Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> First time Muskie fishing need help

Message Subject: First time Muskie fishing need help
Jake2213
Posted 8/19/2019 3:31 PM (#945588)
Subject: First time Muskie fishing need help

Hey guys, I’ve just gotten the chance to go to the st Lawrence with some friends in the beginning of October. We will be in the Alexandria Bay Area for three days. We are all experienced fisherman in our home state of pa, mostly trout and smallies though. I know the question I’m about to ask is almost taboo to most Muskie fisherman but I’m not trying to spend an entire paycheck on things I don’t know about. So with all the knowledge on this board what lures would you buy if you wanted to make a good attempt but were strictly beginners in the Muskie world. I was thinking just one Bucktail and some form of bull dawg. Any help for me and my buddy’s would be greatly appreciated.
mikie
Posted 8/19/2019 3:43 PM (#945590 - in reply to #945588)
Subject: Re: First time Muskie fishing need help

https://www.muskyshop.com/

this may help your browsing.

I know nothing of those waters but for beginners, you can't go wrong throwing bucktails and topwaters. m
Jake2213
Posted 8/19/2019 3:48 PM (#945591 - in reply to #945588)

We are definitely gonna be comfortable with top water and buck tails, it’s just the type and color selection that has me racking my brain. I look at a bulldawg or one of them Medusa things and am completely lost on how you would work that. Thanks for the info though will for sure check the link.
mikie
Posted 8/19/2019 5:27 PM (#945596 - in reply to #945588)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGCgemV_fes

m
bringo
Posted 8/19/2019 7:05 PM (#945598 - in reply to #945588)

For bucktails, black skirt and whatever color blades catch your eye. Nickel, chartreuse, and black seem to be popular here.
Jake2213
Posted 8/19/2019 8:21 PM (#945603 - in reply to #945588)

Thanks bringo
Nomadmusky
Posted 8/19/2019 9:01 PM (#945605 - in reply to #945588)

I have to agree, If you have to boil it down to a couple of lures: a black or smoke over black bucktail, a black Bulldawg, a Black Suick, a Black surface bait and a natural 9" Grandma lure, I like black with prism. Once there then start branching out.
true tiger tamer
Posted 8/20/2019 7:06 AM (#945615 - in reply to #945588)

October may be on the late side for topwaters and borderline for bucktail action, though I've never fished the St. Lawrence. I would think it may be a trolling bite and softbait situation, so you may want to buy several trolling cranks, like Believers, Grandmas, and whatever the locals might recommend.
Jake2213
Posted 8/20/2019 8:00 AM (#945622 - in reply to #945588)

Thanks guys I’m hoping the local guys up there won’t mind giving us a few pointers
Hankjr21
Posted 8/30/2019 5:55 AM (#946176 - in reply to #945588)

Jake I sent you a PM if you want some more help . Good Luck
Stealthski
Posted 9/1/2019 10:58 AM (#946240 - in reply to #945588)
Subject: RE: First time Muskie fishing need help

Being that you are all smallie and trout fishermen, I understand your desire to try the world of muskie fishing. That said, have you looked into the tools you'll need in addition to baits? I'm talking proper net, long pliers, hook cutter, jaw spreader, glove for handling (optional but desired for safety), and have you read up on proper handling of muskies so they can be successfully released? Maybe you've done that, but since you didn't include in your post, it needs to be asked. If none of you is experienced in handling a muskie, things can go wrong in an instant which can jeopardize your safety and the survival of the muskie.
North of 8
Posted 9/1/2019 11:11 AM (#946241 - in reply to #946240)

There have been several very helpful threads on the basic release tools you should have, you will find that in a search. Really not that big of an investment and your probably already have things like a needle nose pliers. Joe Bucher for years used a rubber plumbers glove with the cuff cut off as a release glove. Tough, cheap.
Jake2213
Posted 9/1/2019 7:47 PM (#946246 - in reply to #945588)

Yep guys we definitely have the gear needed and we are for sure already fish friendly guys. Honestly we treat catching native trout the same way you guys all treat your Muskie. So we for sure all ways concern ourselves with fish safety and health as well. It’s really cool to see that a group of guys care about the release as much as the catch. I’m glad I found this place
sir_tob
Posted 9/5/2019 5:40 PM (#946373 - in reply to #945615)

true tiger tamer - 8/20/2019 7:06 AM

October may be on the late side for topwaters and borderline for bucktail action, though I've never fished the St. Lawrence. I would think it may be a trolling bite and softbait situation, so you may want to buy several trolling cranks, like Believers, Grandmas, and whatever the locals might recommend.

I agree with this. While it's possible to catch one on top until the ice up, better odds are on big plastic. Honestly If I was only fishing October and knowing what I know from last October in Mn... I'd have a Magnum 14" Swimming Dawg tied on at all times. I ended up throwing just about all the baits a newby could buy.. ended up having all my hits on the swimming dawg and my 45" came on that as well. The only other thing that you might need to know is if you're going to be jigging and need something similar to a bondy to get deep quick. The other thing you need to learn is how to figure 8. I had follows on a host of other lures but the only eats I had were on the Swim dawgs.

I read somewhere that half of all muskies (in general i'm sure) are caught on the 8, even when you don't see them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)