend crank bait beats both gliders and risers with lazy fish. Reason is, a suspendo crank creates a ton of action (or just a twitch) within a very short distance and then just sits there. And sits there and sits there. Many big lazy follows are way deeper than the lure. If in water with high weeds you can twitch with rod tip high and keep the bait just a foot or two below the surface. Twitching a suspendo, slow slow slow back to the boat is often your only shot at these lazy fish. Most people only look behind the bait for a follow. Learn to look both behind and deep and you'll see the fish you didn't see before. All deep follows are big fish, every one.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)