Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> First Aid Kits

Message Subject: First Aid Kits
ToothyCritter
Posted 6/10/2019 11:14 AM (#940618)
Subject: First Aid Kits

Hopefully it's something we will never need, but just in case... What should be considered crucial to have in the boat for hook removal if it happened? When fishing with teens anything is possible and I want to be prepared. In Canada, the options are limited so self reliance would be paramount, to avoid a very long and disruptive trip to the ME to remove a hook if we can safely manage it ourselves.

Just looking for input besides the bite on a stick and rip er out method.

I have 3 pair of Knipex in the release toolbox already.
ToddM
Posted 6/10/2019 11:58 AM (#940619 - in reply to #940618)
Subject: Re: First Aid Kits

For actual supplies I think you are better off putting a first aid kit together yourself. I have one that cost me 75 bucks. There are some that are twice that. Buying the pieces and putting them in a dry storage container would not cost as much.

Edited by ToddM 6/10/2019 11:59 AM
ToothyCritter
Posted 6/10/2019 12:14 PM (#940622 - in reply to #940619)

Agreed Todd. I checked the kits on Amazon and a few other sites and for $50, you sure don't get much more than a ship load of bandages. So I'm going to put together my own as suggested.

Found a outdoors site that touched on this and provides a list.

Safety is no accident.

GoalieDad30
Posted 6/10/2019 4:51 PM (#940626 - in reply to #940618)
Subject: RE: First Aid Kits

I own three from My Medic, a very complete kit for at home, the "normal" one for the boat, and a smaller kit for my truck. The normal one lists for about $120? but I think I paid $80 or $90 via some sort of give us your email discount.
Pepper
Posted 6/10/2019 6:17 PM (#940628 - in reply to #940618)

So if you make your own what are the “must have” for your homemade kit?
pklingen
Posted 6/10/2019 7:10 PM (#940630 - in reply to #940618)

small bottle of peroxide, band aids, tape, and gauze would be a good start.
tkuntz
Posted 6/10/2019 8:13 PM (#940631 - in reply to #940618)

In order of importance.
1. Superglue
2. Bandages
3. Triple antibiotic
4. More superglue
5. Gauze
6. Tape
7. More superglue
Franz123
Posted 6/11/2019 2:45 AM (#940641 - in reply to #940622)

ToothyCritter - 6/10/2019 12:14 PM

Agreed Todd. I checked the kits on Amazon and a few other sites and for $50, you sure don't get much more than a ship load of bandages. So I'm going to put together my own as suggested.

Found a outdoors site that touched on this and provides a list.

Safety is no accident.

I agree with you.
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 6/11/2019 6:21 AM (#940644 - in reply to #940641)

I keep everything pretty minimalistic in the boat but carry a thorough first aid kit in the truck/back at camp. In the boat it's a roll of gauze, antibiotic ointment and electrical tape. Anything more serious than that usually requires a short hiatus off the lake.
southern comfort
Posted 6/11/2019 9:03 AM (#940652 - in reply to #940618)

In addition to what's been recommended so far I would include the following

1. Second skin/ Newskin
2. Hook removal kit
3. Anti diarrhea pills
4. Advil/Tylenol
5. Burn ointment
39 degrees
Posted 6/11/2019 10:53 AM (#940660 - in reply to #940618)

In addition to a first aid kit - If you are concerned about hook removal google the procedure on how to remove a fish hook with strong fishing line.
TCESOX
Posted 6/11/2019 11:04 AM (#940662 - in reply to #940618)

I keep a full sized bottle of peroxide, a stack of packaged gauze pads, and a couple of rolls of athletic tape, in a waterproof case. Along with the knipex, needle nose, and hemostat, that are already in the boat, that should cover whatever we may encounter. If that isn't adequate, then we better be getting off the lake.
Pointerpride102
Posted 6/11/2019 3:05 PM (#940686 - in reply to #940662)

If you live in a small community with an ambulance service, befriend an EMT/paramedic and have them help you build a supply kit. They’ll probably do it for cheap or free. I’m an EMT and have a decent kit that I keep stocked. Bandages, gauze, curlex, gloves, airways, medicines, BP cuff, stethoscope, and a variety of other stuff that I can’t recall off hand.
CincySkeez
Posted 6/11/2019 3:53 PM (#940688 - in reply to #940686)

Great suggestions, and any technique to remove hooks other than the fishing line method is pure masochism and quite dumb.
ToddM
Posted 6/11/2019 7:11 PM (#940698 - in reply to #940688)

CincySkeez - 6/11/2019 3:53 PM

Great suggestions, and any technique to remove hooks other than the fishing line method is pure masochism and quite dumb.

It depends on how the hook is in you. I have ripped them out, pushed down giving the Barb space to remove and two trips to the hospital, one required surgery. Sometimes you don't have a choice.
GoalieDad30
Posted 6/11/2019 8:58 PM (#940702 - in reply to #940618)

Two comments.

One, sometimes "getting off the lake" can be a very long way on some lakes in Canada, ie LOTW. When you are 42 miles away from your landing that can be a very long boat ride.

Second, all of us have bought at least one $$$$ bait(s) that cost a whole lot more than what a solid first aide kit that could keep you alive in a remote area.
Pat Hoolihan
Posted 6/11/2019 11:37 PM (#940704 - in reply to #940702)

Second, all of us have bought at least one $$$$ bait(s) that cost a whole lot more than what a solid first aide kit that could keep you alive in a remote area.

