Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Rigging my boat for solo trolling

Message Subject: Rigging my boat for solo trolling
Nomadmusky
Posted 5/30/2019 10:48 PM (#940120)
Subject: Rigging my boat for solo trolling

Okay, I'm working on rigging my boat for some solo trolling. I'm in Wisconsin so I can use up to 3 rods. I've got my Tuffy Esox LTD to configure the rods into.

The rods I have are St. Croix Mojo Musky Trolling rods, (one 7'XHM, one 8'HM, and one 9'XHM) all rigged with Shimano 500 Tekotas with 80lb Seaguar Threadlock braid with 80lb or 100lb Seaguar Esox leader. I have green line, but could change to white or blue if there are any advantages to help identify rods and lures. I could also go to 100lb or 130lb braid.

I want to make it so it's the best layout to see the rods, access the rods and land a fish when fishing by myself.

I have two Down Easter clamp on rod holders, and three of the new Stealth QR2 rod holders. I plan to attach two of the Stealth rod holders to the transom out to the corners, but don't know if I would use both of them when trolling. I can clamp the Down Easter's anywhere. I have four boards, although I'd prefer to only use one (I think) when trolling by myself.

What do I need to be aware of when placing these rods and is three too many for one person?

I know there are a lot of layers to this onion.

Kevin
joh10891
Posted 5/30/2019 11:04 PM (#940122 - in reply to #940120)
Subject: RE: Rigging my boat for solo trolling

Honestly from experience 3 rods is a lot for one person. The actual setup and trolling part isn't that bad, but landing a fish can get awful in the wind with 2 extra baits floating around and the boat drifting. And that's in open water- clearing weeds is a whole another hassle. My preference is one shorter rod angled near the rear of the boat, tip in the water, running a crankbait around 30-40 ft back, and another longer rod on the side of the boat running a bait around 60-70ft back. Running bigger baits on the short rod, smaller on the long rod. Both rods set up on same side of boat- makes monitoring them easier while steering or checking electronics. No boards. Just seems much much more manageable, but everyone has their own preferences. Just my 2 cents

Edited by joh10891 5/30/2019 11:47 PM
ToddM
Posted 5/31/2019 2:19 AM (#940123 - in reply to #940120)
Subject: Re: Rigging my boat for solo trolling

In have trolled 3 rods by myself using 2 boards and caught fish doing it from a tiller boat. Personally I would mount the 3 stealth rod holders and use them. Easier to use. This is an age old debate, many would disagree, I would jump out of my boat clutching the anchor if I tried solo with DE holders. Mount two of them on the side you face, the other forward of you on the side you sit. You can see them all this way. I have two on each side though I don't always troll alone and I may not always want to troll in one direction based on wind and structure layout.

Edited by ToddM 5/31/2019 2:23 AM
North of 8
Posted 5/31/2019 7:38 AM (#940132 - in reply to #940123)

Just remember if you are fishing in northern WI, one rod per angler, max of two per boat when trolling.
TheShow
Posted 5/31/2019 8:41 PM (#940180 - in reply to #940132)

North of 8 - 5/31/2019 7:38 AM

Just remember if you are fishing in northern WI, one rod per angler, max of two per boat when trolling.

One per person with a max of 3 allowed in northern WI as of spring 2018.
Nomadmusky
Posted 5/31/2019 8:48 PM (#940181 - in reply to #940120)

Back to the question, and I'm in Southern Wisconsin.
Jerry Newman
Posted 6/1/2019 11:00 AM (#940204 - in reply to #940120)

Nomadmusky - 5/30/2019 10:48 PM Okay, I'm working on rigging my boat for some solo trolling. I'm in Wisconsin so I can use up to 3 rods. I've got my Tuffy Esox LTD to configure the rods into. The rods I have are St. Croix Mojo Musky Trolling rods, (one 7'XHM, one 8'HM, and one 9'XHM) all rigged with Shimano 500 Tekotas with 80lb Seaguar Threadlock braid with 80lb or 100lb Seaguar Esox leader. I have green line, but could change to white or blue if there are any advantages to help identify rods and lures. I could also go to 100lb or 130lb braid. I want to make it so it's the best layout to see the rods, access the rods and land a fish when fishing by myself. I have two Down Easter clamp on rod holders, and three of the new Stealth QR2 rod holders. I plan to attach two of the Stealth rod holders to the transom out to the corners, but don't know if I would use both of them when trolling. I can clamp the Down Easter's anywhere. I have four boards, although I'd prefer to only use one (I think) when trolling by myself. What do I need to be aware of when placing these rods and is three too many for one person? I know there are a lot of layers to this onion. Kevin

Run 3! I have a strong preference for high visibility mono versus braid... but to each their own.

I recommend 2 boards and 1 down rod, rather than 2 down rods and 1 board, you can put them all on one side if that’s going to be easier for you to keep an eye on them. I'll typically run this set-up, and even 3 boards on one side solo (unless it's a down rod bite) to help keep all 3 baits in higher percentage water. Maybe start with 1-2 rods and add rods as you become better acclimated.

The reason I recommend the 2 board configuration is that the down rods should be cleared when battling a fish, if a fish strikes your board rod, clearing the 2 down rods could be tough in the beginning. There’s no need to bring in the board rods when fighting a fish unless you're trolling sinking lures over potential snags, hence floating lures for your board rods while learning. Standing in the center of the boat as long as possible while setting rods, and getting your boat moving with the wind after a hook-up is going to be helpful.  

Next onion layer stuff here; I run the drags slightly lighter on inside rods in all trolling configurations, this helps get the hooked fish behind the outside board lines. Hitting the gas for 5 seconds or so after a strike will massively help with separation… also sets the hooks if you have your drags set correctly.

