Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Okuma Komodo SS 463 ticking sound when casting

Message Subject: Okuma Komodo SS 463 ticking sound when casting
lifeisfun
Posted 8/29/2019 7:16 PM (#946169)
Subject: Okuma Komodo SS 463 ticking sound when casting

My 463 developed annoying sound when I cast. ( tick tick tick tick.....)
Loud ticking noise. It's in the side plate, since when I move it to another reel the sound moves to the other reel as well. When I compare it with side plate that doesn't make the sound I don't see any difference. Even took it a part looks exactly the same.
Both reels are only year old, and in excellent shape.
Any ideas?

Thanks
upnortdave
Posted 8/29/2019 9:19 PM (#946172 - in reply to #946169)
Subject: RE: Okuma Komodo SS 463 ticking sound when casting

I'm no expert but had what sounds like the same issue with a daiwa. I engaged the reel mid cast and put a slight bend in spool shaft. Had to replace spool and bushing, problem solved. I don't know if you had a hard engagement but if so that could be the problwm
lifeisfun
Posted 8/30/2019 3:40 AM (#946175 - in reply to #946172)
Subject: RE: Okuma Komodo SS 463 ticking sound when casting

upnortdave - 8/29/2019 10:19 PM

I'm no expert but had what sounds like the same issue with a daiwa. I engaged the reel mid cast and put a slight bend in spool shaft. Had to replace spool and bushing, problem solved. I don't know if you had a hard engagement but if so that could be the problwm

This will be something else, since problem is in the side plate that you can take off. Not much there, 2 plastic gears to drive the levelwind and clicker, that's it.
sir_tob
Posted 9/7/2019 8:10 PM (#946506 - in reply to #946169)
Subject: Re: Okuma Komodo SS 463 ticking sound when casting

It's the spool shaft. You're hearing it as the spool edge hits the side plate so it sounds like the side plate but it's not.
lifeisfun
Posted 9/8/2019 4:11 AM (#946512 - in reply to #946506)

sir_tob - 9/7/2019 9:10 PM

It's the spool shaft. You're hearing it as the spool edge hits the side plate so it sounds like the side plate but it's not.

Can't be the case, since as I said, moving the side plate to other reel that reel doing the same noise.
Greased the plastic gear that drives the level wind and noise stopped, will see how long it lasts.
twofishy4u
Posted 9/8/2019 6:44 AM (#946513 - in reply to #946169)

does the known good reel do it with the "bad side" plate on it? I'd contact OKUMA and see if they'll just mail you a part
lifeisfun
Posted 9/8/2019 10:56 AM (#946522 - in reply to #946513)

twofishy4u - 9/8/2019 7:44 AM

does the known good reel do it with the "bad side" plate on it? I'd contact OKUMA and see if they'll just mail you a part

Yes, the good reel turns in to bad reel when I swap the side plate.
Right now after heavy grease job they both work fine, will decide at the end of the season what to do, since both still have warranty.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)