Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Under Appreciated Baits or Tactics?

Message Subject: Under Appreciated Baits or Tactics?
mnmusky
Posted 6/8/2019 8:01 PM (#940572 - in reply to #940567)
Subject: Re: Under Appreciated Baits or Tactics?

believer. so versatile.
djwilliams
Posted 6/10/2019 8:52 PM (#940637 - in reply to #940445)

Reef Hawgs and Weighted Suicks. I get a lot of Suick follows. And I second the spinnerbait post. I trolled into a hookup/netted fish last summer and a nice follow from another. My biggest fish came on a jerked Reef Hawg.
Mike D
Posted 6/13/2019 7:15 AM (#940779 - in reply to #940463)

ToddM - 6/6/2019 1:54 PM

Aggressive rips with twitch and jerkbaits. Speed and pause kill. It's work and few are willing to commit very long. Most stay with their comfort food tactics.

I agree, my favorite and most productive presentation. I twitch and pause or rip and pause lipped baits in any and all conditions and catch muskies. I fish with club members who say they don't fish lipped baits anymore, only gliders, bucktails and plastics. Guys are amazed when I tell them I'm catching them on $25 baits. So many in our sport spending fortunes on "must have" gliders for $100-$150

Edited by Mike D 6/13/2019 7:20 AM
Fish4muskie
Posted 6/16/2019 7:47 AM (#940902 - in reply to #940445)
Subject: RE: Under Appreciated Baits or Tactics?

I also agree on the spinnerbait comments. Especially early in the year until it gets hot I’ve had decent success with them for numbers but no fish over 40”. This is for shallower slop kind of fishing.
Juhas
Posted 6/17/2019 4:54 AM (#940926 - in reply to #940445)

Interesting how only two replies are about tactics. Bondy deep and one to agrees. My opinion is that we get too caught up in the "Bait" over why are the fish where they are or what made them follow or strike. At the same time I am a believer in confidence baits, ones that you know how to work perfectly. Would like to see more answers on tactics. Open water basin fish? Fish suspended off structure? Fish using deep weed lines? Slop related fish? Also, when these topics may apply. Been following a couple of people who are using smaller baits and much lighter tackle and putting a lot of fish in the boat.
NPike
Posted 6/18/2019 10:08 AM (#940956 - in reply to #940463)

ToddM - 6/6/2019 2:54 PM

Agressive rips with twitch and jerkbaits. Speed and pause kill. It's work and few are willing to commit very long. Most stay with their comfort food tactics.

It is a bit of work and also requires practice, timing - patience with the pause. This technique brings in the most fish.
supertrollr
Posted 6/18/2019 4:59 PM (#940976 - in reply to #940445)

trolling large tandem spinnerbaits
tuffy1
Posted 6/21/2019 9:12 AM (#941091 - in reply to #940445)

I have to say throwing cranks. I catch more fish on cranks every year than blades typically (obviously that can change based on the weather, etc) but I rarely see guys throwing cranks (depthraiders, triple ds, etc) and have slid in behind other boats throwing blades and caught fish.

That and counting baits down. Fishing off breaks targeting baitfish and hooks that we may see and getting baits (dawgs, dussas, bondys) down to them.

Seems many guys like to pound weeds over and over, when the fish can be where there boats are and all they need to do is fish parallel with baits that get down.
BNelson
Posted 6/21/2019 9:23 AM (#941092 - in reply to #941091)

Jigging. don't see many do it in WI ... definitely under utilized ..
tuffy1
Posted 6/21/2019 9:29 AM (#941094 - in reply to #941092)

BNelson - 6/21/2019 9:23 AM

Jigging. don't see many do it in WI ... definitely under utilized ..

It seems to be trendy. I've seen boats doing it on Pewee on a fairly regular basis, and know of a few others that do it elsewhere, but I don't see many doing it. Definitely works and is a GREAT workout.
Coach13
Posted 6/24/2019 12:24 PM (#941242 - in reply to #941091)

You can't even catch salmon Tuffy1 (aka Skinny Tin Can). LOL Rolling back into the musky game here. I will have to go with Mepps (too small for most guys, but catch big fish) and fishing open water suspendos. Dusting off and cleaning up a couple good old DDD's I found buried. Now, to get into the deep water game again too.
RJ_692
Posted 6/24/2019 12:53 PM (#941244 - in reply to #941091)

tuffy1 - 6/21/2019 9:12 AM

I have to say throwing cranks. I catch more fish on cranks every year than blades typically (obviously that can change based on the weather, etc) but I rarely see guys throwing cranks (depthraiders, triple ds, etc) and have slid in behind other boats throwing blades and caught fish.

That and counting baits down. Fishing off breaks targeting baitfish and hooks that we may see and getting baits (dawgs, dussas, bondys) down to them.

Seems many guys like to pound weeds over and over, when the fish can be where there boats are and all they need to do is fish parallel with baits that get down.

This is something i tell myself i need to do every year, and i never really get going. I have so much confidence with cranks for other species but have never been able to get to the musky crank game with any consistency.
tuffy1
Posted 7/2/2019 8:34 AM (#941623 - in reply to #941242)

Coach13 - 6/24/2019 12:24 PM

You can't even catch salmon Tuffy1 (aka Skinny Tin Can). LOL Rolling back into the musky game here. I will have to go with Mepps (too small for most guys, but catch big fish) and fishing open water suspendos. Dusting off and cleaning up a couple good old DDD's I found buried. Now, to get into the deep water game again too.

LOL, no kidding!! Been a tough year out there so far this year. marking lots, catching a few. I'll figure it out eventually. Just need more time on the water for sure!!

Matt DeVos
Posted 7/2/2019 9:44 AM (#941628 - in reply to #940445)

One tactic that I used to do fairly often was trolling spinnerbaits at a relatively high speed over the tops of weed flats and weed edges. The trick was to have the spinnerbait make contact with the weeds without constant fouling. The heavier version Rad Dog (single or tandem) at ~4.3-4.5mph worked pretty well although I'm sure most spinnerbaits would work. Adding weight obviously allows you to troll ever faster, although too fast and the bait will roll and get fouled very easily.

Obviously, the tactic works best before weeds get matted at their peak growth. But it sure allows you to cover water and I can recall a fair number of multiple fish outings. Seemed to work well under a variety of circumstances, but I always thought particularly effective when fishing was otherwise slow since as a tactic involving cover collisions it would be more apt to produce a reaction-type strike.

Not a tactic that is new or novel in any way....but can't say that I see many other folks trying this. Definitely works.
bwalsh
Posted 7/2/2019 7:38 PM (#941650 - in reply to #940445)

How far back do you troll your spinnerbaits? This sounds like a prop wash technique.
Matt DeVos
Posted 7/2/2019 9:18 PM (#941653 - in reply to #941650)

bwalsh - 7/2/2019 7:38 PM

How far back do you troll your spinnerbaits? This sounds like a prop wash technique.

typically 40-45', but sometimes less and sometimes more depending upon the weed depth/thickness and preferred speed
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)