Help this helps – GL!

Nomadmusky
Posted 6/1/2019 1:31 PM (#940212 - in reply to #940204)

@ Jerry,

That is some good information and I had set up my boat like that, (one down and two board rods) initially and had thought about it. You confirmed that idea and added the lighter drag on inside rods and have helped move my thoughts on only going with one down rod. Good information.

Initially I think I will stick with two rods before I put out a second board rod to start things out. Although I'm still in the information gathering stage.

Kevin
jdsplasher
Posted 6/1/2019 11:22 PM (#940229 - in reply to #940212)

Kevin; you may want to specify what lakes U plan to fish in SE WI.   And, NOT sure if Jerry N. Has ever trolled in SE. WI? 

My suggestion/Probably rod on each side, and down rod, or, 2 Down,1 side....your best bet!

Not sure if your lakes lack weeds, but SE, WI lakes are chock full of floaters....starting Now!!! Have you ever run a planer board up on a island of weeds? Results are broken rods, and Much Frustration! Ever try to reel in a planer boardW/10-20 lbs of weeds? Floaters/ boards will destroy your ability to fish/troll/productivity! Planer boards in SE WI....well maybe in the late fall when all the pleasure boaters are snuggled in for the winter;)

Speed and depth control is a whole lot more important, than running multiple lines. Learn your line lengths, learn your structure, learn baits running depths!!! Learn your lakes on how fish set up shop.

Planer boards may be better used on lakes like GB, or Winnebago....or maybe just troll the leeward sides.

Good Luck!

JD

Edited by jdsplasher 6/1/2019 11:23 PM
Nomadmusky
Posted 6/2/2019 8:03 AM (#940231 - in reply to #940229)

@JD,

You bring up great points which were verified by my attempts to drag planer boards through the Madison lakes with floating weeds everywhere last night.

I even just worked the middle of the lake to make it easy to work on my set up, (I wasn't concerned about location) and was constantly getting big clumps of weeds on my boards.

Last night was my first attempt, now I will retool and adjust.

Kevin
Jerry Newman
Posted 6/2/2019 8:30 AM (#940234 - in reply to #940229)

Funny stuff… I've heard there are muskies in Green Bay and rumor has it that you haven't seen real floaters until you've fished there with a NE wind… but that's just a rumor.  Seriously, JD is right in that sometimes no matter what you do you simply cannot run boards.

However, I have also run boards on small floating weed infested inland lakes without much hassle.  I've actually had more issues with fouled lures in these situations than with the boards accumulating too many weeds. But then again...

Back in the day we would get so many floaters accumulating on the boards that they would spin, and we would literally have to stop the boat just to get that board in. However, about 10 years ago I also devised a solution that eliminated the spinning, and that also combats the accumulation JD speaks of... with just a little piece of braided line.

The real beauty of this is little modification is that when the boards become loaded they will just drag behind the boat… and they are super easy to bring in. There are so many other tricks and minor technique tweaks you can do to help put a few more percentage points in your favor… but developing them is also part of the fun. Enjoy!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Boards (1).jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Boards (2).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Boards (1).jpg (53KB - 438 downloads)
Attachments Boards (2).jpg (44KB - 434 downloads)
wismedic
Posted 6/2/2019 9:01 PM (#940262 - in reply to #940120)

Depending on the lakes you fish. In clear water I use 2 boards and a down rod to spread my lures with the good visibility. Stained water I use 2 down rods and 1 board. When its weedy I usually just use 2 down rods that I run back a bit and then throw 1 close in the prop wash so I am not fighting with boards to clear baits. I also us a 4ft leader and clip the points on a treble hook to put at the top when its weedy. The treble hook catches most floaters and leaves my bait in the water and effective longer. I troll a lot by myself. Eventually after you screw up enough you learn what works for you. It depends on your boat, your lake, your rods and your frustration level. I have had days where I can only run 1 rod. I just accept it make that rod as efficient as possible. I also Recommend getting a straight back plainer. They look like a cone. If you have 2 rods out with both baits back 30 feet 1 bait will actually be 30ft back and the other will be 30ft back from the board that's 50ft back. You wont get tangled fighting fish then. Hope it helps. any questions feel free to message me.
Nomadmusky
Posted 6/3/2019 8:22 AM (#940274 - in reply to #940120)

@wismedic

I've actually used the Church's cones and think they are a great idea.
Jerry Newman
Posted 6/9/2019 8:57 AM (#940584 - in reply to #940262)

wismedic - 6/2/2019 9:01 PM Eventually after you screw up enough you learn what works for you.

Such a great statement and unfortunately so true…

Zinox
Posted 6/9/2019 9:17 AM (#940586 - in reply to #940120)

I found it extremely useful, to have the trolling motor in the water and. When i get a take, i turn the trolling motor on and hit the heading lock, it keeps the boat moving forward and i don't have to worry about boat control when fighting the fish alone.

I run 2 boards and 1 down rod, if there's a lot of wind, ill just use 2 rods without the boards.
wismedic
Posted 6/10/2019 12:07 AM (#940608 - in reply to #940120)

Anther thought. As dumb as it sounds. Netting a musky solo with a moving boat is really, really hard. I have learned once I get the musky close to boat I cut the engine.
supertrollr
Posted 6/10/2019 10:44 AM (#940616 - in reply to #940608)

jd is right,trolling is more than just using rods all around the boats ,fishing everywhere ,hopping for the best.many guys that have never trolled thinks it is too easy to troll,they imagine that you can move here and there and hopping for the best. but it is not like that at all.in fact sometimes trolling is even harder .precision is key.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)