Not this guy. I'm a firm believer in seeking professional medical attention beyond the normal cuts, bumps and bruises. If I need a $200 first aid kit then I'm doing something wrong. I'm wrapping it in gauze and putting the hammer down.
wismedic
Posted 6/12/2019 3:48 AM (#940705 - in reply to #940618)

For what its worth I am a Critical Care Paramedic with a wilderness certification and Tactical endorsement, I also am a certified first aid/cpr/aed instructor for corporate and law enforcement training. My first aid kit consists of a few important things that cover my bases from remote to urban waters. In no particular order they are. Tourniquet, superglue, bandaids, sterile gauze (4x4s and wrap), Electrical tape, 2 ways to start a fire, triple antibiotic, Benadryl tablets, Ibuprofen, tyelnol, water purification tablets, single use mosquito wipes, a cheap multitool, good tweezers, 3 AAA batteries and a affordable headlamp. Keep the batteries separate from the headlamp so there is no residual draw and put electrical tape over the ends so they store well. All of this is in what I call my "bad day bag". Some like a tourniquet is life saving and everyone should have one in the boat. Others like mosquito wipes are because Its hard to focus if bugs are eating my face as I trouble shoot a motor that wont start. I vacuum seal all of this so its waterproof, airtight and floats. I then throw it in a compartment and leave it until its a bad day. I can do this because my tackle bag has some band aids, bug repellent, Ibuprofen and ointment if I need it. My first aid kit is emergency backup only. This bag is to allow me to help myself until help arrives or I get to it. It seems excessive, but everything in there will either keep you on the water when things go bad or save your life until you have access to help.

As a paramedic I worked on a water skier that had gashes from a prop in her leg. The family was 300yds from the launch when it happened, but they could not get the bleeding to stop and she died from the cuts before EMS arrived. Get a good kit with good equipment and leave it alone until you need it. A 16 dollar Sof T or Cat tourniquet could have potentially saved her.

The other common emergency that we responded to was single boaters who fell out. Especially as we get older or fatter it is really hard to get back in a boat by yourself without a ladder or platform on the back.

I hope this helps.
North of 8
Posted 6/12/2019 7:17 AM (#940711 - in reply to #940705)

Thanks medic. I have a pretty good kit but do not have a tourniquet. Will add and read up on how to use one. Learned use of one long ago in the Army and later in a first aid class but many on this board were not even born when I was in those classes and I don't remember proper use. My dad had been a combat medic in the Pacific during WWII and he had a kit with a tourniquet at our hunting camp, felt it was critical to have.
ToddC
Posted 6/12/2019 7:23 AM (#940712 - in reply to #940618)

Lots of great items mentioned. I would also add a suture kit. A buddy had one in his truck one time I fell off some scaffolding and cut my arm. We cleaned it up good and he sewed me up. Actually he did a real good job.
whynot
Posted 6/12/2019 10:30 AM (#940728 - in reply to #940688)

Ha. I've been hooked three times and have never had to do anything other than push the hook through, cut the hook point/barb off, then back out the remainder. The thought of risking ripping out flesh/tendons/etc. using the fishing line method makes me cringe in comparison to the minimal pain I've had to deal with doing it the way I've done it so far. The fishing line method also doesn't always work...I have a buddy who let others try it a couple dozen times before they gave up and went to the hospital. Ouch!

Every situation is different, getting hooked in some spots may dictate the fishing line method, others may lend themselves to pushing the hook through past the barb, cutting, and backing out as I've done with success.

Regarding the original question, the EMT nailed it.
CincySkeez
Posted 6/13/2019 10:13 AM (#940803 - in reply to #940728)

whynot - 6/12/2019 10:30 AM

Ha. I've been hooked three times and have never had to do anything other than push the hook through, cut the hook point/barb off, then back out the remainder. The thought of risking ripping out flesh/tendons/etc. using the fishing line method makes me cringe in comparison to the minimal pain I've had to deal with doing it the way I've done it so far. The fishing line method also doesn't always work...I have a buddy who let others try it a couple dozen times before they gave up and went to the hospital. Ouch!

Every situation is different, getting hooked in some spots may dictate the fishing line method, others may lend themselves to pushing the hook through past the barb, cutting, and backing out as I've done with success.

Regarding the original question, the EMT nailed it.

The fishing line method is painless, people are always surprised when you yank on the line, the hook flies out and they don't feel anything. There's a reason this method is becoming more popular...because all the other methods aren't that great.

I've pushed several barbs through, all alone and unable to tie a knot behind my back!

Have someone that knows what they are doing teach you, Link below is excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQQ9PelPqQk It works can be done in darn near every type of hook incident if you're not alone.
JBlanck
Posted 6/13/2019 10:28 AM (#940805 - in reply to #940618)

All the things listed above are good. I would consider a couple pairs of latex gloves included to wear AFTER the incident is done and you want to cover your hand that is bandaged without it getting wet for the rest of the trip. Wet hands just make the bandages fall off all the time.
Franz123
Posted 6/18/2019 4:44 AM (#940946 - in reply to #940618)

I have to add a suture kit.
Masson
Posted 6/22/2019 1:35 AM (#941142 - in reply to #940618)

Great suggestions.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)