Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Tiger fishing

Message Subject: Tiger fishing
PurpleBuck8
Posted 6/3/2019 8:03 AM (#940273)
Subject: Tiger fishing

Does anyone fish any differently when fishing for Tiger muskies? Never caught one before and thinking of trying.
jdsplasher
Posted 6/3/2019 11:24 AM (#940284 - in reply to #940273)
Subject: RE: Tiger fishing

Years ago, when the DNR mostly stocked tigers in SE  Wisconsin, we used to Rip Fandango's through thick Milfoil in the summer months. Strange as it sounds, you would think the tiger, being part pike, would drop down into deep water. Contrary to our beliefs, the Tigers would bury in the thick Milfoil.

Also caught a lot of bonus fish doing that...4-5 lb Bass, 22-27" eyes. A lot of work ripping weeds. Could muster about 5 hours of this technique. But after doing this for hours, usually showed us 1-3 tigers, couple dandy bass, and maybe a nice eye or 2.

JD

DaytonS
Posted 6/3/2019 11:43 AM (#940287 - in reply to #940273)
Subject: Re: Tiger fishing

Almost all of my tiger catches have been casting shorelines in areas that pike would normally haunt, as JD mentioned. However, the couple nicer ones (40"+) have been in deep, rocky bays that the big muskie like.
PurpleBuck8
Posted 6/3/2019 11:52 AM (#940290 - in reply to #940284)

When I google "Fandango" all i get is movie reviews. lol. Got a pic of one or something similar?
happy hooker
Posted 6/3/2019 12:55 PM (#940295 - in reply to #940290)

If you can find a CJs double willow spinnerbait you have the best Minnesota tiger lure but they are hard to find.
Tigers love spoons,doctors,daredevils etc
Unlike pure strains if a tiger charges your bait don't be afraid to stop your retrieve and let it catch it, when tigers come they usually mean business
The best weather conditions I've found are hot cut the air with a knife humid dead calm days with mourning and evenings of those being the magic time.
Check the dnr stocking reports and see if there are some lakes that got heavier stocking 4-6 years past
If your locally go talk to Josh Stevenson owner of blue ribbon bait and former state record holder,,he's forgotten more about tigers then we will ever know,,he's really into spoon plugs for tigers.

Edited by happy hooker 6/3/2019 1:28 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 6/3/2019 1:09 PM (#940297 - in reply to #940295)

I've only caught a few so I can't say for sure, but they were all in places you'd think were way too shallow and way too warm for a muskie to be hanging out, and on those stupid hot flat muggy days where you think "well... We're not catching anything today."

jdsplasher
Posted 6/3/2019 1:12 PM (#940299 - in reply to #940297)

Tigers also like purple Bucks...

FANDANGO !

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_0803[1].JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0803[1].JPG (75KB - 406 downloads)
BretRobert1
Posted 6/4/2019 10:46 PM (#940375 - in reply to #940273)

Good feedback so far.

Like regular muskies, tigers go through seasonal migration/feeding patterns; however tigers' patterns are different than reg. muskies. When you do start catching them, pay attention to the variables (a couple are referenced above, but there are others that are just as, or more imporant). After a while, you'll notice that certain patterns repeat like clock work year after year, and when certain traits line up; they tend to really go off. The milfoil bite during certain periods can be hot as referenced above, and at other times, I wonder why I'm spending so much time cranking in milfoil every third cast.

As for follows, they definitely carry more of the pike characteristic. They tend to come in hot, but that doesn't mean they're going to eat. I'd be willing to bet, a lot of tiger follows are missed by anglers b/c they typically follow back a little farther behind the bait and their backs are more of a dark olive color. On the water I fish, green glass lensed Costas are a game changer for seeing them. Also, on the lakes I fish (stocked population around 1 fish to every 1.25 acres every other year and the other significantly less) they absolutely don't go around on the 8. When they do follow, they typically make a do-or-die decision about 6-8 feet from the boat and often times when they do commit, they violenty commit striking at an L angle and are nearly horizontal to the angler when they eat. Personally, I think figure 8ing for tigers is detrimental b/c they tend to be so boat shy. By the time you get to the start of a standard figure 8 or oval, they've shot off in either direction or just stopped in their tracks. Instead, when my bait gets about 6 feet from the boat I turn my bait in an L turn, trying to extend the cast and keeping it closer to their striking range. I've talked to a couple people that put good sizes and numbers in the boat out west, and they've said the same thing in regards to not getting them on the 8.

Baits: you'll catch them on what's referenced above. I hear a lot of people say to use smaller baits for tigers. They work, but so do regular sized musky baits and bigger. Color patterns change and go hot and cold each year.

A few more major differences between tigers and regular lunge: I've caught them after dark, but not many. Also, in the late fall, I spend a helluva lot more time between bites than during warmer periods--like, significantly more. Daily moon phases aren't nearly as significant in general for tigers, but, time of day typically is. I have noticed that some of my biggest tigers have came during peak times during a solunar event, though.

Good luck to you.

PurpleBuck8
Posted 6/5/2019 11:57 AM (#940407 - in reply to #940273)

thanks for the tips
true tiger tamer
Posted 6/5/2019 4:04 PM (#940423 - in reply to #940273)

Tigers on some lakes bite very well after dark. They often go really shallow if there is some kind of cover for them to lay by. When I say shallow I mean shallow; I've had several jump on the strike and land briefly on shore. I've done much better on slightly smaller lures when it comes to tigers, and I've caught some real big fish. My best night ever was during a full moon in August when I had 14 hit, stuck 7, but only landed 3. They can really throw a lure on the jump and most jump. Good luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)